1969 FJ55 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On a less encouraging note, I took the time this week to gather reciepts and total up the bill thus far. I think i threw up in my mouth a little bit

Cut and Turn finally done. Swapped in Longfield axles and used Trail Gears Knuckle sandwich kit to service the knuckles. Pinion angle set at 14-15 degrees then 4-5 degrees castor added.

Thanks Ron. I have 4.11's with arb air lockers

Right now I'm planning on running 35's

Bobm's patch panels put to good use. Thanks Bob!

Door and hood hinges rebuilt courtesy of Midgainc!

Had the traction bar installed. Initially planned to weld a back plate on so that the rear axle attachment went all the way around the axle, but when we got to that point the whole thing looked so beefy, that it seemed unnecessary.

Next step is front a rear antisway bars. I have a stock 55 rear swaybar which won't connect to the 60 axle in the stock locations. So my question is, will it still function properly if the sway bar is connected on top of the axle? I can have new mount points fabricated with one end connected on top of the pumpkin and the other could be attached to the back of the traction bar mount (which are the locations on the axles the links line up to using the stock sway bar mounting on the frame).

Would that work?

Last edited:
I have a 60 front anti sway bar but i'm not sure if its going to work. I have the 4x4 frombe high steer kit which makes the fit a little tight on the sway bar links.

Anyone have any pics of a successful install of a 60 front sway bar on their pig?

Rodney,

On mine, I used the stock front mounts ( on the axle ) and had to make my own frame hangers. As you know, the axle is wider than the 55 frame and with my lift the stock hangers were too short and too narrow.

Here's the stock hanger with extended links.

IMG_1734.JPG

Here's the one I made.

IMG_1740.JPG

IMG_1739.JPG

Thanks Ron. That helps a lot. I just have to figure out how to fit it around the steering components

I have the 4x4 frombe high steer kit which makes the fit a little tight on the sway bar links.

Anyone have any pics of a successful install of a 60 front sway bar on their pig?

I have the same dilemma. If if the sway bar link is vertical, there is minimal clearance for the tie rod. I haven't decided if it the minimal clearance it has would be enough. When the springs flex, it will travel forward with the stock shackle position, but on extension it closes the gap which might be an issue.

I wonder if the sway bar link has to be completely vertical? If not, I ran across a link with a swivel on one end and we could mount the top to provide more clearance. I'm interested in the solution.

I have the same dilemma. If if the sway bar link is vertical, there is minimal clearance for the tie rod. I haven't decided if it the minimal clearance it has would be enough. When the springs flex, it will travel forward with the stock shackle position, but on extension it closes the gap which might be an issue.

I wonder if the sway bar link has to be completely vertical? If not, I ran across a link with a swivel on one end and we could mount the top to provide more clearance. I'm interested in the solution.

I tried to fit it again tonight, and i've decided to shelve the front sway bar for now. My outboarded springs are too wide for the sway bar, the spring over makes in impossible to run the sway bar along the axle in the stock position and the Frombe high steer makes for additional clearance issues. As best I can tell, I'd have to scrap the 60 sway bar and have something fabricated. I'm going to leave it off and then once its running if i get too much body roll, figure out the best solution at that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom