Builds 4 door FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In the first Picture you can see the new outer frame rails welded together square at the right width apart.
I made the stretch 22" which is shorter than most guys but I pick up another 9-10 inches with the rear door moving out over the rear wheel well. The rear door will also be sectioned 3-4"

The second picture shows the stretch frame section jigged in place.

Picture 3 Just shows a nice tight fit

Picture 4 tacked together ( my neighbor will do the serious welding)

Last picture is with the front section attached. You can see the triangular frame straighten out at the stretch.

So Im not done. There are some measurement discrepantcies that I found after I got it all together. It is likely that I will have to get in there and make some adjustments before it can be made permanent. Still, it gets me excited to get the body halves installed and start working on the rear door and floor sections.

IMG_20140830_162334675.jpg

IMG_20140830_164547889.jpg

IMG_20140830_164604381_HDR.jpg

IMG_20140830_165751979.jpg

IMG_20140830_183715997_HDR.jpg

Well I got MrPepper over here and we scratched our heads as to why things werent lining up quite right. We even got high tech and used some lasers to try and get things aligned. Thats when we realized that the frame was bent. Likely from being tipped on its side at some point. No way to tell for sure........ Awesome. Its where the frame kicks out at an angle behing the engine bay. One side kicks out more than the other. A futile attempt was made to straighten the bent frame rail. But after a lot of measuring, discussion, and cursing, I ultimately decided to burn in the new channels. I dont have the desire, time, or money to hunt down a replacement frame. The down side may be some uneven tire wear, or that the cruiser appears to be going down the road at a slight angle rather than perfectly straight. I can begrudgingly live with either of those scenarios. So I made it permanent. Frame rails are fully Welded minus the fish plates. Crossing my fingers I didnt blow it.

Here are a few pictures.
IMG_20140906_140533499.jpg
IMG_20140906_140547913.jpg
IMG_20140906_140533499.jpg
IMG_20140906_140547913.jpg
IMG_20140906_140601534.jpg

Nice work man, I watch with bated breath. Shame bout your bent frame, but I'm sure the truck will turn out fine.

I know there are guys on here who are extreme perfectionist's and wouldn't let a tweak in the frame slide, but I do the best I can. I'm building this for myself, and like you, I think it will turn out fine. Can't wait to get the body sections back on!

There was isn't anyone here inspecting frames, however, I will be doing fish plates for sheer.

Hi Iceberg, Nice build so far, the only problem is that here those welds would be rejected by the Transport Inspection Dept, welds on frames must be like below.

View attachment 939281

You can tell that all the way from Brisbane?

Nothing is bolted down, but I got the bed moved over.

1410794329057.jpg

1410794348028.jpg

Looks good Ice. Hey what rim is that, the rear right one, the white one. I have the exact same rim on my '69 45 but I don't know what it's from?

IMG_7515.JPG

Nice build so far.

When I did the frame stretch on my 40 we made the inside boxing go past the welds of the outside frame and bolted everything together on both sides of the weld. This way I'm not solely relying on the welds to hold everything together. Take a look at the second page of my build thread for more info. Food for taught. :)

Looks like you are moving along and it looks good to this point. You might want to consider fish plating the weld joints for a safety precaution if you didn't glove the inside of the frame. The fish plates will give extra strengthening for the welded areas and you won't have to worry, good luck on your project.

Looks like you are moving along and it looks good to this point. You might want to consider fish plating the weld joints for a safety precaution if you didn't glove the inside of the frame. The fish plates will give extra strengthening for the welded areas and you won't have to worry, good luck on your project.

Check Ice's post number 207... It's just a few short posts above this one.

How is the project coming along?
Yes family, Christmas etc.
We all understand.
Did the frame welding get finished?

I haven't done anything lately other than admit that I need to take the frame into a shop and have it straightened, or find a new from to cut. Meanwhile, I am in the process of moving to Northern Utah with a new job. Trying to find a garage so I can bring the project with me.

We hear you in your time of instability of moving, hang in there it will all work out, sending good thoughts your way to help find what you need

Lord bless you with your new job.
Hope you get a shop with the new home.
And find some new wheelen buddies also.
Moab here you come.

FWIW, the welds on the frame sections on my 150 series are vertical just like the ones on this frame. I don't know whether the frame rail sections are sleeved or not. My guess is that they are, but I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom