rear body mounts (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I haven't gotten down to the lower parts, but on your second picture on the reverse I pull the thing apart and there are springs and little guides that had been filled up with gummy stuff. Silicone,a little fuel, and air cleaned it all out. Super simple and quite effective, marked difference.
Also adjusted the horn connection. I know it doesn't seem like much but for the life of my rig the horn has been hit or miss! Now it is full time.
Where is the horn connection? How did you adjust it? My 72 has a non working horn. I am looking for direction on how to remedy. TIA.

When you pull off the steering wheel the is a little price of pliable metal, copper I am guessing, that runs along a copper ring on the front of the wheel. I just bent it up a bit so there was good contact when I put the wheel back on. No big deal. You'll see it when you get there. Three little bolts on the front side of the wheel and one I forget the size bolt and you will have access. While your there get that area all cleaned out and lubed and you will be happy! One hour maybe.

When you pull off the steering wheel the is a little price of pliable metal, copper I am guessing, that runs along a copper ring on the front of the wheel. I just bent it up a bit so there was good contact when I put the wheel back on. No big deal. You'll see it when you get there. Three little bolts on the front side of the wheel and one I forget the size bolt and you will have access. While your there get that area all cleaned out and lubed and you will be happy! One hour maybe.

On my 40, mine was cracked and broke when I went to adjust it. I bent up a paper clip and replaced the copper strip w/ paper clip, works fine! It wasn't that I was opposed to replacing w/ the factory piece, but sometimes when you find stuff on a Sunday, you don't want to leave your rig torn apart all week while you wait for a new piece to come in...

After loading the rig up with four guys and all their gear and swashing all over the freeway and adding up the rest of the little hints I realize I need new leaf springs.
I read up on using the fj75 leafs and it sounds like its the way to go. The thread didn't seem to end. Anyone have any updates on that info? Cruiseroutfit seemed like the person to get in touch with.

Anyone have any updates on that info? Cruiseroutfit seemed like the person to get in touch with.
I have the fj75 rear springs from Cruiser outfiters and still feel the need for a heaver sway bar but yes Kurt is the guy to talk to about the heavier rear springs

I have read that he has light medium and heavy. What did you go with? I am thinking going with the heaviest.

By the way just got those rear lights in!! Super excited to get them in the rig! You had mentioned a template? I would be game to get it from you if it was not too much of a hassel. Forgot to order the mounting plates. Did you, by chance, remember if the kit comes with two or does one have to order two kits?

I have read that he has light medium and heavy. What did you go with? I am thinking going with the heaviest.

By the way just got those rear lights in!! Super excited to get them in the rig! You had mentioned a template? I would be game to get it from you if it was not too much of a hassel. Forgot to order the mounting plates. Did you, by chance, remember if the kit comes with two or does one have to order two kits?

To the best of my recollection Kurt offers two kits light and heavy and the rear springs are the same for both, the heavy front spring has an extra leaf and is about 350 lbs more rate. You will need to move your rear hangers back 5” for the rear springs.

I’m not an expert and I suggest you call Kurt to get the straight story on the products he sells.

The wedge kits come in pairs, if you send them to me I’ll mark cut lines on them for you unless you’re good at figuring angles then just measure the body and transfer the dimensions to the wedges.

Thanks
I had already sent a pm to Kurt. I will get the skinny from him. Too crazy with all the fish tailing on the freeway.

Of coarse I couldn't tell if the kits came in two so I ordered two. Happy to hear that the order includes two, means I'll be getting some dinero back! When I get them I'll pm you. Thanks again

Pulled the trigger on a big one today- new leaf springs! After talking with Bryce and Ben over at cruiser outfitters decided on going with the constant heavies in the rear and the regular in the front. Figure that in the long run the constant heavies in the rear will be more to my needs, with my friends all egging me on to go up this or that-DAVE.

With the 55 gallon gass tank and the bigger bumper in the rear with a 33 hanging up there and one or two people in the back etc it won't take much to reach the weights. If it turns out to be too back jarring I can just remove a leaf to get back to the regular heavies.

They should arrive in a week or two. I'll post up my findings.

Two things to think about when you put your new springs in.
First, my front end had 1.5 degree of caster from the factory and after I installed the kit I had -2 degrees. A plan to cut and turn at the same time as the spring install would have saved me time and money.
Second, with the heavy rear springs and regular front springs my pig stink bugged and even after removing two leaves from the rear it still suffered when I was below 1/2 tank, I also have a 50 gallon fuel tank. I'm having my fronts re-arched 2" and putting the leaves back in the rear to level my rig.

Two things to think about when you put your new springs in.
First, my front end had 1.5 degree of caster from the factory and after I installed the kit I had -2 degrees. A plan to cut and turn at the same time as the spring install would have saved me time and money.
Second, with the heavy rear springs and regular front springs my pig stink bugged and even after removing two leaves from the rear it still suffered when I was below 1/2 tank, I also have a 50 gallon fuel tank. I'm having my fronts re-arched 2" and putting the leaves back in the rear to level my rig.

x2. I lost all semblance of caster when I lifted my 40.

Got the leafs in.
Caster...? How does one check to see if the caster is still good. Is it only a issue in front or is the rear affected as well.
Pictures
What I had and what went in.
DSC00033.JPG
DSC00032.JPG
DSC00031.JPG

Only tiny bit of stink bug with no weight.
DSC00034.JPG

The leafs in the rear are way more visible and exposed. Curious to see if that has any affect on wheeling.
DSC00036.JPG

The crazy swaying is pretty much gone. Stoked. Doesn't ride super hard even though the rear shackles (without weight) are almost verticle.

Some more pics
By the way I am riding on heavies in the front and constant heavies in the rear.
DSC00037.JPG

DSC00035.JPG

Of coarse I took it out wheeling immediately. Actually took it out before I got the fronts in. So I will be going out to see what the scene is like with the fronts in.
I am definitly satisfied with replacing. The old leafs were definitly sagging and beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom