Builds My 1981 HJ45 Troopy build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Goodstuff rufus I'm surprised you're from OZ as I thought you where a yank. No offense to my bros over the pond. :)

power-steering-1.jpg
power-steering-2.jpg
power-steering-3.jpg
power-steering-4.jpg
Spent a few hours today drilling, grinding and welding. Many thanks to Adam at Torfab I am now well on the way to installing power steering. He set me up with all of the bits and pieces to do a complete power steering conversion using 60 series power steering gear box, 80 series pitman, Flaming RIver steering shaft and 80 series drag link. That's the Torfab plate, crush tubes and their nifty steering shaft bearing support.

Does the 80 drag link fit with a 60 end on the drivers side? Correct length? If so good to know hadnt thought of that.

It doesn't fit as-is. It's a cut/sleeve operation to join the 80 components to the stock 40 series. I didn't change any components to the 60 series parts.

I'll post photos when I get to that stage.

Answered what I needed. Was curious if there was a us version of interchange that didnt take cut and sleeve or custom drag link.

Flaming River steering shaft. Had to grind the stock shaft coming out of the firewall into a double "D" configuration to slip into the u-joint.

steering-shaft-1.jpg
steering-shaft-2.jpg

Sleeving the 80 series rod to the 40 series.

I used some of the leftover double D rod from the steering shaft to make a plug to slide into the two halves of the relay rod. I cleaned up the inside of the old 40 series portion with a 9/16" drill bit. The double D fits well inside the 80 series rod. I ground it down to 9/16"-ish to fit into the 40 series end. Rosette welds and welded the butt joint to the plug as well. Thinking I might (should?) add some DOM tubing to the outside of the 40 series portion. Not quite sure yet.

sleeve-tie-rod-1.jpg
sleeve-tie-rod-2.jpg
sleeve-tie-rod-3.jpg
sleeve-tie-rod-4.jpg

Just courious... do you or know if you can do a saginaw power steering in a right hand drive? My wife and I are looking at getting a troopy in a year or so from AUS toUSA. I'm looking at putting a V 8 with a NV4500 oan an orion. I'm having problems finding any good write ups on a unique rig. Thanks, Chris

Sorry, don't have any experience with Saginaw units. There's lots of folks here on Mud that have done them on LHD vehicles but no idea if a LHD Sag box can be made to work on a RHD. If you're going to go through the effort of sourcing a RHD Sag box why not just get a 60 series or 80 series box instead?

A lot of people comment on the amount of frame butchering required for a Sag box on a LHD. It might create a weak spot for a heavily loaded Troopy. I don't have any personal experience with one though.

thanks for the imput. Torfab is close to where I live so mybe a quick visit my be in order for a little Q and A. I did the saginaw LHD on my old 40 and always thought I should of sleeved the cross member. I quess I need to just do some more looking for some info on the RHD stuff.

Hi Rufus,

Thanks for posting the photos of your tank. I have a HJ47 Troopy and I want to do the same design as a water tank. I know this is any old thread, so hopefully you see this, but I'd love to get in touch with you to find out the dimensions.

Cheers mate

Send me a message here. I may still have the CAD files with dimensions, otherwise I can do a few quick measurements for you.

I may even start working on getting the thing running again soon. Finally finished building our new house and need a new project.

Edited to add, I see you messaged me here.....I replied.

A little over 2 years since my last progress update. It's almost road worthy. The swap to a turbo 3B is 95% complete. Should be able to get it registered and on the road in a week or so. The previous registration expired in 2012. So it's been sitting around gathering rust for quite a while.

IMG_20170524_211958.jpg
IMG_20170524_212016.jpg
IMG_20170524_212035.jpg

Nice work man. I'm working on a 40 plumbing the same turbo stuff as you are for a friend of mine and wow fitting it is tuff. Not a ton of wiggle room. An inch here or there is a deal breaker for much of it. Nice to see it come together.
Video!
g

What kind of steering stabilizer do most people use on a 40 series that's been converted to 60 series style power steering?

Swapping in another 3B because this happened last December in Saltillo, Coahuila, Mexico.

The engine doesn't make much usable power with a broken crank.

Wow, how much boost are you making? Turbo’d my 3b a couple years ago, but have kept it around 12psi. Definately don’t want that to happen. I’m pretty easy on mine, never really spin it past 3000rpm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom