Air Bag Deployment on 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gray Rider

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm just curious how many have had an air bag fire off in the last few years on a 15 to 20 yr old 80 series?

Did the bag(s) work properly?

Air bags of that era, I believe, are supposed to be replaced every 10 years. I'm curious how many have functioned properly as well.

Not had that occur, knock on wood.

However, if the question was prompted by the widespread air bag issues reported in the press, my understanding is those are due to design changes made years after the last 80 series equipped with them rolled off the line (except for production that continued in Venezuela and don't know if airbags are in those vehicles or not.)

Not had that occur, knock on wood.

However, if the question was prompted by the widespread air bag issues reported in the press, my understanding is those are due to design changes made years after the last 80 series equipped with them rolled off the line (except for production that continued in Venezuela and don't know if airbags are in those vehicles or not.)

Not really thinking of the current airbag issues but more like this:
Are 80's owners better off with a 20 yr old airbag set to deploy in a 20 yr old vehicle OR perhaps better off with just disabling the airbag??

Now that is a good question. Should all of us who are using our cruisers for on road travel be looking at replacing airbags if they will not work correctly?

IF so, anyone know approximately how much it would cost to do so?

'94. :flipoff2:

I asked beno whether airbags were available still, he said they were but they're the same 20 year old technology which I thought was strange. I figured they'd be updated but probably there's some Federal regulation preventing such common sense.

Yes, interesting...

I just bought 97 and 95 both have bags deployed. Looking to buy another 97 with deployed bags. All vehicles have front end damaged from collision. Hope that answer you question.

Well, it's good technology. It's even almost old enough to drink:):beer:

And they either work or they don't. And there don't seem to be any significant reports of aging airbags running into issues. I sure wouldn't disable an assumed good one. It could get legally complicated if you sold the vehicle or lent it and there was an accident.

If you wear your seat belt, then the airbag is what it was designed to be -- a supplemental restraint system. You're also covered if it somehow should fail, although that doesn't seem to be an issue.

Now, the manual calls for an inspection or something every 10 years. I've heard different things on what's being inspected, but they're definitely not R&Ring airbags at 10 years

I have been on the road as a Firefighter/Paramedic a long time now, 33 years this year. Seen lots of wrecks.

As far as air bags go, I've seen old ones work perfectly, seen new ones not work, seen old ones not work, seen new ones work perfectly. There doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rules about whether they will work or not in any given situation. In the real world there are too many variables in a crash to guarantee your air bags will deploy, or help you much if they do. If the offset in the offset frontal crash is just enough over the center line, if the speed is just below the parameters, if the sensors have issues, if the cars are on ice or some other reduced traction situation and the delta vectors(inertial g-forces of changes in direction) are outside parameters, if it is 30 below zero or 115 in the shade, if there are multiple impacts and the bags have already deployed prior to the major impact, all these factors are relevant in real world crashes. None are accounted for in governmental crash testing.

Similarly, the crash test dummies are set to mimic an 'average' person, which means almost nothing if you have pre-existing back problems, neck problems, chest or ribcage problems, are geriatric and weigh 80 pounds, or are obese and over 300. These folks don't see a ton of benefit from air bags in crashes. Some advantage, to be sure, but not as much as you might think.

What everyone does benefit from is the amazing engineering, materials, and technology that goes into vehicles these days. When I was starting out and working with 60's and 70's vehicles, there was a street rule that went 'if the front bumper is touching the front wheels, someone is probably already dead or gonna die.' And in those vehicles it was a pretty good rule of thumb. Steering columns did not telescope in a crash, engines would go through the firewall, everything just went straight back at the occupants. And seat belts were factory options up until, what, '66? And you didn't have to wear them.

These days we can roll up on a wreck so bad you can't tell what color the car used to be, let alone what kind it was, and everyone is most likely out and standing around. It's pretty incredible! I can't remember the last time I saw an engine crushing someone's legs; it just doesn't happen in today's cars. The engine may be lying next to the car, but it won't be inside the car. Almost everyone wears seat belts now. Drinking and driving is greatly reduced from what it used to be. And there is no doubt that air bags have saved some folks in crashes where they can work as designed. Just don't sweat them too much, they are not magic. You get a lot more benefit from the passive safety systems engineered into your truck than from active ones like air bags.

These 80's are 20 years old, sure, but they were advanced for their time and have some amazing engineering in them. Plenty of anecdotal crash stories on here about that very topic, and witrh almost universally good outcomes(as far as health goes anyway.) I drive mine with complete confidence. (And keep my insurances paid up. Hey, I'm a suspenders-and-a-belt kinda guy. Comes with the job.)

Again, this is just my opinion and like all opinions, it's worth exactly what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary.

artech,
Thanks for elaborating on why you want to continue wearing your seatbelts, regardless of the age of your airbags. When everything works great, they are miraculous. When they don't, then best be prepared -- there's no time to click it once things go pear-shaped.

I've never been a fan of the airbag. Seemed like scary stuff to ride around with in front of your face all the time. And I always wear my seatbelt, so never felt anything really lacking. So the 80 was the first airbag equipped vehicle for us. Somehow, if anyone got it right, it would be in a LandCruiser. I think the generally welcome reports on airbag performance have made a believer out of me that they are a nice back-up to taking responsibility by using the seatbelts religiously.

Mine worked just fine last year. 96... Got sideways on the highway in a snow storm and hit the concrete median divider , not a very hard hit but enough to have both air bags go off. Drove off and made it home with the bumper rubbing on the tire a bit. The passenger airbag left a small rip on the vinyl dash after it when off. Not sure what airbags are in now...

DISCLAIMER: DO NOT tamper or disable your airbags. I am not providing medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion, treatment or services to you or to any other individual. This information is not a substitute for medical or professional care, and you should not use the information in place of a visit, call consultation or the advice of your physician or other healthcare provider. I am not liable or responsible for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, services or product you obtain through this website.

Sorry, some CYA stuff I had to say...

As Artech eluded to earlier, there are many factors that go into a crash (unlike the crash simulation models done by NHTSA and EUROCAP). I have a slightly different perspective in my trauma experience; I take care of patients in the trauma bay and in the OR (I do stop at wrecks and help if needed). There is no question that airbags save lives.

Part of the report we get from the paramedics includes: were the patients wearing a seat belt and did the airbags deploy. Very rarely do we hear that the airbags didn't deploy (unless it was a low speed crash, a car without airbags, or front airbags only car with a side/rear collision). Airbag technology has drastically improved over the past 2 decades. It is much more common to see friction burns and lacerations secondary to 1st gen airbags. However, I would take friction burns to the face over a thoracic aorta dissection (caused by blunt trauma) any day.

Last edited:
Something the docs don't see in the hospital are the ones who die on the scene, in wrecks so bad you can't tell the meat from the plastic. Some of those airbags don't go off, and honestly probably wouldn't help much if they did.

Hitting something so hard that your car bends into a U-shape with the front and back bumpers literally 2 feet apart will make your air bags pretty ineffective, as will wrecks when trying to use your car for a submarine, wrecks when trying to emulate the jump in the movie 'Hooper', wrecks when trying to play 'chicken' with a freight locomotive, and other such automotive idiocy.

Air bags are great when they can work within their design parameters, but they ain't magic-not by a long sight. No doubt they have saved some lives, but not as many as fantastic automotive engineering and seat belt laws have. Part of the reason I got a '95 was for the air bags, but damn betcha I wear my seat belt. And you should too.

Someday you're gonna die from something. Don't let it be from something stupid.

Ok, I'm done. We now return you to your regularly scheduled internet tech forum...

Last edited:
Plus......if you have double indemnity life insurance and you DO die while wearing your seat belt......Your beneficiary gets DOUBLE THE MONEY!!!!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!! Now THERE's an investment in your family!

No, seriously, that can happen. just probably not the best situation.

Kids: Wear your seat belt and don't disable your 'bags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom