Best mods under $500 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So,

Recently my wife got herself another car (still Toyota) and I am keeping her 2011 Quicksand FJC. It is bone stock. I have enjoyed driving it but it needs masculinization.

What are the best mods I can do under $500. Been wanting an OME lift but that will naturally lead me to looking for bigger tires. Any ideas or experience out there y'all can share?

Pics are encouraged.

So,

Recently my wife got herself another car (still Toyota) and I am keeping her 2011 Quicksand FJC. It is bone stock. I have enjoyed driving it but it needs masculinization.

What are the best mods I can do under $500. Been wanting an OME lift but that will naturally lead me to looking for bigger tires. Any ideas or experience out there y'all can share?

Pics are encouraged.
What do you want to do with it?

Here is a good start

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/60034-first-2000-a.html

Thanks for the link.

I think slowly and systematically gravitate to expedition ready FJ. The first 3 items on the link fit my current budget and totally agree that protecting the underbelly is top priority especially if I am not gonna lift and add bigger tires anytime soon but would myself in rough terrain.

Thanks for the link.

I think slowly and systematically gravitate to expedition ready FJ. The first 3 items on the link fit my current budget and totally agree that protecting the underbelly is top priority especially if I am not gonna lift and add bigger tires anytime soon but would myself in rough terrain.
Cool good luck. I started from the bottom up. It's a slippery slope....

Skids and rails are very much at the top of the list, but honestly they are not going to give you the satisfaction of bettering the look that you are after. Lifting it up will do wonders, and the OEM skids can take a slight amount of abuse in the mean time. If going 'expedition' you will probably want a set of aluminum skids anyway...look at RCI ind Ricochet. The best deals are always around the holidays, but they also seem to have a lot of specials come tax tiime.

I recommend taking a look at the Toytec coilovers...you could pop those on and level it for now...then later get some rear springs and bump the front up more. You will be pleased with the look right off the bat and the ride should improve a lot as well.

Shame (for you) this deal looks to have gone though, but it is exactly what you might want: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ms/404978-wts-toytec-ultimate-coil-overs.html

What type of off roading do you do?
1) rock rails (not n-fab steps)
2) 3" lift
3) off road tires 285 or larger.
Everything else is a coin toss after the first 3.
Skids aren't all that important unless you like to rock crawl. Stock tin works fine.

for well less than $500 the following have proved useful ... I added a tranny cooler and I put a ScanGauge II that tracks tranny temp, fuel economy, etc ... some of you guys don't use them, but 2 convex mirrors that cost maybe $5 have been helpful ...

fun factor wise, but more than $500, I re-geared to 4.56 and added a front locker ...

What type of off roading do you do?
1) rock rails (not n-fab steps)
2) 3" lift
3) off road tires 285 or larger.
Everything else is a coin toss after the first 3.
Skids aren't all that important unless you like to rock crawl. Stock tin works fine.
I have yet to mod my FJ, but I have done plenty of off-roading, and I agree with the above. #4 might be lower rear axle links.

So I wanted to see how the Toytec coil overs felt. Happens that there is '11 FJC same color as mine but with this lift and 285 Duratracs at a dealer close by. The rep let me drive it around. I have to say that I was impressed how it handles on the road.....unfortunately no off-road. However I was not too impressed with the Duratracs on the road. As a daily driver the noise and feel would drive me nuts. Maybe have a set for adventure driving$$. Anyways, I think I am going to be patient and will save up for this lift (half way there). At first I wasn't thrilled about the baby poop color but I am diggin' the black wheels in combo with the quicksand color. What do you guys think?

image.jpg

black wheels look good with Quicksand ... if you're considering it, there's always the Plastidip option i.e. do your wheels drive it for a while and if you like it, leave it (or buy aftermarket wheels) ... if you don't like it, just peel it off ... I have a ToyTec Ultimate lift on my truck, no complaints ... Lots of lifts available for more or less money, but ToyTec works for me ...

Consider adding a transmission cooler. Night and day difference in temps after you add one. Pretty easy and cheap to DIY... just make sure you follow the factory procedure and make sure you get the level just right after you add fluid.

Best bang for buck I did was vent visors. They cut out the endless buffeting you get when the windows are rolled down.
I've heard that they are good for that. I just hate to cut down on any field of vision from The Cave. Maybe I can find some clear ones.

The other advantage is being able to crack the windows even when its raining. I know this "mod" seems trivial next to sliders, lifts, tires, etc...but I regret not getting them sooner than I did. I never used to drive around with the windows down because of the wind noise, but these truly make a difference and you can still see through the tinted ones.

Just about any online parts store has them. You can get the in-channel type or the stick-on type. I got the in-channel ones. They fit into the top of the window channel and have 3M tape strip that keeps them in place.

Here's one vendor I found by googling "vent visor FJ Cruiser".
http://www.autoanything.com/deflectors/61A1739A0A0.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom