Firewood? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dan, story on that splitter. Does not look like something available on today's market..

It is a Lickety Split Log Splitter that was made in Pique, Ohio.
Has 8hp cast iron Kohler engine, 35 ton two stage pump and ram. The 4-way knife head is simply awesome.
My father was a dealer for them in the late 1970's - mid 1980's. This is the one he bought for himself in 1984. We used it to heat our house. My brother and my sister sold firewood commercially and used it. I bought it from him in 2004.

I think the upper end Timberwolf is on par with this splitter.

I've been keeping an eye out for another one but they are not common in California.

The neighbors and I pitched in on a 30 ton Honda powered rental last season, looked identical to one of the units in the Northern Tool catalog. Their new purchase.

Between the 3 of us we probably ran 10 cords of Southern Arizona oak through it and although the thing got the job done, it seemed like it was built for the Harry Homeowner who burned softwood.

Story short, after we were done, the hydraulic cylinder sprung a leak, and the plates that hold the wedge to the I-beam were in the need for major R&R.. Cool thing about rentals, you can test drive before purchase..:)

Reason I asked is that machine of yours looks pretty bulletproof.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421548716.623550.jpg

Spent a couple hours yesterday cutting wood. I got enough to get through a month or so depending on the weather here in Texas. I usually get a full beds worth but all the good downed oak was way back on the property and I didn't have the Mule available yesterday.

Finally, someone who may cut more than I do. I have some mountain property in the Snowy Range Mountains here in Wyoming. The pine beatle came through in the mid 2000's and totally did their thing. The funny thing is, the forest is coming back better than ever. Here are some pictures, somehow though I don't have any of our saws. We like Stihl, of course.

I miss the snowies :(

went to school at UW and also taught skiing out at the Snowy Range

good times...

Back to the topic -
In 2010, we built a new house up in the western part of Virginia in the mountains. We heat our house with an outside woodstove. I mainly burn oak, but whatever trees are down get burned as well. I go through a military trailer load of wood every two weeks typically...

10363821_10205010875849952_8194291584332662459_n.jpg

Thought this might fit in here.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421988398.767918.jpg

fire canon I made out of a rotten oak round.

Last edited:
Spent a couple hours yesterday cutting wood. I got enough to get through a month or so depending on the weather here in Texas. I usually get a full beds worth but all the good downed oak was way back on the property and I didn't have the Mule available yesterday.

If you have too much wood on the property and want to get rid of some, please call me. I still have a couple of cords, but am always looking for a source of replenishment.

thats cool when you are young my heating bill is never over 600.00 dollars a year and all that work is not worth it to me when i could be doing other stuff .its cool to see how the other half lives though be safe

I'd like to hear how the other half heats their house for 5 to 6 months with no more than $600? Solar, geothermal,

I can't even heat my house for $600/year in Texas. All my heating is done by propane, only cut cost a tad using my fireplace.

I can't even heat my house for $600/year in Texas. All my heating is done by propane, only cut cost a tad using my fireplace.

We put a fireplace insert in our house and the heater does not kick on. If you do get one, make sure it sticks out so you can cook on it for when the electricity is out.

We put a fireplace insert in our house and the heater does not kick on. If you do get one, make sure it sticks out so you can cook on it for when the electricity is out.
It's definitely on the list. Wife and I were talking about that may be something we use our tax refund for.

Splitshot - Love that old Ford!
We have a really well insulated house, so we go through less than 2 cords every winter on Vancouver Island. Mind, when a tree blows over
around our place, it's usually almost a cord all by itself.

About the House 067.jpg

Yep. I cut a lot of wood.

Interestingly, the place we currently rent only has a pellet stove, so I'm just stockpiling for the future. I also haul it to my sister and things.

I think this is most of the woodcutting equipment in a single pic. MS-290, and an MSA-200-C-BQ (LOVE this little electric saw).
wood 1.jpg

Obviously that's the 61, and the view is our property.

Here's what I haul it with:
wood 2.jpg

I estimate that it will haul 2-3 cords. It's a MUCH bigger truck than it looks like there. A deuce and a half hood comes up to the fenders, about. ;) (yes, it's 4WD if that's not clear from the pic)

Dan

Cudos for keeping that old handsome dude is service.:cheers:

Anyone have experience with pecan? Ran into a source and have only heard horror stories of what it can do to a chain..

I love it for Smoking...

Just borrow a saw if you're concerned ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom