Overhauling a Sprinter Van (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to travel across the country and want to sleep in a sprinter van. I don't want the interior to feel like a van, but more like a small abode. Are there any companies out there that can completely overhaul my van, or will I need to do it myself?

Have a local cabinet maker pimp your van.
More than capable

my Dad did ours back in 1970, but it was an old panel van with engine in middle of seats. He build seats, crude fridge, etc. we slept over front seats in hammock like apparatus, Mom and Dad slept in back. I will post up a picture. We drove from Virginia to Montana in it and stayed at KOAs and friends along the way.... what fun...

Going back in the way back when machine. Here is a picture of my sister and I eating lunch in the back of it.
20141218_085018.jpg

If you haven't purchased the Sprinter yet you might research other options....

Lemons are all I hear.:meh:

Look at the service records of the older sprinter you are thinking about buying.
A few things to look for:
Has the automatic transmission been replaced yet? If so, when?
How many transmissions have been put in the vehicle?
If it is a manual transmission, when was the clutch done?
How long between brake jobs? Did they replace the rotors?

The sprinter is an "in between" vehicle for dealerships. Not all Dodge dealerships work on them. Big truck "Freightliner" repair centers will work on them but do not carry the parts on hand. Their shop labor rates are not based on the size of vehicle. A $2,800 brake job every 10 months is not uncommon.

A $5k -$6k transmission replacement every 80-100k miles is common.

This information doesn't come from forums, it comes from having had 7 in our fleet.

I would love to have the diesel high roof cargo version with the 5 speed transmission. Knowing what I know about them, I would have to buy it cheep it it would have to have great service records.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom