Builds SLOW 71 (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had some luck today with finding the right grommets for all the vent and fuel lines. Crawled under the parts pig and found all of them intact, in fact I was surprised how soft and pliable they were after all those years. Next is finding the right size lines. Auto parts stores all have the thick wall lines. I'll stop at the dealer and see what they have.

IMG_2697.JPG

With a little soap and water.

IMG_2698.JPG

New headlights came today, Truck Lites. I'm going to give leds a try and see if I like them. It gets dark in the country, so I wanted something brighter than stock, but not melt the other guy's windshield. In the coming days, I'll get them mounted and see how they look. Working on a dozen things, trying to wrap some stuff up.

IMG_2703.JPG

Nice. Are those Truck-Lites?

Hey David, yes they are. I've been doing some reading and seem to like them, so we'll give them a try.

I'm getting ready to finish the doors and tailgate and putting back all the door guts is a good brain teaser. The parts wagon helped out again. Anyway here's some pictures of why our door handles, locks and window cranks don't work like they should. All stripped down and Cad. plated, then lubricated with dry silicone spray.

IMG_2720.JPG

IMG_2724.JPG

Had a time with the inside door handle spring, hint, do it before the beer.

IMG_2717.JPG

Some rechrome for the inside.

IMG_2718.JPG

Now, what to do with this mess.

IMG_2719.JPG

Hey Ron, as usual, beautiful work. I'm curious about the chrome plating. There is no one local here to do it. I've been told that there is a decent place in EL Paso, TX. What kind of cost should I expect to pay for say, exterior door handles, window cranks, etc.
Thanks, Mark

The door handles were $140 and the window cranks were $80. The stuff isn't cheap. On the window cranks, make sure they tape the rubber knob before buffing. My guy ruined one by hitting the buffer wheel.

Since the frame guy smashed the fuel and air lines, I tried some of the left over Gravel Guard on the air lines and it fits perfect. The stuff is tough, but won't stand up to a frame clamp, it will take a rock or log hit though. It's stainless steel coil and comes in several diameters, sold by the foot. I'm using it on all the fuel, brake and air lines.

On another subject, I started on the doors, but looked at the locks and decided to take them all to the locksmith. All locks and ignition are keyed alike and he's going to clean, lub. and replace worn parts. Another delay!

IMG_2727.JPG

Got a few more things plated before putting the door puzzle back together. I went a little over board and had the door card clips plated, decided to use the old ones, might as well clean them and not worry about rust. :D

If anybody wondered what was all involved in the vent window lock, here it is. Oh Man!

IMG_2728.JPG

IMG_2729.JPG

IMG_2730.JPG

IMG_2730.JPG

Man that's pretty! Your raising the bar. I'm going have to check out plating now.

Yeah, I like the look of the yellow cadmium and was told it's several times more rust resistant than the yellow zinc. The company that does mine, does a lot of the military's plating. You can actually get in a olive drab color. The yellow color can be scratched, but the cadmium is still there.

Looking great Ron.

I’m digging all you gold pig jewelry!

That's funny, I made a necklace out of the door card clips and told my Wife I was getting it plated for her Christmas present, she didn't find it humorous.

Good and Bad Day...

First the bad, involves spending three days putting all the door guts back in the doors and then discovering you left out the coil springs on all the regulators. :doh: Note to self, take a lot of pictures and remember to look at them!

IMG_2734.JPG

Now some good, sort of...

I bought two Toyota horns from a fella on Mud for $90 and lost them in my shop, can't find them anywhere, so I get a hold of him for another pair and they went up to $120. :bang: Just couldn't do it, so I bought a set of Hella's for $51. I didn't like the bright red frames, so painted them black and some stainless screws. What's your opinion on where they are mounted? Will it block any air flow?

IMG_2733.JPG

Really don't see them behind the grille.

IMG_2731.JPG

The windshield came in today and it looks great, can't wait to get all the glass in.

Thanks Bob, I must of been too attentive to all the damn arms and connections required, to see I left out the springs. There's a lot going on in a door! Now about that beer. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom