Smittybuilt sells a RTT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My kid and I made it thru 55MPH winds w/rain going sideways for about 2 hours straight. Hell of a downpour w/out a single drop in the tent. I'm a fan of canvas bow tents!!!

Gotta stay with this.. My wife & I were camped in the hikers/tent campsite at Rocky Mnt NP two septembers ago.. Our REI ( Chinese made) Kingdom 6 ground tent kept us completely dry during three days of torrential downpours.. We broke camp 4 or 5 hours before the evacuation notice.. Point being, not all Chinese products are bad, it depends upon the quality control that each company enforces upon their contracted manufacturers.. Smittybilt has many horror stories associated with their product line. They experienced a fork in their road several years ago, and took the wrong turn.. Hopefully, since I last experienced their product, they have come upon another fork in the road and are choosing the correct turn.. In short, Smitty's heirs were running the company into the ground, chasing after the cheap fast buck.. If that attitude has changed,, ( offering a good product at a fair price, instead of bling bling and PR) , then I may get back on board. Until then I'll continue to pay top dollar for time tested and field proven expedition products..

The blanket statement that all the tents made in China are the same because they are made in China is like saying all American homes are the same because they're made in America.

From my experience there are distinct differences with all the Chinese manufactured tents. Someone hit the nail on the head, it's about stitching and seams and most important......QUALITY CONTROL! That is all over the board between the brands.

It's all about zipper and seam quality...

Who's gonna be the guinea pig?

Sorry to say I guess I am the guinea pig! side by side to the arb, no different! except ZIPPERS(YKK for ARB) and SEAM stitching! same ladders, same or similar padding.....even the fabric seems to be the same. Instruction manual is the same!! maybe different grade of aluminum extrusions? I cant tell. For the price I got it for, i am satisfied! when I get a little more money, I'll try the TJM. ARB is over-priced though! Competition is good and maybe in the future RTTs will generally all come down in price.

Last edited:
Especially considering they are all from China.

Except my Maggiolina was hand made in Italy and the fabric from Germany. My Eezi-Awn 1600 T-Top was hand made in South Africa. So no all tents aren't made in China. :D

Last edited:
Most of the less expensive folding tents are made in the same couple of factories in China, which is why they'll be nearly identical. Not just the materials but the overall design. There are a few companies that push for better zippers and small touches like that, but overall it's the same tent.

To my knowledge the only independent tent makers (making their own products by hand in their own factories) with product available in the US are Eezi-Awn, Howling Moon, Maggiolina, and James Baroud.

And USA made Roost.

How about the Arctic Oven?? USA made I believe.............

I believe smittybuilt has a 5 year protection plan for the tents as well

I just bought a smittybuilt 9500 pound winch for $350 and that included a no questions asked replacement for five years on anything
Cable frays, motor, hook ...anything
I don't use the winch a ton but it's there if I need it and I feel if I can keep a good eye on things should last me a while

I think if your sleeping in crazy harsh conditions a four season tent would work better but for most trips I would think it would be fine
Bringing a good 2 or 3 man tent is good insurance
I picked up a Mountain Hardware 3 season 3 man used at the REI sale for $60 so That goes with me as well
I used to have a 4 man Camping Lab roof top tent but sold it as I want one with the vestibule but always took a small tent just in case

Sorry to say I guess I am the guinea pig! side by side to the arb, no different! except ZIPPERS(YKK for ARB) and SEAM stitching! same ladders, same or similar padding.....even the fabric seems to be the same. Instruction manual is the same!! maybe different grade of aluminum extrusions? I cant tell. For the price I got it for, i am satisfied! when I get a little more money, I'll try the TJM. ARB is over-priced though! Competition is good and maybe in the future RTTs will generally all come down in price.

Very interested in knowing how this experiment goes!! I have been looking at this for the occasional spring/summer/fall trips.

update! I have spent last night in big bear in 22 degree weather with heavy winds....there was no noticeable draft coming in and the platform was pretty darn solid. I was skeptical at first of the platform and if it would hole my 230 lbs body without much drama. Over all it held up pretty solid and note to self....need the ladder extension with a 4" lift and 37" tires....The ladder seems a little bit on the anemic side but only time will tell............

update! I have spent last night in big bear in 22 degree weather with heavy winds....there was no noticeable draft coming in and the platform was pretty darn solid. I was skeptical at first of the platform and if it would hole my 230 lbs body without much drama. Over all it held up pretty solid and note to self....need the ladder extension with a 4" lift and 37" tires....The ladder seems a little bit on the anemic side but only time will tell............

All RTT ladder suck

▼This▼ for a replacement

xtend 750PJPG.JPG

phil where did you find that ladder? how would it be installed to the tent?

Does anyone have anymore experience with the smittybuilt RTT since this was written? Currently I am looking at a smittybuilt RTT model 2783. From what I have read and watched on YouTube it is similar to the Arb rtt.

I have found a member on mud who has a contact selling the smittybuilt for $700 which is half of the arb.

For my application I will be using the tent for a few trips per year usually 1 night 2 max during summer. I also have 2 kids ages 3 and 5 and that is a concern as they are rough. My thought was in a few years they can have their own tent and my wife and I can have our own privacy with the RTT. Not too many bears in the areas we are in but many coyotes and raccoons.

Another thought I had in this tent if we decide we don't like it the $ lost is not as great as the Arb or others out there.

Any opinions or reviews are welcome.

Does anyone have anymore experience with the smittybuilt RTT since this was written? Currently I am looking at a smittybuilt RTT model 2783. From what I have read and watched on YouTube it is similar to the Arb rtt.

I have found a member on mud who has a contact selling the smittybuilt for $700 which is half of the arb.

For my application I will be using the tent for a few trips per year usually 1 night 2 max during summer. I also have 2 kids ages 3 and 5 and that is a concern as they are rough. My thought was in a few years they can have their own tent and my wife and I can have our own privacy with the RTT. Not too many bears in the areas we are in but many coyotes and raccoons.

Another thought I had in this tent if we decide we don't like it the $ lost is not as great as the Arb or others out there.

That from a vendor or a used one sold to you at that price?

The blanket statement that all the tents made in China are the same because they are made in China is like saying all American homes are the same because they're made in America.

From my experience there are distinct differences with all the Chinese manufactured tents. Someone hit the nail on the head, it's about stitching and seams and most important......QUALITY CONTROL! That is all over the board between the brands.
Several years ago there was a move in Chinese electronics manufacturing to start recruit Quality engineers from Japan. There was a dramatic change in quality directly thereafter. Back before ISO there was a saying in the quality movement "Quality is free." Still true.

@the gimpey one I was given a contact by a member on mud a number of an individual that sells them for that. I have had trouble contacting them though. The number is out of FL which I have found in other research that a company that has sold them there for $700. Currently the smittybuilt rtt is 900$ on amazon.

If you want the number PM me and I can pass it on.

@the gimpey one I was given a contact by a member on mud a number of an individual that sells them for that. I have had trouble contacting them though. The number is out of FL which I have found in other research that a company that has sold them there for $700. Currently the smittybuilt rtt is 900$ on amazon.

If you want the number PM me and I can pass it on.
A friend of mine wants one. Just keep us up to date on your progress.

The design of the Smittybuilt is similar to the older ARB Simpson II model tents. The newer Simpson III is quite a bit different, so not really a close comparison IMO. As with just about any "budget" purchase, you get what you pay for. If you know going in that quality will not be the same and possible issues more likely, then take a look. Other options might be more expensive but usually for good reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom