Spitballing some more advanced Sequoia upgrades (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Because I can’t leave well enough alone, and I might also be a masochist, ideas have been bouncing around inside my head. I am going to leave this separate from starting an actual build thread. So it leave plenty of room for discussion and flaming. :)

First are custom front and rear bumpers. I think the Shrockworks bumpers for the 3rd gen 4runner are some of the best looking kind. Talked to them and the owner said that no one would pay what he would ask for a custom bumper build. So I need to either find a local fabricator or finally buy a welder. This would be a front bumper, rear with swing out tire carrier, and skid plates.

l-toyota-sequoia-149-2-Copycopy_zps1c99cdc4.jpg

Upgrade to a locked rear axle. I’ve been thinking about a FF 80 or 100 series axle. I’ve been trying to figure out the differences. Biggest issue is that the 100 series is a 5 bolt pattern. I do like the 4.30 gears though and the axles are bigger in diameter. The other issue with the Toyota 9.5” is the pumpkin being off center 3.75ish. I found that the T100 and Tundra have a 66” rear axle and I am assuming the Sequoia has the same. The 80 series axle is 63” so in widening the axle3” to match the existing would center it. I would love to run identical axles but the listed lengths are 36-3/8 and 29. Not sure exactly how that works out with only a 3.75” between tube lengths. Have to track that one down. If I was going to have to have custom axles anyways, might as well start with a 100 series.

Front diff swap from 7.5” to 8”. This is where picking up the front and rear from an FZJ100 would be nice. Regear the easy way! Have to compare axles to see if any FCJ, 2nd Gen Seq, 100-200 series with 8” front diff would compare. Probably have to rebuild the existing with the 30 spline centers.

11-25-20148-28-57AM_zps4d390411.jpg

Motor upgrade. Bore and stroke the 4.7 for a little more umph. Most of the kits out there are performance oriented. There was a vendor over on the Tundra Solutions that was talking about producing a non-performance version of their kit for $2999. That seems like it would be viable upgrade at 250-300k miles to refresh the engine. I also rad that the 5.7 may have the same bore centers but don’t know how the bottom end compares. Don’t mind looking at other motor options too, just with all the electronics these days it can be a pain.

Maybe a 2nd gen Tundra 9.5" rear axle with a locker. Been suggested that a 98-99 FZJ100 e-locker would fit. Didn't see anything conclusive on this.

Last edited:
Ok. I got my head around the axle lengths.
DS: 36.375
PS: 29.000
Dif: 7.375
Means the center diff is slid to the PS 3.69".

So options would be to retube both sides to center the diff. Advantage would be identical axle shafts needing only 1 spare. Disadvantage is 2 custom shafts (3 w/ spare)

Add length to the PS to desired length. Would move the diff toward center by 1/2 the length added to the tube. This is what the sleep deprivation of a 3 week old does to you.

Understand the sleep deprivation, worth every minute lost.

As far as the axles, which housing are you looking at with those dimensions? I would suspect the LC rear axles are slightly narrower then the sequoia, so if you start with an offset diff and retubed the short side to match the long side you would center the diff and could use stock length long side shafts.

Be interested in what you do up front.

I also like the SW photochopped on the big S. I'm sure you could find someone to fab you up something similar for the Sequoia.

The LC axle is 3 inches narrower. So adding 3 inches won't center it. I've read about people being able to run the 3" offset with no ill effects. Adding 3" to the short side would help decrease the offset. I really think the "best" course of action would be to get 100 series from and rear with 4.30s and a rear locker. Retube both sides to center it. Then run identical axle shafts on both sides. This makes it logistically easier to replace 1. Also negates the problem of starting with a 5lug pattern. This could also be done with an 80 series 4.10 axle too, to reduce down time and front diff upgrade. Haven't researched to see if the 32 spline are more $ than 30 spline. 30 spline are easier to come by.

I really think, from pictures anyways, you could swap the 7.5" front to an 8" by swapping the inner axle hub assembly from 27 spline to 30 spline.

I may have to buy a plasma cutter this summer.

Last edited:
Gotcha so using 2 long sides would end up about a little over 4 inches too wide, correct? Before you get to deep into cutting up and fabbing, I think you can order a ruff stuff housing to your width and have the FF spindles welded on. I know a guy in the pickup section who is building a custom 9.5" rear for his Xtra cab using 80 parts.

Just a thought. And I have no idea what the cost is.

Also in looking at the comparison of the half shafts, it looks like in order to swap the hundy shafts and Sequoia shafts the outer will also need swapping. The knuckle ends look very different. Of course you might be able to swap the inner sections from one to the other and build a hybrid half-shaft. Would have to see what the slip-shaft portions looked like to know if they are swappable. Also half to look at the shaft diameters to make sure you can get one of the 2 boots to seal properly.

Last edited:
That's a good point. I am looking at a custom axle housing. Should be able to have the ends set up with what I need.

Motor upgrade. Bore and stroke the 4.7 for a little more umph. Most of the kits out there are performance oriented. There was a vendor over on the Tundra Solutions that was talking about producing a non-performance version of their kit for $2999. That seems like it would be viable upgrade at 250-300k miles to refresh the engine. I also rad that the 5.7 may have the same bore centers but don’t know how the bottom end compares. Don’t mind looking at other motor options too, just with all the electronics these days it can be a pain.

Confirming bore sizes between the 2 engines.

V8 comparison.jpg

Any idea on the bore spacing and whether a 5.7 crank would fit in the 4.7? Probably need to email Jowlett on this one.

So I got an email from diamond axle. I'm hoping my wife will let me do this, this year. I'm trying to find some specs on the stock air compressor for the air suspension. I'd love to be able to use it to run the locker and helper airbags when I swap to coils.

Ill have to check on a few things. Primarily on reusing your brakes, and on the atrac/abs/speed sensor setup. I believe we can keep everything happy, and make that all work, with 32 in a full float setup. I know we can build a housing to stock width, to use stock axle shafts, and retain the 30 spline in a 9.5 diff as well. Were you wanting to go full float or reuse the stock shafts in a semi float configuration?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom