brake bleeder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arcteryx

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.cruiseryard.com
I need a brake bleeder, but hear hit/misses on mityvacs. Does anyone have one that they recommend and use repeatedly?

I bought one of the vacuum bleeders and it pulled air around the bleeder, never worked good. So then I made a power bleeder. It works with pressure at the master and blows all the air out of the lines, works good. I use it for my Military trucks. Easy to build out of a bug sprayer.

Same here, made my own pressure bleeder, works awesome. Search the net, there's several sites that tell you how, or you can buy a Motive.

I purchased a pressure bleeder from motive products. It doesn't work so good on my FJ60 master because (1) you have to use the universal top fitting (just a flat gasket) and it doesn't seal very well causing the reservoir to fill up and then it makes a mess when you take to top off and (2) there is a separate hose off the reservoir to the front part of the MC. This started leaking when I pressurized it.

Once installed, I have had good success with speed bleeders.

I was wondering about that, my military trucks have screw on caps, so no problems. We need to figure out a better cap system.

This is my cap for the MC:

BrakeBleeder2.jpg

Made out of a scrap of 3/8" AL plate. Easy to cut, drill, tap, finish off. There's a piece of rubber innertube glued to the bottom to it seals on the reservoir. I've used this thing dozens of times from Cruisers to Corollas and it always works great, never spill a drop.

Those Speed Bleeders are a joke. And vacuum bleeding never works because you end up sucking air around the bleeder threads.

Replace your current bleeder ports with Speed bleeders!!!! 1/4 turn, pump yours brakes until there is no more air bubbles then tighten them back down! They have a one way check valve in them. I can bleed my entire 60 in 10 minutes.

I had speed bleeders and all kind of vacuum pressure bleeders .. what works for me it's the most simplistic approach .. guess KISS principle ..

I took an old valve stem, stripped the rubber off of it. Clamped two pieces of hose to it. Clamp the hose going to the "in" side of valve to bleeder on brakes. Run the other end to a catch bottle. You now have a one way valve. Pump the brakes or clutch, check the reservoir often.

Speed bleeders seem great the first 2 times you use them. They all were toasted the last time I tried to bleed, thought about ordering up some new ones but fool me once...

Get a girl friend, wife, family member, friend or small child and do the "two person" bleeding method. Fast, easy, works all the time nd it keeps you from being an antisocial, obsessive complusive loner.

Get a girl friend, wife, family member, friend or small child and do the "two person" bleeding method. Fast, easy, works all the time nd it keeps you from being an antisocial, obsessive complusive loner.
Hey, I have friends. I just don't like them.

thanks for the reply. the wife and I have bled many a system, but my 80 was being extremely stubborn. Turns out, my LSPV went out on my FZJ and I put on a FJ80 LSPV (drums, which means more pressure in the rear; note to self, there is a difference between the drum and disc LSPV). I couldn't get the fronts bled properly, they were too soft. Hence this thread about the bleeder.

Yesterday, I swapped out the FJ with a FZJ, bled them with Mrs CY and they worked like a charm. I do like the idea of getting a good bleeder, the Motive or DIY ones would be nice! I have used speed bleeders on my Excursion and they worked very well.

I've used speed bleeders and pressure bleeders. My Speed Bleeders starting leaking after repeated opening and closing. I found pressure bleeders messy and hard to keep clean. I've gone back to a glass jar, a piece of tubing, and a binder clip. It's cheap, fast and pretty much foolproof, and no assistant is required.

I have the air compressor driven one of these from Griot's garage:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/multi+fluid+extractor.do

It is well built, resists all common solvents so far, and cleans easy so you can change oil via dip tube one day & do a job you prefer to save fluid the next.
I flat love it for the swap motor BMW oil changes, the oilpan is less than a cigarette pack clearance, I just sip a beer while draining oil.

I have a small vacuum bleeder that I picked up from Harbor Freight on sale for like $15. Has been great the few times I have needed it and worked well. Only gripe I have is that the reservoir it fills is fairly small so you have to empty after a couple of rounds on each wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom