Builds Prado on a diet, bob / double cab (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Same as hydraulic... apply air and it pushes straightaway... if it's not aligned it will push against the faces and as soon as the dogs line up it pops into place.
The ARB mini compressor has a storage tank in it so will have a head of pressure. http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-On-Board-High-Performance-12-Volt-Air-Compressor-CKSA12-P3574.aspx
I will be running it thru a "switch" which will apply pressure into whatever port I select and vent the other side. My old hydraulic system was only one way and relied on a spring to lock it.. This way I can power it out or in.This one also has the option of being spring loaded inside. Either a push or a pull. I have set it up to pull in to lock the dogs so if I loose air the freespool will be in the engaged position. Also set it up so the actuator rod is inside the ram during normal operation so it doesn't get damaged or corroded.

hydraulic would bend the linkage, i was hoping that it was more "build up mild pressure till cogs aligned idea.

I hear what you are saying...My hydraulic setup was a clutch master / slave cylinder .. Uses arm pressure ! lol.
It doesn't seem to do any harm... meshes nicely.. With a good solid clunk...
I normally get my navi to pull the rope and set the freespool before we start driving the winch hard...
Or slowly drive the winch until it clunks if I am on my own....
I am going to use the same idea when my E Locker motor craps out... Its only a matter of time for that one hehehe

New home for the Warn 8074 !
20140131_193227.jpg
Any know what this boss was for? The newer 8274's don't have it.
Looks like it was used as an earthing point and there is not one on the motor.
I might use it as an extra mount point and tap a new thread into the motor body for the earth wire... Like all my other electric winches I have owned.
20140202_133946.jpg

Last edited:
back out the camera a bit ...
is that a 8274? or one of the older Bellville winches?

Neither.. Its the 8074 which was specified for GM I think for a batch of Jeeps...
It doesn't have the free spool mechanism...
Its the same winch a few photo's back but I have blasted off the crappy paint job.
The Bellville units have a totally different looking alloy case and a bunch of push pull cables to control the brake.... Well thats what I have found via a google search.

yah, the bellville is full manual
never heard of a 8074 ... interesting.
sorry, can't answer your question.

Ok bit more progress has been made. I have done some more work on the chassis, welded in some mount plates for the side bars and also the rear cage.
Spent saturday pulling out the motor and trans... Did have an oopps and dropped the trans off its jack.. Busted off the vacuum actuator. I have a spare so all is good...Next is pull the running gear. Then I can start doing some articulation trials to see if the new brake calipers hit the chassis....Before I finalise the mount bracket. Then there's the winch rope runs to check out. Mock up the exhaust system brackets and also toy with the rear radiator pipe runs... So it will start evolving some more over our southern hemisphere winter. Once completed I will throw a coat of paint on the chassis and start putting her back together. Oh and upgrade the brake booster to an 80 series one I scored last year.
Some photo's...
20140130_103218.jpg

Last edited:
Its been awhile since my last update so here goes.
I have completed the rear brake caliper swap and installed the Subaru Leone calipers. Only job to do is the handbrake cable. This will be completed when the cab is back on the chassis.
The chassis has had all the welding done to it and is now etch primed ready for a coat of black.
I ended up upgrading the shocks to some EFS Extremes which resulted in changing the mount locations. Particularly the rear.
The rope runs for the rear winch have been installed.
Also while everything was apart, the brake booster and master was upgraded to an 80 series non ABS unit. Fitted straight in however the rod to the pedal is short about 15mm.... Easiest fix was to add a tab to the brake pedal and re drill a hole for the fork. (photo's will explain) Here in NZ you can't weld the rod but you can weld the pedal. (Cert rules to keep it road legal)
The rear axle assy has been painted and I am just working on the front.
Oh I almost forgot.... The exhaust has been replaced with a 3" system front to back.
Wastegate actuator has been changed for a Turbosmart unit and setup for 20 psi.
Torque converter is currently in the shop getting a birthday, lower the stall a bit and tighten up the clearances.
Rather than type and type... Here are the photo's.
Any questions ? Ask away.
Rear axle 1.jpg
Rear axle assy all completed and painted.
Caliper 5.jpg
Subaru Calipers
Chassis prime.jpg
Chassis etch primed
Shock 2.jpg
Rear shock with new top location.
Shock 5.jpg
Front shock with new top location

Last edited:
Looks good! Might have to look into those Subaru calipers myself one day, the old LJ71 handbrake was always a bit s***, the one on the 80 series axle I've swapped in is really s***.

Cheers
Clint

nice work Calvin everything all well thought out :) what size air ram are you using for the winch freespool

Last edited:
Chassis has been painted twice now !.. First time the top coat reacted with the primer and it went all soft. So it was off to the blasters and blasted and primed with 2 pot primer... And I have put a couple of coats of 2 pot black over her.... So now its time to start putting it back together.
Also finished off the rear caliper swap.. Just the handbrake cables to play with once the cab is back on.
Chassis paint 2.jpg Caliper 8.jpg

Last edited:
I can't see your photos.

Hmm thats strange. Anyone else have issues with my photo's?? I have them linked from my Facebook album.
Here is another ...
Brake pedal.jpg Mid winch actuator.jpg

Last edited:
Having a look back thru the thread some of the image links are broken... Its like FB has moved the photo's... Will go thru and update as I get time.... Having a few connection problems with North America lol.....

Yeah all my photo's are on Face Book.... I use the Image link in ^ the toolbar above and they pull thru... Used to use Photobucket but it was a hassle resizing them....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom