Troll Hole carb questions?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Carb runs good for a few miles than runs not smooth bumping and idling low. Hitting the right hand bolt if you're facing the cab with a hammer fixes the problem temporally, Anyone know the problem and any permeant fixes or adjustments, rebuild kit?

Carb runs good for a few miles than runs not smooth bumping and idling low. Hitting the right hand bolt if you're facing the cab with a hammer fixes the problem temporally, Anyone know the problem and any permeant fixes or adjustments, rebuild kit?
You may want to contact Marshall, Mr. Trollhole......FWIW - I don't think a hammer and any carburetor go together very well. However, there are a few screws that adjust the idle, the (choke) fast idle and the idle mixture screw. Do a search and you will probably find what you are looking for.

Like this one, Trollhole Carb. There are many others on here that may offer the help you need.

Not a Trollhole, but same screws:
CarbItems.jpg

Contact trollhole. A few of these have had schmutz (manufacturing shavings) that might clog the idle jet.

find a factory service manual and go thru the carb as tho it were a non usa factory piece. I wouldn't want to call THC and tell him about how I was getting it to work, if it were by means of use of a hammer...rule out vacuum leaks, do an oakie rebuild and then call

When I got a trollhole, it ran great for a while and then ran poorly. I assumed that it couldn't be the carb because it was brand new. I looked at everything else and then opened up the carb-it was full of shavings. A few others have reported this problem and has he handled them professionally. What i would do is to get a paper towel and open up the bowl drain bolt. Let the bowl drain through the paper towel. If it's full of metal shavings, you might have this problem. If it's clean, then check everything else (vacuum, etc).

Maybe you ust need a bigger hammer?

I forsee a mini episode of gallagher :)

l_b0a58b00-e246-11e1-a1a2-f981d5200005.jpg

But.... as mentioned above ... its probably something in the bowl... could be shavings... could be rust from gas tank... could be rust from hard lines... sandblast material... you name it.... you would need to open her up and check

Thanks the harbor freight fj40.thc-01 hammer works perfectly... but really thanks guys drained the bowl and found shavings and other unwanted stuff in the gas.

Thanks the harbor freight fj40.thc-01 hammer works perfectly... but really thanks guys drained the bowl and found shavings and other unwanted stuff in the gas.
"....other unwanted stuff in the gas?"....you may want to check your fuel filter, make sure you have one first, and then if you do, make sure it is working.

Not sure what the other stuff is, but if you have aluminum shavings in there, this is something that trollhole has seen before (manufacturing/qa slip up) and will resolve for you. I'll bet that some of those shavings have found their way into one or more of the jets.

Thanks I'll look again tomorrow

Fwiw

Gas I the sight glass is perhaps 1/3 + up from the bottom

Pcv seems to be working. When pulled engine operation gets worse

Hammer? Lol

It's probably a faulty float, when you hit it with a hammer it shocks the needle seat to work.

When I got a trollhole, it ran great for a while and then ran poorly. I assumed that it couldn't be the carb because it was brand new. I looked at everything else and then opened up the carb-it was full of shavings. A few others have reported this problem and has he handled them professionally. What i would do is to get a paper towel and open up the bowl drain bolt. Let the bowl drain through the paper towel. If it's full of metal shavings, you might have this problem. If it's clean, then check everything else (vacuum, etc).

That Manufacturer was from only one batch. Big mistake on my part. Nothing in the past two years, maybe more, has had this issue. Went back with my original manufacturer.

My biggest issue I had in the beginning was the rivets would leak. Got that fixed a long time ago. Now a majority of the problem is with our stupid american ethonal gas. It's a crap shoot but from time to time. if someone runs e85 accidentally or just get a really strong tank of more than 10% ethanol. Which happens. It can melt the prescreen above the float needle. If this happens all kinds of weird things can happen. Best thing to do is remove the top half of carb gently trying not to damage the gasket. You want the gasket to come off with the top half. I use a long razor knife or putty knife. Then remove float. Then remove gasket. They usually come off in one piece. Then break the seal on the brass needle seat with a pair of vise grips then unscrew with a flat screwdriver. Remove the screen and reassemble.

That Manufacturer was from only one batch. Big mistake on my part. Nothing in the past two years, maybe more, has had this issue. Went back with my original manufacturer.

My biggest issue I had in the beginning was the rivets would leak. Got that fixed a long time ago. Now a majority of the problem is with our stupid american ethonal gas. It's a crap shoot but from time to time. if someone runs e85 accidentally or just get a really strong tank of more than 10% ethanol. Which happens. It can melt the prescreen above the float needle. If this happens all kinds of weird things can happen. Best thing to do is remove the top half of carb gently trying not to damage the gasket. You want the gasket to come off with the top half. I use a long razor knife or putty knife. Then remove float. Then remove gasket. They usually come off in one piece. Then break the seal on the brass needle seat with a pair of vise grips then unscrew with a flat screwdriver. Remove the screen and reassemble.

Marshall,

Do you know the time frame of the bad batch? I have one that I bought from you a while ago, just now getting the restoration up to the point of trying to run it - and I'm having weird problems.

I'll pull my purchase docs tonight & see when I bought it from you.

Ok. I'll give it a try
Thank s

My biggest issue I had in the beginning was the rivets would leak. Got that fixed a long time ago.

Good to hear that you've got it figured out. You'll notice that my post was from a couple of years ago. I'm not bashing-you provide a good service to the LC community. Have you considered having them made without the pre-screen (or removing them yourself)? Seems like a ticking time bomb to have a screen that can't tolerate ethanol.

Trollhole

I guess I responded in the wrong thread. Could you help me out if I gave you a call.

I cannot get mpg under Control. Black smoke and idle solenoid when disconnected does not do anything

Thanks
Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom