Buying an 80 warning/advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pictures, does this have lockers?

AFAIK, all years have the fr/rr locker switch in the same spot.

Here are the pics of Left and Right of Steering whee, from what I can tell, and have not seen the LC in person yet, it looks like it does not have lockers. Is that what it looks like to you?
LC Lockers Left.jpg
LC Lockers Right.jpg

That does not have lockers.

Warning: There will be a lot of little things that need addressing before you get to spend money on cool stuff like bumpers and lifts.

Advice: Be prepared to spend a lot of money.

Warning: There will be a lot of little things that need addressing before you get to spend money on cool stuff like bumpers and lifts.

Advice: Be prepared to spend a lot of money.

I feel like I have a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other. Does it make sense, says the angel? No way says the devil, just think of the adventure?!?

co4x4 said:
I feel like I have a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other. Does it make sense, says the angel? No way says the devil, just think of the adventure?!?

You'll inevitably embrace the insanity. It gets easier after the rationalization attempts cease, trust me.

Jump in. The waters fine.

co4x4 said:

In no way do I discourage you. I have never been happier with a vehicle.

Ha ha, I hear you all. My favorite vehicle thus far was in college when I had a 87 4Runner. Loved that vehicle, until I ran through what I thought was a small puddle, ending up being about 5 feet deep. Sucked water in the intake and bent the rods. Looking forward to getting back into a Yota!

Those pictures look an awful lot like the diesel converted 80 for sale on Ebay...

Don't just look at them, ENGAGE THEM before you hand over the cash. If they won't engage, try and re negotiate. Actually try EVERYTHING make sure it all works.

I agree, I tested everything feature n function of the car before buying it, paid more than I should since I had to spend $1000 on a AC Job (compressor and evaporator) but im sure it will pay off in the long run, strong truck, i can tell u that

Who you buy the truck from is as important as what you buy. Buy the truck from the right guy, you get what's advertised, even sight unseen. Buy the truck from an asshat in Alaska, you get hosed.

TJK

Not all Alaskans are asshats but we have our fair share...

Or....buy an 80 that is in really terrific shape with low milage that has no lockers and add your own. ARB lockers are superior (in my opinion) to the factory lockers. I rather buy a truck that is in great shape without factory lockers than a crappy one with factory lockers.

I added my ARB lockers and I am superbly happy with them.

im heading out in the morning for a 3 n half hour drive to go look at a 91 land cruiser. Thanks for the help guys

Don't know if this was mentioned but make sure the belts are Toyota belts. I had the mistake of getting aftermarket belts and they snapped on me 3 hours from home.

Seems like a simple thing that can save you lots of time in the future.

Don't get in a hurry.

After looking and waiting several months for an LX450 or Land Cruiser on KSL Classifieds in Utah, I finally contacted the Utah Lexus and Toyota Dealers and gave them exactly what I was looking for. An 80 series Land Cruiser or LX450 with locking differentials. The next day I got a call from a Lexus sales person asking if I was interested in a LX470. I had my heart set on an 80 series so I told him I would wait. Three hours later the same guy called me back and told me they just barely got in a 96 LX450. I live in Wyoming so I asked him to send pictures. He sent some bad pictures of the exterior and one of the interior but no picture of the locking diff knob. I contacted him again and ask him to send the picture of the locking diff knob. I think he thought I was crazy but he did and it was the right one so I paid a refundable down payment and went down on the next Saturday to see it. I bought it.
It was in great shape but needed some work. I may have paid more from a dealer but the nice thing about that was that they made sure it would pass all safety and emissions so they replaced brake rotors, brake pads, and worn cables. They also replaced the headers, O2 sensors and both catalytic converters before they delivered it to me.
The only advice I can give is don’t get in a hurry and do your homework! Look for and buy what you really want. I found several without lockers and in pretty good shape for way too much and some in bad shape for a cheap. Luckily I waited and got what I wanted. :cheers:

Welcome to the 80 group.

Pictures and a build thread comes next.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Hopefully I'll be acquiring a clean, low-milage LX 450 soon (pink panties included ;)). ih8mud has been an invaluable resource and has given me the confidence to buy and wrench on a nearly 20 year old truck versus springing for a 100 series as was my original plan.

I've recently come across a 97 LX with 119k miles asking ~$12k (no lockers). It's not local but appears to be very clean in photos and is a trade-in from a single owner who had every oil change/service done at the same Lexus dealer from 1997 up until about 15 months ago (nearly 40 maintenance records!). It's been driven roughly 3k miles since that time.

Is the price a bit high? I was originally targeting something with closer to 175k miles and a cheaper price tag but this one appears to be a nice specimen. I know I'll need to service the front axle as part of my baselining since it's approaching 120k (should be a fun first PM job! o_O)

Thanks again for dropping some knowledge on me.

Well I have made a verbal offer on the LX mentioned above and bought a one-way flight and will hopefully drive away with my LX 450 this weekend! I'll officially introduce my truck and post some pics after I seal the deal.

I spent a long time looking for my 80. It as was not perfect but was a VERY solid truck when bought it. 184,000 miles new 33" BFG and factory lockers for $5100. I have fixed a lot of stuff. Mostly a LOT of PM and only a few thing that were broken or not working. Still needs the AC charged or repaired, slow windows fixed and roof monstorlined. Good 80s are out there but they are getting hard to find.

Guys, i'm in the market. Is it possible to have the locker dial (front/ rear) and the center locker button from the factory? If so what's this tri fecta called?

@4G63 POWER , I don't think the US Spec 80 series ever had the CDL switch from the factory, but it is pre-wired for it (harness for it behind the dash area near the heater controls). If you get a locked 80, and want to add a CDL switch (hazard switch or the real deal CDL switch), it's literally a 10-minute job. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom