Wide tires and snow chains (or not) on the 100... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm glad this thread popped back up. I was just going to start doing some research on chains. Growing up almost exclusively in SoCal, I don't have any experience with this subject.

I need new tires and was going to go with 275/70-18s and was wondering what chains to get for an upcoming trip to the mountains. No offroading will be involved, just commuting to the mountain and want the extra insurance.

Are only rear chains needed or should all 4 tires be chained?

I have 285/75R16 Toyo AT2. I test fit my RUD chains and have about 1/2" clearance between the chain and the ball joint. I hope that is enough but I would feel more comfortable with 1/2" spacers.

I am using a chain spec'd for a narrower tire. I am guessing this allows the inside circumferential links to ride up higher on the sidewall helping with clearance.

EDIT: just realized I should have tested with the weight of the truck on the wheel instead of it jacked up. Not sure how much this changes the dynamics, if at all.

IMAG0656.jpg
IMAG0659.jpg
IMAG0660.jpg

Last edited:
Chains on the fromt of the 100 is asking for trouble, according to my experience with chains (normally on bigger vehicles). Also the 100's owner's manual says 'No chains up front'.

Chains on one axle is very effective, as long as you have the CDL locked. With the RDL on as well, you would have very little steering in the snow, or on ice.

ChuckB, where are you planning to go?

Assuming you have tires with a m+s rating you shouldn't waste your money on cables or chains for any Southern CA mountains. CHP might require 4x4 with m+s tires or 2x4 w chains/cables, but it's almost unheard of for them to require 4x4 and chains. 98% of the time they just close the road at that point. I bought cables for my XJ and Tacoma years ago when I had season tickets to Northstar and Mammoth.... And then Bear and Mt. High later. Never even opened the box.

If you're going to Mammoth or Tahoe and aren't always on the main roads (or travel at night) then chains/cables might be worth it, but even then I doubt you'll ever use them. Im driving San Diego to McCall, ID to ski Brundage and I won't be worrying about chains.

A pair of cables is about the same price as a lift ticket... I'd save for more lift tickets.

terrafirma, I'm going to Big Bear. Thanks for the advice!

was just at Tahoe. Revo 2. No chains nor cables on. Did fine on ice.

Was told that CHP on 50 was having folks with 4WD but no M+S put chains on.

I'd be extremely nervous about that setup, sdnative. I run very aggressive v-bar chains on the rear with 275/70-18 duratracs and they have been great. With a decent set of tires in the front and the cdl locked as uHu says, chains on the back alone are fine.
Chains aren't for snow. They are for that layer of ice that you can't see under the snow. When it catches you by surprise that ice is deadly. Trust me! You want to carry chains in the mountains.

I only put them on to test clearance based on concerns earlier in this thread. I have never run them in that configuration. I am going to Utah and am bringing them just in case and will run them on the rear.

I only put them on to test clearance based on concerns earlier in this thread. I have never run them in that configuration. I am going to Utah and am bringing them just in case and will run them on the rear.

How did they work? Any rubbing? I have a 99 LX470 with stock tires. I can fit chains (heavy V bar) on rear fine but no room in front A arm. I was thinking about getting 265/75R16 BFGAT,s and Slee 1.25 inch spacers for clearance in the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom