Air Pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ordered a remanufactured Cardone air pump (aka smog pump) for the Cruiser to keep as a back-up. Having read some threads where people discussed how these are getting hard to find, I was pretty happy to find out that it is readily available through major auto parts chains.

Well, the shipment arrived today, and I'm disappointed by what I see. It's all scrapped up, appears dirty, has various welds here and there, and when I checked inside the opening, I see lints and craps in there. Other Cardone stuff I've gotten in the past are not like this at all. Has anybody ordered these (33-768) and gotten a better result?

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG

Since no one has steppped into this, I'll just give you my opinion. Looks like some PO rigged mounting bracket welded to the pump. What year is your truck? Mine is a '75 and doesn't look like that.

It's actually Cardone rigged. I've seen several exactly like that. They get a "similar to OEM size" pump, sleeve up the hose connections & TIG on the pivot sleeve. Spray it & pray it don't come back.

Since no one has steppped into this, I'll just give you my opinion. Looks like some PO rigged mounting bracket welded to the pump. What year is your truck? Mine is a '75 and doesn't look like that.

Mine is 1980, California spec. Pump is OEM part # 17610-61030, which is different from yours. Mine has a 4 bolt pulley, while yours has 3.

The photos in Cardone's advertising look identical to the one on my truck. I compared carefully, and I'm quite sure it's the right pump. The problem is the rough quality. I assume it works, but it makes me wonder about their quality control.

Last edited:
Like Jim says, it's what Cardone does to 'make it work' ... I've seen them, as well as other threads about this.

You should just find a core and send it to: rebuildingfactory.com In Camarillo. He replaces the carbon vanes and bearings on FJ60 pumps, and that part # is the same as the 60 pumps, but don't know if that is right pump for your truck.

EDIT: according to the EPC, the Cal Spec pump for that truck is the same as the FJ60 pumps.

Like Jim says, it's what Cardone does to 'make it work' ... I've seen them, as well as other threads about this.

You should just find a core and send it to: rebuildingfactory.com In Camarillo. He replaces the carbon vanes and bearings on FJ60 pumps, and that part # is the same as the 60 pumps, but don't know if that is right pump for your truck.

EDIT: according to the EPC, the Cal Spec pump for that truck is the same as the FJ60 pumps.

Thanks for the tip on using rebuildingfactory.com. I'll go that route and return the Cardone junk.

You're correct about the California spec pump for this year being the same as the FJ60 pump.

Thanks for the tip on using rebuildingfactory.com. I'll go that route and return the Cardone junk.

@Racer65 Did you have your smog pump rebuilt by rebuildingfactory.com? What was the cost? I need a pump now and was thinking of getting the Cardone pump but after reading your post I am having second thoughts. I may be better off waiting a couple of weeks for the rebuilt pump. Thanks!

@Racer65 Did you have your smog pump rebuilt by rebuildingfactory.com? What was the cost? I need a pump now and was thinking of getting the Cardone pump but after reading your post I am having second thoughts. I may be better off waiting a couple of weeks for the rebuilt pump. Thanks!

I never got to it. My pump is still working fine, so it didn't take high priority.

Thanks! I will check with them...
Wondering if you ever pursued the rebuild?

I subsequently purchased a rebuilt pump from @65swb45 . Got it installed but haven't operated the car yet due to other work. Still considering getting the original pump rebuilt for future sake.

IMG_8044.JPG
IMG_2172.JPG

Last edited:
Curious goes wrong with these pumps? The pump on my 76 seized and PO bypassed it. Someone gave me another pump that the hose connections locations are different. Haven't checked that close but thought might be able to switch the backed to get the hose connections in the right location. But if it's just bearings probably just as easy replacing those.

Curious goes wrong with these pumps? The pump on my 76 seized and PO bypassed it. Someone gave me another pump that the hose connections locations are different. Haven't checked that close but thought might be able to switch the backed to get the hose connections in the right location. But if it's just bearings probably just as easy replacing those.
The carbon vanes or the shoes crumble apart and then the pieces get jammed between rotor and housing.
The rotor is often bent from the catastrophic failure, rendering the pump non-rebuildable.

Smog pump questions

I rebuilt mine awhile back, different year pump, but same concept. check out the link, there is also a link for bearings. I deal with a vacuum pump manufacturer who helped me with new vanes. maybe something you can do yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom