Help - need 50mm deepwell hub socket in Boise, ID (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally rebuilding the front axle, all disassembled, and I find my hub socket is for a 56 mm nut. My old drumbrake '75 axle requires a 50mm. I could duct-tape the inside of what I have to shim it out, but on the off chance someone in SW Idaho has one I can borrow this weekend, I would sure appreciate it!

Thank You kindly,

Jim Seal
jfseal@palconsult.com

Some one told me to make one from a exhaust pipe reduction. Bad memmory, but may e a 2 1/2 to 2" and smash it on six sides and that makes the size you need. This was for taking off warn hubs, but I believe it was the same size.

Wish they were. These measure just under 2" and are the same as what I've got on the old drum brake spindle from our 1972. I got a $35 2" socket from Sears, but its not deep enough. Guess I'll Jerry-rig the socket I've got.

BTW, the P.O. had the MAF disc brake kit put on it by a shop. While they (yea!) installed the marlin axles seals on it, they tightened the axle nuts with a BFH and a chisel or screwdriver.:bang: Wonder how they ever got the preload right.:hmm:

Now that I think about it, that's why I'm back in there!

Drum brake spindle nuts are smaller than disc brake spindle nuts...

Jim,

A decent NAPA should have a spindle nut socket that would work for you.

Old Willys spindle nuts are close and when I first had purchased my 40 back in '88, I used a Willys spindle nut socket on my Land Cruiser drum brake spindle nuts.

:beer:

I used to live in Boise and bought all that stuff at a used tool shop in Meridian. I do not know if it is still there ?

I am from the hammer and screwdriver club.
Got her done with the "54mm" socket and a generous supply of duct-tape. Kinda' gypo but it torqued OK.

Poser, I referred to "73 Guppy's" mini truck disk brake conversion, and I found a hardcopy of "Geocities" write up that Guppy references, but is no longer available on the Web. Should I image that and send to you for re-inclusion in that FAQs thread, or is it available elsewhere?

Thanks for the help guys. The GPO is back on the road!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom