2004 TLC Front Hub needs replacements (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hate to ask, but my LC was in for a tire rotation and check front knock noise (over ruts and washboard roads). The shop told me the front hub has sealed bearings and the entire front hub needs to be replaced because of excessive wear and side to side play. I was under the impression the hub was rebuildable. Am I wrong? 144,000 miles and I purchased 9 months and 12,000 miles ago. If they are right, it this time for an upgrade of equipment? If so, what hubs are recommended? Thanks and I did try to research before posting the question. I have 33" tires and a 2.5 OME suspension kit.

Yes it is rebuildable. Find a different shop.

Here is the link on the front hubs and bearings in the FAQs. They are fully serviceable. However, given that shop lied to you or was ignorant about the vehicle, don't pay any attention to their diagnosis and find a place that can figure out the front knock noise. It may be wheel bearings but it could also be bushings, shocks, etc.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/front-bearing-replacement.35431/

Thanks and that's what I thought. I will stop by and see what the call last night was all about.

Most shops nowadays are use to removing parts that are out of adjustment and tossing them. They will have no understanding of what a Land Cruiser is or how to take care of it. I would either take it to a dealer or a shop that specializes in off-road vehicles.

That's funny about sealed hubs

Just FYI the rear axle does have sealed bearings that need to be pressed in but likely never need replacing. If you want full service replacement wheel bearing kits for the front that include high quality OEM / Japanese Koyo or Timken bearings contact Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters and order his wheel bearing kits. Alternatively the preload may be wrong on the wheel making noise and just needs to be properly adjusted so your bearings may be okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom