2006 4Runner rear diff noise. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The rear diff in my wife's 06 4Runner has been making more and more noise. After draining the oil and finding no issues, we discovered some odd wear pattern on the teeth. So, I'm going to replace it.

Any suggestions on where to find a good used one? I looked through a cl, the classifieds here and a few local 4x4 boards, but couldn't find anything. It's a 3.73 so I figured there would be loads of people who upgraded to lower gears getting rid of them, but maybe people just replace the gears instead of the entire diff.

My other option is to buy new gears and rebuild it, but I'd like to explore finding a good used one first.

Thanks in advance for the ideas.

Mark

While the 8" rear was considered robust for a 79 Hilux with 27" tires and 85 horsepower, Unfortunately the 8" is a bit on the small size for the late model vehicles with triple the power and almost twice the weight. Typically with toyota's we've made aftermarket gears for gear changes, as the OE stuff was pretty robust. The 3.73's fail enough in the late FJC/Taco/4runner that we actually offer new after market 3.73. here's what you need:

Links:
Nitro 3.73 Ring & Pinion Toyota 8" We also have some good used OE 3.73 gears for $150(call)
Master install kit Toyota 8"
Solid Pinion Preload spacer (rec.)

The rear diff in my wife's 06 4Runner has been making more and more noise. After draining the oil and finding no issues, we discovered some odd wear pattern on the teeth. So, I'm going to replace it.

Any suggestions on where to find a good used one? I looked through a cl, the classifieds here and a few local 4x4 boards, but couldn't find anything. It's a 3.73 so I figured there would be loads of people who upgraded to lower gears getting rid of them, but maybe people just replace the gears instead of the entire diff.

My other option is to buy new gears and rebuild it, but I'd like to explore finding a good used one first.

Thanks in advance for the ideas.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom