Please suggest 275/70R16 good for snow and all season / dirt roads (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@TTO5 Hope these pics are close to what you are looking for. I have not noticed a change in gas mileage, but that may be because I'm so used to it being around 11-12 that I don't even notice if it dipped a little below that. Not sure what you mean by the p or LT, but I attached a pic of the size on the sidewall. Disregard the dirty wheel, 3" of rain has been dumped on us in the past 2 days and I can't resist the occasional mud hole on the side of the road:)

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

OP, I think you will be very happy with Michelin LTX M/S in stock size. I have them on my '03 in the stock 18" size. Very quiet, long lasting tire with great tread pattern for snow. Not so good for hard core off road, but dirt roads, windy snow covered roads, and lots of highway / around town it's a great choice. Check out the reviews on Michelin.com.

The only problem I've had with BFG A/T KO's is they last forever. My last set were only half worn at 60k miles. Had to sell the 80 series to get new tires ;)

How many miles do you have on your Falkens? We have a set that was put on by the dealer on our 4Runner and they have been great so far in everything we have thrown at them. My main concern is the siping does not go very deep into the tread. I have seen one set where I talked with the owner and he had about 35k on his and the center line was completely flat (no siping at all) and there was very little left on the side. He said that they still performed well but when the roads got wetter he felt like they were starting to slip. Seems like there are a few tires that have very similar tread patterns that once you hit about 30k miles they start having issues.

We also used to have Yokos (ATs, highway ones not the ATS) on our 2008 Highlander. I have never had such a garbage tire, didn't even last 30k miles (rated as a 55k to 60k tire), were so loud that we constantly had people in the back seat comment on the "hum" that was coming from the back but seemed to do OK in most weather except for snow/ice (which they are rated as a M+S if I remember correctly). One of our work vehicles (a 2009 Rav4) has the ATS and they are so loud that you actually have to yell to be able to hold a conversation. Due to those two items I will never buy another Yokohama tire again, just can't bring myself to do it.

With my LC I am in the market for new tires and trying to decide between something more XT (Xtreme All Terrain, not quite MT but not AT either) or with a standard AT. Currently throwing around the Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx, Cooper Discoverer AT3, Mickey ATZ P3 (highly recommended by friends who own a truck shop) and Mickey STZ. Would like to go with the ATZ P3 on my friends recommendation but even at my cost they would be $200/ea for 31x10.5x15 where as the ST Maxx have a similar tread pattern and design and will run me about $160/ea.

Decisions, decisions.... but got to make a choice soon here before winter hits and we get snow on the ground.

Great feedback! For stock size AT, it looks like it's the Yoka Geolander ATS vs. the BFG AT - can anyone compare the two? And everyone seems to love the DuraTrac, but that doesn't come 275/70/16, so would you recommend 265/75/16 as the closest, best option? And at that size, why no love for the Bridgestone Revo? That seemed to be a favorite here a few years ago. Thanks for all the ideas - I'm still pondering but hoping to figure it out this weekend - looking for stock size or close, good all season use, but especially in snow / ice for driving to ski.

Go to tirerack.com and plug in all these tires in your size on the "compare" option. That should give you all the info you need to make your decision based on your needs.

As suggested by SWUtah, I've been checking out the tire rack survey, the highest ranked AT tires, regardless of size are Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure w Kevlar and Firestone Destination AT, which didn't receive many recommendations in response to my original post, and also aren't available in the stock 16" size. The Duratracs survey first in the "commercial" traction survey, not the regular AT survey - I'm not sure why. However in stock 16" size, BFG Rugged Terrain and BFG AT TA KO are tops in AT and Michelin LTX in Highway / All season. So, even with the surveys, I'm waffling a bit.
And add to that, that the surveys on 1010 Tires have quite different results. The BFG AT KO have pretty bad ratings on that site and the Pirellis are first.

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with the BFG AT/KO. Tough, last forever. Not snowflake rated, but do good in the snow. Get the new KO2's if available in your size. They are snow flake rated good in all snow. Both look great :)

Planning a trip to Colorado this winter and will be driving my land cruiser with E rated 275/70/18 non snowflake rated BFG A/T KO. Should I have any concern or watch for handling issues with these tires on roads that have not been maintained following snowfall or icy conditions?

Planning a trip to Colorado this winter and will be driving my land cruiser with E rated 275/70/18 non snowflake rated BFG A/T KO. Should I have any concern or watch for handling issues with these tires on roads that have not been maintained following snowfall or icy conditions?

Yes. you probably will. The BFG KO are the worst AT tires I have ever used in winter conditions. Their compounding, which makes them last forever is what makes them so horrid in the cold. Below 30F their durometer goes up, and with that traction decreases significantly on snow. Forget about traction on ice. IMO they are unsafe for winter use. They are not allowed for winter use in many ares of Canada for a reason.

KOs are a decades old design and technology. Many late model AT tires are compounded wider temperature use, but keep in mind are not snow tires. Coopers new AT/W is pretty freakin amazing in snow and on ice, on par with Nokian WR.

^^^not the response I was hoping for, but thank you. I've driven 8 ply BFG AT KO out in Colorado during winter conditions with good results, albeit in a different vehicle. They had the snow rating noted on the tire.

There's something we can agree on!
LOL...agreed. But not on a 200 in Costa Rica ;)

A buddy just put a set on his 4rnr first snow I was banging on his door to go testing. Impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom