24 volt- please bare with me while I rehash an old question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi

HJ61 wont start; it's a RHD

I know that it's just low batteries

CAA has told me that they can't send someone out to boost a 24 volt truck

Furthermore, hhey sold me the batteries a year ago, but, I can't get replacements unless I take the batteries in to a shop to be tested. They don't have a mobile battery testing service in the North. (I got them in the south near Mississauga)

I HAVE read all of the posts on this issue, regarding boosting a 24 volt truck, but, they have left me scratching my head. I think it's because I can never figure out which side of the vehicle we are talking about left side/right side (from which direction?) etc.

SO, I am going to try and explain how I'll go about boosting my truck and you can chime in tell me whether I'm wrong or not.

Firstly, my vehicle is RHD, so, the drivers side is the right side (starboard)

First method - 12volt boost (I have 2 spare good batteries from another truck)
1.Attach the positive terminal of the right battery of the truck to the positive of the 1st spare battery
2. Attach the negative terminal of the right battery of the truck to the negative of the 1st spare battery
3 Attach the positive terminal of the left battery of the truck (passenger) to the positive of the 2nd spare battery
4. Attach the negative terminal of the left battery of the truck (passenger) to the negative terminal of the 2nd spare battery.
5. Start the truck?

Second method. 24 volt boost
1. Attach the positive terminal of the right (drivers) battery to the negative of the 1st spare battery.
2. Attach the negative terminal of the 1st spare battery to the positive terminal of the 2nd spare battery.
3. Attach the negative terminal from the 2nd spare battery to the engine or ground(passenger side) of the vehicle
4. Start the truck?

Does this clear things up? or have I just muddied the waters again?

The first time CAA tried to help me, many sparks flew and they gave up. I ended up buying 2 new expensive batteries from them. Now, 10 months later, these batteries won't start my truck at only - 25.

Thanks for baring with me!
4 Attach the negative of the left battery

Either of those theories should work. I know from personal experience I've used two jumper packs, one per battery before with good success.

Oops!

I think that option 2 is creating 48 volts! NO?

I just made a drawing and I think that point number 1. should be the positive terminal of the right truck battery to the positive of the 1st spare battery

I just tried option one to no avail. I had a 1390 cranking amp tractor battery as one spare and a booster pack as a second battery. Problem is that I'm off grid and don't have enough amps for the booster pack so as soon as I turned the key, the house shut down!

Maybe I didn't understand what you were doing properly. What I would do is connect each spare battery to one of the truck batteries in parallel. With that your left and right batteries would each be being jumped individually. The other thing you could do is use two cars at once to jump the cruiser.

So for Option two make a pair of the non-car battery/booster just like the car (in Series, 1 positive to 1 negative only).

Then treat both pairs as if they were one big battery of 24 volts. Connect the free positive of your off-car pair to the main positive post on the car, the one NOT linking the batteries together. Then connect the unused negative of the off-car set to a good ground on the vehicle.

upload_2015-1-20_20-34-47.png

Perfect, thanks jblueridge! That's the best diagram I've seen yet and confirms my 2nd option! When I first wrote it out it sounded logical until I drew it out like you did. It's just 2-24 volt batteries in parallel.

It's supposed to be 10 degrees warmer tomorrow, plus, I have the batteries inside on charge. I hope things go well because I really have to get those divorce papers out of my hair!

Thanks again everyone for responding and solving another mystery. Happy travels!

Make sure you have zero 12V accessories hooked up to one battery. That will draw down your batteries.

Make sure they are equally charged be fore reinstalling them.

Maybe I didn't understand what you were doing properly. What I would do is connect each spare battery to one of the truck batteries in parallel. With that your left and right batteries would each be being jumped individually. The other thing you could do is use two cars at once to jump the cruiser.
Don't use two cars . You will send 24v to each of the electrical systems in both cars . Blueridge , when that drawing you did is all hooked up won't that turn the battery and electrical system in the car to 24v ?

Good point too tall. ^^^. Best to disconnect the 'cars' from their batteries before jumping. I.E. you'll have to jump the vehicle with both cars turned off and batteries isolated.

You have to find out if it drains by unhooking the set and try after a week if it starts. And try the light bulb check (release - and put light in between, if light is bright remove fuses until it dims, hopefully...), maybe sticking relay.
No problem connecting two idling 12v vehicles, it works perfect. Just hook + and - from car 1 to battery 1 and 2 tot 2.
The cars have to be idling a few minutes to get best results.
You dont want a 12v + and - connected to left + and right side - (or otherway) with radiator inbetween, that would be wrong.

I HAVE read all of the posts on this issue, regarding boosting a 24 volt truck, but, they have left me scratching my head. I think it's because I can never figure out which side of the vehicle we are talking about left side/right side (from which direction?) etc.

FYI , in regards to the LH and RH sides ,Toyota stipulate in the FSM that when you stand behind the vehicle ,looking forward , your left is the vehicles left and your right is the vehicles right. I think this is pretty much true for all cars trucks and buses . The "drivers side passengers side" just confuses everyone on the net.

I would have thought CAA staff would know how to do a 24v jump start to protect themselves from damaging owners cars etc

Blueberries,

There is no issue jumping a 24 volt system from 12 volts. Connect the donating's vehicle battery (12v) to one battery at a time as you would if it was only a single battery (12v) vehicle. Positive to positive,negative to negative and charge say for 10 minutes (charging vehicle is running). Switch to the other battery in your 61 and charge for similar time. Disconnect the cables and start your truck; if it doesn't work you may have to charge each battery for slightly longer. If you remember to hook up to only one battery at a time you will be alright. You will now of course have to fully charge your batteries independently as it is unlikely they will be balanced. Hope this helps.

Hey I just came back to this thread. When I read the OP's early posts I inferred that Spare Battery meant a battery not in a car and Booster was a portable gizmo that ran off household AC electric.

If the spare battery or batteries are in 12V car(s) then yes, disconnect the positive from the 12V car(s) system(s) as stated above.

I have had this problem, drained battery a few times. I live in the US so all the vehicles I have used to jump my truck have been single battery 12V. I have succesfully been able to jump my truck (HJ60) by hooking one single battery to the failed single 12v battery in my truck. I try one and if that doen't work switch to the other. The larger problem is that once one battery goes bad you will likely have to replace both...I have tried every oprtion and after weeks of headache replacing both has been the only solution for me. Good luck.

Thanks everyone!

These posts really helped me understand what I needed to do. I ended up just putting off what I was intending to do that day, brought the batteries inside to warm them up and charged them up separately with AC. In the morning, I reinstalled them and then no problems. Another -25 day and the truck started fine. I think that I had drained the batteries when leaving the hazard lights on a couple days before when I was pumping water from a lake while parked on the road. It was only zero at the time, so the truck started easily. Then, I parked her without any charge time. The temp. plummeted to -25 and then they were too dead to turn over the truck. Live and learn!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom