I may lose my LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 4 pinion is preferred and stronger diff than the early year 2 pinion design.

You need to find out your trucks current gear ratio and match that when installing the replacement.

Is the stock front differential relatively fragile or is it just a matter of time/miles/stress before it fails?

They are fragile. 98-99 more than the 2000+ but both are weak. Toyota crammed a 8" Mini-truck diff underneath a full size SUV.

If you didn't drive anywhere there is a good chance your ring gear is fine and you will only need a new diff. I broke mine many years ago and got crazy advice and quotes before doing my homework. I was able to buy a upgraded (2000+) Toyota 4pinion diff from someone on Mud that installed a ARB locker relatively cheap and did all the labor of installing it myself.

I sure hope so, I was not planning on buying a front differential for christmas. Maybe santa will drop one down my chimney:santa:

I have a 1998 front end third member from my own LC from when I put in my TJM front locker. This is completely stock, no gear changes. no gear damage. About 150k miles on it.
Are you interested?

I have a 1998 front end third member from my own LC from when I put in my TJM front locker. This is completely stock, no gear changes. no gear damage. About 150k miles on it.
Are you interested?
I may be yes. I just have to wait for my mechanic to confirm what all is broken.

Definitely glad I have you guys, hopefully tomorrow ill know forsure what is wrong and i will report back. Thanks!

Make sure you pay attention to the little details in this thread and get a diff that's a 4pinion design from a 2000 or newer Cruiser minimum. IMO it isn't worth all the trouble replacing with a older 98-99 2 pinion unit that will likely fail again in the future. Alternatively- if you can afford it take this opportunity to upgrade to a full locker ARB or TJM front diff.

I wish i could afford it but sadly i can't, although benc is selling me his old front diff for a reasonable price

If you plan to keep wheeling the thing you should upgrade to an ARB or TJM carrier, 2wd 'till then.

Only install a used diff with free labor as a temp fix. Don't pay shop labor to install another grenade, my 2c.

Well most of my offroad time consists of snow and ice in North Carolina, not deep Ga mudholes. But fingers crossed my differential is not broken and its just something small that can be fixed (i know its not gonna be that easy)

I wish i could afford it but sadly i can't, although benc is selling me his old front diff for a reasonable price
How much is benc asking for his? I'm out of work right now (and trying to downsize, read: get rid of my storage unit) and can use a little extra green. I don't mean to take anything away from benc, but if he doesn't have to sell his, consider mine. I'll beat his price unless he has to sell his, then I'll stand down.
PM me if you still need it and are interested. Keep benc in the loop. I don't want to start any bad blood on this forum.

Here's the thing, I blew my front diff last winter and tho it was a bummer, I machined the drive flanges, removed the front prop shaft, locked the center and drove around like that happily spinning the rear tires for 8 months while I saved up. So don't give up on your 100 yet. If it's the diff, just drive it in 2wd until you save the dough

How much is benc asking for his? I'm out of work right now (and trying to downsize, read: get rid of my storage unit) and can use a little extra green. I don't mean to take anything away from benc, but if he doesn't have to sell his, consider mine. I'll beat his price unless he has to sell his, then I'll stand down.
PM me if you still need it and are interested. Keep benc in the loop. I don't want to start any bad blood on this forum.
I don't mind if he buys yours for less, but if you ask me it wouldn't make much sense to replace his broken one with the weaker 2 pinion. Pm him your price, he already has mine, and let him decide

Good luck with the repair. I just picked up a 99 LX like yours and my radiator went out on day 1. Good advice from everyone to fix it corrcctly the first go around.

I just got a 99 LX, 140k miles. I read all the posts, and just have a noob question. Does the front differential break from wheeling it, or wheeling it too hard.....as in, do they ever break just from daily driving. I feel like the answer is no, or most likely not, but just curious.

I feel like running over rocks could do it, not sure about 45mph to the mall, haha.

I read all the posts, and just have a noob question. Does the front differential break from wheeling it, or wheeling it too hard.....as in, do they ever break just from daily driving.

As long as you don't have 35" tires and doing rock crawling or anything that would cause the drive train to load up hard, you'll be fine.
my wife's LC has 265k miles with 285/75 16" on a stock platform and never had an issue. When we go wheeling, she will mostly do trails runs with minor technical sections. Her thrill threshold won't allow her to do anything that would probably bust a front end.

Last edited:
Haha. Ok, awesome. I live in Austin and have yet to go off road, I have heard of places.....but am a bit weary of going without having done it before. It seems like it takes more knowleadge than I had expected, haha.

These Land Cruisers are incredible, though. This forum convinced me to get one, traded in a much newer Acura with half the miles for it....people think I'm crazy.

I hope everything works out for the OP, thanks for the info again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom