rear main seal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So they said you have a leak that you can't see?? Do you have weeping that they are calling the leak? That is technically a leak but I wouldn't get too excited about it until it gets worse. And leaks typically only get worse, which is the bad part. Good luck!

Anyone else have this pop up?

About to turn 165k and had her in for a dealer oil change today. Said that I had a rear main seal leak, and T-case was "starting" to leak.

Crawled under it and could find either.

Guess I'll keep an eye on the oil level, but not about to drop the $4k they quoted to fix both.

Buy a Camry.

Lt. Dan.

If the leak is not significant you can go for another 40K miles on the original seal I did on my . replacement runs from $600 to $900 depends on the shop.

Wow, this is the first I've heard about 100 series rear main seal failing. Surprising with less than 200k. Has anyone seen the leak with the transmission out?

Had the t-case seal leak. Just replaced.

You'll know when you need to replace it as oil will spin off and land on the cats/exhaust and starting stinking.

^ big mud events can bring on the t-case seal failure. I try to avoid mud now :D

I've also been keeping an eye on what appears to be a rear main seal seep. Currently its not bad enough to drip on the driveway...but as we all know it won't get better without some wrench time. Damn it would be nice to have a warm garage with a lift :D

^ big mud events can bring on the t-case seal failure. I try to avoid mud now :D

I've also been keeping an eye on what appears to be a rear main seal seep. Currently its not bad enough to drip on the driveway...but as we all know it won't get better without some wrench time. Damn it would be nice to have a warm garage with a lift :D

That's exactly what happened, Dan. Everything was caked with mud/debris and I never knew it until it was too late. I think it was from a bad 3-day snow/mud episode I had in Wyoming's Snowy Range. I got buried repeatedly trying to complete a snowy/dirty/muddy trail deep in the middle of nowhere. I've pretty much decided I don't like mud, snow, rain and slop for 3 straight days. I'll take sunshine and easy drives any day.

IMG_6982.jpg

Seems like potential for a significant leak. Have you tried changing the PCV valve? Has worked for me on other engines consuming oil.

So they said you have a leak that you can't see?? Do you have weeping that they are calling the leak? That is technically a leak but I wouldn't get too excited about it until it gets worse. And leaks typically only get worse, which is the bad part. Good luck!
Just saw this while searching RMS leak. I've got a slow weep/drip on my RMS. Been there for about a year. Has not gotten worse and only see it when I remove the skid for maintenance. Not worrying too much about it. Yet. No significant consumption. 170k. Blue cruiser, did you ever get yours done?

Sometimes adding a simple can of seafoam to oil just before change due [driving it several hundred miles after adding] can help soften up the seal if it's become hard. I have seen that fix MINOR leaks. Inexpensive thing to try.

Hi I have 2005 100series 4.7ltr V8 and have just discovered a oil leak from the engine where the Auto transmission bolts on. It appears to me to be rear main seal leak, is this very common on this model I've done 265,000klm?

Its not rms leak. Its vcg leak more than likely. Rms is not that common of an isse in these trucks. You can try to tighten the bolts but really need new seals. Sucks! Goodluck.

I have had this and cam seal leak for months and the oil level has not dropped. I just keep checking it. Won't replace until it gets worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom