The Coleman Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think I speak for most everyone when I say- come back with pics.

One slight deviation from the Coleman theme is I have a propane lantern that is, I think, Primus. I've tried to find some details. I believe it's marked 1977. Thing is, I can't find another even close to it. The lantern head sits on a propane tank of about 10lb size, and has a neck about two feet long. The tank is marked DOT, but I think that only related to transporting.

And where are your pics??? ;)

Toochie! I'll snap a few of the pile this weekend and post Monday. I'll stick the Primus in just because it's a cool set up. Keep in mind that they are in varying degrees of restoration or dilapidation. A funny one for me is my dual fuel stove doesn't work for crap (I think it has the wrong generator on it), but the old stove my dad gave me runs like a top, even though he repainted it, first yellow, then black.

My wife walked in the door after coming home from work smelling like she had rolled around in diesel.

She handed me a bag and said her co-worker found one of those lantern things in her garage.

It turned out to be a kerosene wick style Dietz #2 D-Lite.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Other than it smelling $&@%, it seems to be complete and in good shape. I haven't had a chance to light it yet, I'm curious how much light it puts out.

Speaking of kerosene, I did a diesel swap a while back on one of my ugly 242's. I turned it into a faux 234.

I put on a (201?) kerosene generator and preheat cup, painted the tank in a close match to Coleman seafoam, and applied a reproduction sticker.

I actually robbed the seafoam vent from my dad's birthday lantern and switched it for a near-mint dark green one.

Here's the fount, painted, stickered, & clearcoated, curing in the "oven"...

image.jpg

image.jpg

To light a kerosene lantern, you first fill the preheat cup with alcohol and light. This preheats the generator so the kerosene will vaporize.

When it's almost out, open the valve and the cup lights the mantle for you.

image.jpg

$$$...

image.jpg

Last edited:
Your 242 looks great. I did the same, but converted it back. For me, the 201 gen tip would clog after 1 hour run time.you would need to remember to run the tip cleaner every 15 minutes or so to keep it at full brightness. If you forgot, it would just go out, but slowly ooze kerosene, which would run all over the lantern and really stink.

I hope yours does not do that, but watch for it. I think the 201 generator is just too small, as it isn't "fat" like most kero generators.

Your 242 looks great. I did the same, but converted it back. For me, the 201 gen tip would clog after 1 hour run time.you would need to remember to run the tip cleaner every 15 minutes or so to keep it at full brightness. If you forgot, it would just go out, but slowly ooze kerosene, which would run all over the lantern and really stink.

I hope yours does not do that, but watch for it. I think the 201 generator is just too small, as it isn't "fat" like most kero generators.

I've only run it a few times without issue, but maybe not long enough to clog it. I'll keep an eye on it.

I did "cut" the kero with about 25% Coleman fuel.

That's cool Pete-I've never seen one of those Canadian ones.

I have a 518d also, close to the same condition and they work well. They are smaller than then the big Coleman catalytic heaters, but they work for my needs.

I want a little water can foot heater like that one!

My wife walked in the door after coming home from work smelling like she had rolled around in diesel.

Other than it smelling $&@%, it seems to be complete and in good shape. I haven't had a chance to light it yet, I'm curious how much light it puts out.
I have nearly the exact lantern, mine is branded K-Mart. trim the wick off square before you light it and clean the lens. They don't put out a lot of light I got mine back in the 70's for night fishing, just enough light to tie a leader but not so much as to totally kill your night vision. Now days we use it for evening meals on the patio and camping.

My 518d puts out so little heat I was wondering if it wasn't working properly. I took a look inside and the wick was looking good so I guess it's just weaker than I thought it would be. But it is nice and I look forward to giving it a good go this weekend.

Oh yeah-and that little water bottle does a great job. It's copper and has a pressure release cap. A Boy Scout canteen would also work very well.

Pete

Last edited:
With the knowledge of a new family member on the way I began researching pop-ups about a year ago. Having settled on the size of trailer we wanted I scored this beauty of a 1983 Coleman Columbia on Craigslist. My mods and build documentation will take place (albeit slowly) on this popupportal thread: "1983 Coleman Columbia".

15743151734_1f83d2c909_k.jpg

Perfect candidate for SOA, look forward to the build thread!

image.jpg
image.jpg
My Dad called and stated he finally cleaned out his attic and found a couple things that might interest me....could care less about the old, dated ski equip, ect.. This stove and lantern bring back great memories camping along the Snake River near Jackson Hole in the early 70's. Spent all morning cleaning them up. Everything fired up nicely!! Score! Thanks Dad.

Thanks! The memories alone make them worth their weight in gold to me. I plan to take very good care of them.

Perfect score. Great stove, for a 425, that's the one to have. What is the date on the tank tabs?

And you got a 228 big hat (vs a 220) as a first lantern.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom