HDJ81 Heater Control Valve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Over the next few days here I hope to swap out the heater control valve along my firewall. It looks as if some fluid is escaping through the bottom by the screw with the linkage, also on the "in" nipple the connection seems to be leaking and since I don't want to take it apart to find the valve fubar I am going to replace it.

This part is no long available though Toyota for this model year in RHD so I sourced another model year out for a RHD.

The problem I have now is these replacement valves work opposite to whats currently on the truck, Open is Closed and Closed is Open... I have looked at them and am having a hard time thinking of a linkage that I can make to make this work correctly.

Has anyone been down this road before?

Tomorrow I will post up some pictures of what I am up against.

The easiest way to do it may be to reverse the control motor in the dash. I'm curious to see what you come up with as I would like to replace mine as PM, but ran into the same hurdle.

I bet you could even just swap two of the pins on the Heat/AC control unit, if you can find a pinout of the connectors.

I did a cable operated heater valve replacement this summer.
the coolant goes from driver to passanger side.
the part no for my prado is 87240-60100 and i was able to fit a American 93' Camry water valve without problems, direct fit. It cost about 15-20 dollars.

Ours goes from Passenger to Driver side.

I don't know why Mr. T changed the design so many times... oh well.

Douglas thats what I was thinking also, if I get a chance here ill pull the linkage off my truck and see if I can connect it to my replacement valve.

My dads truck does not have a radio installed so I will take a look at that and see if I can reverse the wires to get it to operate backwards.

Anyone check ebay Australia? I'm sure I saw a few RHD valves on there in the past. Or check Milner Offroad in the UK.

It says HDJ81 90 to 95.

It can say whatever it wants too.... But the reality is it won't work..............

Mine on the top, new on the bottom

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1419400760.274720.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1419400799.373837.jpg

Can you remove the Phillips head screw and clock the lever? You might be able to swap over the lever from your original valve.

Can you remove the Phillips head screw and clock the lever? You might be able to swap over the lever from your original valve.

Nope not even that. That's what I was hoping for but the valve only has a range of 90 degrees even with the lever off, it's not like a regular ball valve inside as the intake side it's drilled out more to speak so even and 50% it's still fully open on the intake but restricted on the exit

Edit: The valve is not available for the 90-92 models. It's Discontinued. Disregard information below.

I just sent an inquiry to a company in Japan and they do have part availability. I've used JP-carparts to get a new OEM control cable for the valve so I can vouche for them. Edit: Part number is for the Early HDJ81(1990-92). I made an inquiry for said valve with shipping to Canada. I'll order one up out of curiosity and post pictures when it gets here. Here is the invoice/quote they sent me

IMG_5617.PNG

ATTENTION!: This is not the correct part number!!!! I have found the correct one and further down this thread. I will edit this invoice once I get the new quote.

Last edited:
Valve arrived but seems I screwed up and ordered the wrong valve. I ended up with the one that's for 1992 - 95 models. :bang: I should've double checked part numbers before ordering. Unfortunately they have a no return/refund policy so looks like this will be a good reminder of not paying attention. I've now put in a new inquiry for the correct part with the correct part number: 87240-60080

Valve arrived but seems I screwed up and ordered the wrong valve. I ended up with the one that's for 1992 - 95 models. :bang: I should've double checked part numbers before ordering. Unfortunately they have a no return/refund policy so looks like this will be a good reminder of not paying attention. I've now put in a new inquiry for the correct part with the correct part number: 87240-60080

That sucks, been there.

What's the difference between the 2 valves? Could you post a pic of the one you got? This is an aftermarket piece? It looks to be good quality?

Hey Ian. I'ts not aftermarket it's a Toyota Genuine Part. It's the exact same valve as the new one pictured in BCR4619's post near the top of this thread. The orientation is wrong for the 1990 to mid 92 models. The one I got was for the 1992 to 95 models.

I'll take a picture of it and post it for you tomorrow.

Should be hearing back from Jp-carparts by tomorrow about the availability of the correct one. I'll keep updating you on my findings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom