project spare parts.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RAYJON

Get a bigger hammer..
Threads
Well a year ago I was hunting parts for my fj80/fj45 combo and came across this it was a great deal so I bought it.. 73 fj40 with alot of spare parts-- so Its called Spare Parts.. you will also see other peoples spares used as the goal was to see how cheep I could build this...

rays phone 110.JPG

Last edited:
thought I would part it at first but the tub wasn't bad, floors were clean and the rear sill wasn't totally gone.. so after thinking about it put the other project on hold and started on this...

Now for the problems.. and they are long..

Nasty spring over, mini front axle not completed...
jeep steering collum attached with plumbing strap... with a summit wiring harness all hacked
weird ford seats with nasty brackets...
rear spring hangers that have to go...
buggy cut quarters that are hacked and dented..
rear sill needs replaced
has been on its side sometime in the past...
bugger welds on the motor mounts/ spring mounts and other assorted stuff
chevy swap that was never completed...

the good,

straight frame
clean floors
lots of spare parts
clean hardtop/doors even though they are rattle can
no rust other than the sill even the windshield and base are clean
rebuilt 307 chevy never fired with a brand new holley off road carb..( thought it was BS till I pulled it apart,)
4speed trans and transfer..
lunchbox locker still in the box
mini front has a locker in it..
new gas tank-- traded to lelandeod..
spring under front brackets and saginaw box done by someone else than PO
high steer with fj80 tie rods,

Last edited:
ray123113 034.JPG
ray123113 033.JPG
In hunting parts Fallon Dan aka crokar donated a rusty fj60 given I pull the motor and trans... and get rid of the shell...

so thats what we did... and before you fj60 guys blow a gasket you could see daylight thru the frame.. it was rusted bad....

+ free fj60 axles and parts..

the $ from the scrap covered the fuel and trip to the dump for the rest... so no real gain there..

Last edited:
rays phone 155.JPG
next was a trip to Reno Salvage to get rid of what was left of the fj60 and get some new steel...

one sheet of 18ga--
some scrap 2x3 boxed
some 2.5x2.5 for the rear sill
1x1 and 1x3 boxed for other stuff and it was in the drop bin for cheep...

cost 130$

after this I swapped it back spring under to bring it down to a normal height...
stripped the diamond plate that wrapped it and welded up all the holes in the body..

Last edited:
Father in law was here from Iowa last winter so we bent up and built some quarter panels...

here is what I started with..
image-2105869954-jpg.849747

after the first fitting
image-2881029008-jpg.849748

and after welding in

image-4137902833-jpg.851578

made a wood form out of plywood clamped both sides and bent the wheel well into the form, going to use Heep TJ flare, the opening fits the flare..

ohh the half doors were from a pile of stuff Preno was throwing out, another freebe... they are not as nice as they look....

Last edited:
then was the steering collum and the wiring harness...

lost all the crappy stuff put the fj60 collum and wiring harness in all pigtailed out.. still have to weld up all the holes in the dash i wont be using...

20141011_131408-1-jpg.952159

cost free it came out of the fj60 we cut up...

Last edited:
then the steering shaft..

20141011_131907-1-jpg.952161

reused the steering shaft adapted to the fj60 collum and lower u joint..

cost 0 $..

Last edited:
Half price day at pick and pull....

lincoln mark VIII electric fan
crown vic relays for the fan
gm truck power block for firewall..
and a serpentine setup for the sbc... with dual alternators... included the power steering pump and hoses, water pump and all the pulleys..
also got a gm TBI air cleaner with a carb lid..

cost 105$$

img_1188-1-jpg.899671

summit radiator out of the return pile at summit racing 110$ with the lincoln fan

img_1186-1-jpg.895937

and I added some used fenders out of my scrap pile, that were given to me, better than what was there, but still hunting a better set...

Last edited:
next I took the motor out and cut out the crappy motor mounts, motor was stuffed in the firewall even touching on the pass side.... plated the frame and welded them back in further forward..

then went to work on boxing the front and fixing some stuff

1414620185100-jpg.959550

tried to do it like Don at FC fab, it looks cool but its a lot more work/time to make it pretty..

still need to clean up some of the PO weld jobs, need some new grinding disc's going thru a few grinding out what was done before and re-welding ... It will get there...

cost 30$ just time and some and scrap steel... more from the drop bin at Reno Salvage,

Last edited:
somewhere along the way I did some work on the hood, it was bad, I should have found another one but trying to keep this cheep, it was creased from someone not latching it down, had bondo all in the front, and 5 major dents... so a day with the torch hammer and dolly and we got it close, still need to shrink it some on the passenger side, it was stretched and has some oil can effect, but no more crease and it will clean up with a little filler and primer...

Last edited:
Great work. I like that you are keeping the costs under control.

Looking forward to the progress.

Jack

Only way I can do it.. 3 kids and I plan on retiring someday..

Keep working on the 40,

The z car doesn't need anything except a tune, Had the carbs built by a guy in Oregon, he roller bearings the throttle shafts. Other than that a good car cover...

Way to go Ray!!
Funny to think that you figured this would be a few months and done!! Lol!!

I got involved, instead of making a beater i decided to make it nice, Looking back should have left it a ratty 40 and wheeled it... but I'm in to deep now..

Awesome :)

And, Nice cage :D

its vintage..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom