These holes give me a sinking feeling... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JohnVee

SILVER Star
Threads
I've got some holes opening up in my front yard that I'd like some advice about.
Here are the facts:

1. We've had a mole problem this spring and fall.
2. My yard slopes down from the street, and the street runs downhill - compound hill.
3. Each hole is approximately the diameter of the human leg that created it.
4. They all run 12"-20+" deep and spread out in cavern style from there.
5. I don't know how far the caverns run.
6. The deepest of them is right against the trunk of a tree capable of splitting my house in half. There is little doubt that the tree will fall towards the house due to the lay of the land.
7. There are 4 holes at this point in a line about 150' long.
8. The first 3 are approximately 25' from first to third (the tree is at #3).
9. We are on city water and sewer.
10. The city will have somebody here to investigate within 5 business days as per my phone call today.
11. I'm in Charlotte, NC
12. The tree is a Silver Maple about 20" diameter.

Any useful thoughts you guys might have are very much appreciated. My worst case thought right now is that the city will say that there is an underground water leak (their fault) but the mole issue is on me and exacerbated the problem so they bear no responsibility. Then the tree will fall and destroy the house while awaiting resolution. Actually, I have a lot more worst case scenarios, but let's leave it at that.

I've spoken to a pest control guy and a landscaper but will not post their thoughts until I've heard your opinions.

Thanks again,
--john

Last edited:
John, please post some pics or send them to me via e-mail ....

With rain coming on Saturday, suggest getting a tree expert there ASAP .... there may be something that can be done to shore up the tree.

Do you know where your water and sewer mains run on the property? Sounds like a sinkhole.

Are the mole mounds near these sinkholes?

I am with Sam in that it sound like you need to shore up that tree before the rain comes.

I think the moles may be a "red herring" in this issue, but the water/sewer lines may be an issue. From your description, it sounds like something is undermining your yard (and creating a sinkhole like situation).

I have seen horrendous mole (and vole) infestations, but never seen holes like you are describing come from that. I have seen high pressure water leaks do exactly what you are describing

It does sound like a combo really especially if the holes are in a straight line

Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key...

caddyshack.jpg

This looks pretty interesting - Kill them with a percussive blast. >http://www.molecat.com/

If the tree is alive and as big as you say then I doubt mole holes will cause it to fall. The root system should be extensive if it healthy. If you have a tree guy you trust, have them come do a free inspection. Tree removal is damn expensive, but less so than repairing your house.

If it's a water leak then you should see evidence somewhere, higher than expected bill, extremely wet spots that don't drain if there has been no rain for a few days, some other outlet for the water. Independent of that, if it is a water problem shouldn't matter what the cause was, city owns responsibility for everything from the meter back.

Got any pictures?

Any noticeable water, if it is a water problem? Any mounds around the holes as if something is digging?
Groundhogs can do some damage, but a mole or smaller creature shouldn't do what you are explaining.
Pictures to further the investigating properties of the crime.

I agree with Sam. The moles are not it. Is there a storm drain on the street above the house?

@jfz80 , what say you?

Its hard to determine what these holes are without pics. If they are rodent related then stick a pipe on your exhaust and gas them out periodically. If it is a water issue you would see some sign of water bubbling out either in your yard or down slope. Another thing that a lot of folks overlook is when an underground root system or old buried stump finally rots away and the ground sinks in a pattern. If there is no pattern and the house is less than ten years old I've also found that buried construction debris that causes holes. Usually something holding dirt out of a pocket underground finally decomposes and the soil then fills the void creating a series of small sink holes. Buried construction debris would cause a more random pattern of holes.

Thanks for the comments so far, guys, and to @CruizerHound for the phone call. Pics will have to wait till morning. I'm with Sam on the mole red herring. My neighbors have them bad, too.

I turned off the water at the house shut-off and saw no movement of the meter at the city end. This should at least prove there's no leak between the city meter and my house. Upstream of that is unknown. My water bills have not been higher than normal since we moved in 5 years ago.

The city has been out twice in the last 12+ months marking sewer lines for cleaning. I can say for certain that there is a sewer line (either waste or runoff) that runs lengthwise down the center of the street (up/downhill). There is also a sewer line on my property line on the downhill side of the yard that runs at almost a right angle to the street (downhill from street to bottom of my property before flattening out). Unsure if waste or runoff but I can usually hear water flowing through it.

The house was built in 1974 and the front yard has not been molested that anybody remembers due to the nature of it being a hill. The large tree is approximately 20" in diameter, so it's probably been there from the start. I had the construction debris issue in my last house.

As for the decomp idea - I could imagine a large, straight, fallen tree from long ago rotting out in a straight line and groundwater seepage causing any variance to that line.

There are also some streams around and largely hilly terrain. Who knows what was diverted when the neighborhood was built.

An arborist will be here at 9am Friday to advise on the tree health and options on that end. The tree is my real concern right now. While it appears healthy, how many times have you seen one that just blew or fell over? I fear its root system is not in secure soil. Sarah tells me it's a Silver Maple.

Edit: @GLTHFJ60 The mole trails run mostly parallel to the hole line at the top of the yard by the street. They scatter near the bottom of the yard. The hole line is halfway between top and bottom of yard. The visible entrances and exits are all over, not concentrated near the openings in discussion here.

Also, while we've seen all manner of deer, coyote, fox, squirrel, rabbit, etc, we've never seen a groundhog/hedgehog/whatever. Nor an otter, beaver or muskrat. The nearest stream is over 300 yards away through the backyard.

When I had a mole issue at my house, I literally took a page out of caddy shack to solve the issue. I put a hose in the largest mole tunnel I could find and turned on the water. After 15 min I could see the mole create new tunnels before my eyes. I then blocked them in with a pair of shovels and then took a machete to their asses. Wanted to shoot them, but that would be frowned upon within city limits. You might have another issue altogether if there is a water leak, but just thought I would mention caddy shack option is possible. Wish the best for you my friend.

Last edited:
I have a big fire hose with the city key and of course a meter if you have a fire hydrant close.

Easy way to get rid of underground vermin is shoving a roadside flare in the hole, but still thinking not a critter issue.

Your mention of city drain line on your property sounds like suspect #1.

Best wishes. Keep us posted.

40 year old infrastructure... What type of pipe? both sewers and water supply, can be compromised. Main can be seeping, and your private line may be fine. Get quick insurance cover regarding the tree?

could it be an old row of trees that were cut down and finally the roots have rotted away?

Tree guy said it would probably take a sustained 40+mph wind during full canopy after a week of rain to bring it down. Provided the ground isn't toast. I still feel much better about it. Lots of large, deep anchor roots. He said the holes look as if they've been there awhile since he saw some new root growth mixed in with the old.

Pest control said I've got a lot of moles/voles. So did the tree guy!

Pics coming.

40 year old infrastructure... What type of pipe? both sewers and water supply, can be compromised. Main can be seeping, and your private line may be fine. Get quick insurance cover regarding the tree?
I don't know about the pipe. Maybe the city guys can enlighten me when the come. Can you explain the insurance thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom