Paracord stuff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
A cheap and effective tensioner for paracord, also opens beer! Just add a 1/8" hole to one of those freebie aluminium bottle openers. Super light, free, and works like a charm.

Where do you get these for free?

yea,,,

everytime you open your beer your tent falls down...:bang:

brillant...:flipoff2:

:beer:
I'm fairly confident I could open a beer using the tensioner from one guy without losing the whole tent.

Where do you get these for free?
I got that one at a home brew supply store but I have another one I got from Marlin.

Pretty cool, but I go old school. Takes up less space, leaves your line available for other uses.
Incidentally, if you're using either system for something like a tent or fly guyline, you'll always (even on the following pic) see the adjustmet at the tent peg. This is short sighted. Put it at the top of the tent pole and it's much easier to adjust. 'Specially if you're old and stove-up.

tautline_hitch2.jpg

To tie down a load without ratchet straps try this, also old school.
You can double or triple them up for compound leverage.
This (and most) pic shows tying off at the loop but I prefer to run the end back through the anchor and tying two half hitches around the all three lines at the anchor--also gives you more leverage as you tighten it down.

images

I prefer paracord for making noise makers :)

11169862_10205268687590755_3571857004700475933_n.jpg

To tie down a load without ratchet straps try this, also old school.
You can double or triple them up for compound leverage.
This (and most) pic shows tying off at the loop but I prefer to run the end back through the anchor and tying two half hitches around the all three lines at the anchor--also gives you more leverage as you tighten it down.

images
Probably easier to do a directional figure 8 knot, and if using paracord allow a LOT of room since the cord is gonna stretch. I've used this quite often and all it takes is a clove hitch at the end to tie it off. But I could be just nitpicking at this point :flipoff2:

Probably easier to do a directional figure 8 knot, and if using paracord allow a LOT of room since the cord is gonna stretch. I've used this quite often and all it takes is a clove hitch at the end to tie it off. But I could be just nitpicking at this point :flipoff2:

Not sure what you mean by directional figure 8 knot, have you a pic?

All in how you learned it. I picked up the trucker's hitch tying down drywall on trucks. The advantages are ease of untying--yank on the right bits and it just falls out of the rope--and the compound leverage thing. You really can get stuff as tight as with ratchet straps.

Pretty cool, but I go old school. Takes up less space, leaves your line available for other uses.
Incidentally, if you're using either system for something like a tent or fly guyline, you'll always (even on the following pic) see the adjustmet at the tent peg. This is short sighted. Put it at the top of the tent pole and it's much easier to adjust. 'Specially if you're old and stove-up.

tautline_hitch2.jpg
That's one of the knots every camper should know. Not sure how it uses less line or takes up less space, but it is one of my favorite knots.

Not sure what you mean by directional figure 8 knot, have you a pic?

All in how you learned it. I picked up the trucker's hitch tying down drywall on trucks. The advantages are ease of untying--yank on the right bits and it just falls out of the rope--and the compound leverage thing. You really can get stuff as tight as with ratchet straps.
I learned the same knot delivering furniture, we used mule tape to tie stuff to the slats inside the panel truck. It really doesn't work that well with paracord.

Essentially same/same but without as much cool factor, more options for colors, cheaper and resists weather better.

There are some differences (there really is nothing like a well made kangaroo whip) but for the cost and durability, It's a slam dunk.

I made a 8' Bullwhip for my youngest. he's having a great time with it. My next whip will be a 6' stockwhip in paracord so I can go all Snowy River while driving the cruiser or riding a motorcycle.

That's one of the knots every camper should know. Not sure how it uses less line or takes up less space, but it is one of my favorite knots.

Doesn't use less line, but is easier to store 'cause there's no gizmo attached to the line. Which is why the line is available for other use when not employed as a guy line--it's not a dedicated guy line, just a piece of useful rope. ;)

you'd want to chamfer the holes pretty well I assume. Or is it a compromise between cutting the cord and getting positive lock?

the bottle opener/paracord locking mechanism is not designed for extreme weights.. I doubt that a sharp edge on a drilled hole in Aluminum would cause issue..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom