Need Advice on Market Value - 1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I paid $6,500 for this in the Northeast...
71 Right.jpg

The 77K is irrelevant since the original engine was removed and replaced with with a v8. That hurts the value. as does the paint, color, and diamond plate. Those "custom bumpers" also drop the value. The fog lights drilled through the roof also aren't good.

Basically the closer to stock the 40's are generally the higher the prices...to get addtional value out of mods they have to be done at a very high level...not seeing any high level mods on this one (sorry if it's your rig, not trying to flame)

I don't think it goes for over $5K....maybe $8K if the frame was pristine...but lots of work needed (basically un-doing things) to get any more for this.

Obviously the market has gone up a lot since then, but not significantly for molested V8 trucks.

Yeah, you'd make a $h!t-ton of $ if you sold that today...great buy. Doesn't change my answer on Pepto though

There must be market variations. Based on the comps I see around in California (Los Angeles, SF Bay Area), $3-5K will get you a parts car or a project.
That thing is a parts car or a project. $3k

After reading these other posts, I'll stand by my original assessment. I'd started thinking I was being to harsh, but others seem to agree.

Watch ebay for a few months and compare. Lots of the silly stuff can be unbolted on this one and it can always be painted much more easily than rebuilding the body. We can't see how well the v8 was done-doesn't need to be perfect-but no cobbling. Any vehicle over 10 years old will need random maintenance-unless it's Major parts I don't even count it-brake pads-some gaskets-plugs-seals-few leaks-shocks-wiper blades-etc-etc. Huge factor is how solid it is bondo/rust-wise. Diamond plate used to be added for bling 20+ years ago too, when it appears this could have been done. Lots I see around IL were done then and used a few times in the winter (who wouldn't want to take it out in snow) and that's ALL it takes for the salt to eat it up and they still ask $$ for them. $5k++

That 1972 one on CL someone posted for $7,900 is a much much much better deal then this pink one. And look at it, and they have reduced the price because it did not sell for a little more. Probably could talk him down some more.

its amazing what people think their 40s are worth ... I looked at plenty of rust up here in the $10-12K range and walked away ... I'd walk away from that one too, mainly because I'd want something OEM and "all there" if not in tip top shape ... the colour and tail-lights alone will scare people off and the tread plate will scare off anyone who knows what it generally equates too ... it has money pit written all over it ...

Its a very very undesirable color to me. But lets say a potential buyer loves the color. I think someone would pay 10k for it-I would feel sorry for them, and it would have to be for sale a long time cuz their are few people that actually would. 5k is fair I think. Most ppl would have to at least put a disc brake setup in front, paint it, and probably fix a few other things-thats time consuming and or expensive to do.

I have the feeling the OP has long checked out of this thread, as he wasn't hearing what he wanted to hear :doh:

Guys,

I need some advice on how much a 1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 goes for in today's market.

The car is located in CA and has 77K Original Miles.

Clean Title
4WD
3 Speed Manuel Transmission
In 1988 the original motor was replaced with a small block V8 (15K miles on current motor)
The car also features an additional 15 gallon gas tank
Custom front and rear bumpers with a connection for a tow bar in the front and a custom built motorcycle rack in the back

On Ebay at $15.5k, right? Why not relist on Ebay starting at $0.00 with a reserve, then you will find out what it's worth. There is not much on your FJ40 that is desirable, imo. Odd color, v8, 3 on tree, drum brakes, weird seats, diamond plate, weird interior, Etc. There are still some decent buys out there for less than $10k. Good luck.

Keeping in mind that there are non mud purists or hardcore's that have always wanted one as a driver and aren't after a certain look someone with spare cash may buy. This example seems like one that somebody paid big $$ for all the labor to personalize in a different way. From having watched ebay for many years this is about the worst time to sell. A month or two from now seems better on these. I'd start low with a reserve too. Ebay is the free market and you don't know what it will go for without bids

there is very little rust. is it really worth 3-5k? I see a bunch of them going for $10,000-$40,000

If you put 10-20 into it, then it will be worth 15 to 25. The miles do not mean much, as the cruiser is SOO far from original.

I'm in the 3-5 club also

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom