Budget Mountain Bike Recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for a recommendation for a budget mountain bike, new or used. I'd like to stay around $500 ideally.

I'll be using it probably for 25 mile or less trips for exercise and to go to work. Mostly on relatively flat ground on our intercity trails. I'm around 6' so I'm guessing I need around a 19" frame.

Reluctantly, I sold my old trek 4500 when I got into running thinking I wouldn't ride it anymore, but now looking for some variety for my legs. There's just so many bikes out there and on CL, I'm not sure what's junk or not. Thanks.

For something in that range, much quality is going to be hard to find in a new variety, so shoot for neused.

Flat and inner city? I'd shoot for a rigid single speed bike. No need for fancy gears or squishy bits. Keep it simple. You can probably find a nice used single speed for around $500. Try scoring one with 29" wheels.

Used brands to look for that are good single speeds: Kona, Niner, TREK, Specialized, et cetera. Any of the known brands that a bike shop would sell.

Thanks for the reply. I looked around some online last night, there are so many bike brands and models available.

I guess 29er" is the new bike fad. I think I can score a decent used Trek or Gary Fisher for around $500. The bikes really aren't moving on CL based on the posting dates. I'll probably go for gears and a front shock so I can take it off-road if I want.

29" isn't a fad.

Just think of brand that bike shops sell, not what Academy, Dicks, Walmart et cetera sell and you should be fine.

I'd stay away from anything new or used with a front fork. I promise you, you don't need it. You'll just be buying a piece of junk that will require service or replacement.

I live near Pisgah Forest and there are a lot of folks who ride rigid single speed bikes because they want to. You'll get more for your $500 and have a good base bike to put a nice suspension fork on later if you feel you need one and/or your budget increases.

Ok so is there any reason you are looking for a mountain bike for innercity and trail (MUP) riding which primarily seems like commuting?
If you are truly using it only for that reason then I would probably look at getting a used road bike (probably flat bar as those are cheaper) or maybe even a CX (cyclocross) bike. When I had my Kona Jake and was commuting 10+ miles a day I loved that thing (even though it was too small for me).

Agreed that 29er is not a fad, just like 650b/27.5" is not a fad either. They all have their specific uses and one is just more popular at the moment than the other. Check out the classifieds on MTBR and Pinkbike for some good bikes or if you are really adventurous you could build your own bike through parts acquisition.

Simply referring to the 29er thing sounding like some hip new thing when it's basically just 29" wheels/tires. I think when I bought my last trek, 27.5" was what they were pushing.

Looking at mountain bikes with gears & shock fork because that is what I had before and it worked well for a mix of riding. Basically just need something that works well and is decent quality. I think it's only going to be a 20 mile round trip after looking at where I can get on the trail.

I'll check out the Kona brand and those classified websites.

This thread just reminded me of the time Regan and the CIA orchestrated the coup to oust David Lee Roth from Van Halen back in 85'.

Sounds like you are wanting a front shock regardless of suggestions made here, but I will chime in anyway. Being a Texas cyclist I can say we don't need shocks down here. I always love to see all the rockstars riding full suspension super fat tire downhill special's circling around Whitrock lake...on the pavement!

X2 on the cyclocross

I have a warn out old cannondale cyclocross that I picked up for $400 like 12 years ago to play with and have consistently chosen that ride over the others in my stable. Throw a set of knobby 32's and tear it up, rain, snow, dirt, pavement, it doesn't mater. My brifters tanked a few years ago and I slapped on a set of downtube shifters on and it is still my favorite ride. Downside on the cross bike would be rarity here in Texas, much harder to find a good used one of these little jewels than a fisher or other used suspension ride.

I'm looking at both kinds. If I can find a decent solid fork for a good price, I might buy it. I definitely don't need a full suspension bike, but not going to look down my nose at people who own stuff because they want it. I have two vehicles that are overkill 90% of the time, but I like having the features, comfort, etc.

Totally hear you, I own plenty of stuff that most folks think is a total waste of money. In all honesty as long as it gets people riding I don't care what they are sitting on.

Totally hear you, I own plenty of stuff that most folks think is a total waste of money. In all honesty as long as it gets people riding I don't care what they are sitting on.

Agree! And it's usually the consumers that buy in excess of the base Model and buy new products often that keep the manufacturers and the industry going. I'm a bad consumer in that respect, I try to buy used, quality items and keep for a long time.

Agree! And it's usually the consumers that buy in excess of the base Model and buy new products often that keep the manufacturers and the industry going. I'm a bad consumer in that respect, I try to buy used, quality items and keep for a long time.

Guess that makes two of us. Only bought a few things new for my Thumper, everything else was from ebay or the classified on MTBR or PinkBike. I view it kinda like buying a new car, yeah you get that new car smell and get to strut your stuff with your pristine new, low mileage vehicle until you get that first scratch. Then your car looks like everything else out there and you paid out the wazoo for X-months of new smell and chest puffing. LOL

Screw that, I have other things I would rather spend that extra cash on and thus I will focus on "lightly" used items.

Agree that bigger wheels are not a fad, but here to stay. That said, so many people are upgrading, you should be able to find a really nice steel hardtail with a suspension fork for a good price. I really, really, really prefer steel frames. You can find a good one for a good price. Aluminum is hard and will beat you up over time.

any of the older kona steels can be found cheap and unlike most older bikes......had a longer cockpit ( toptube length). alot of the same kona names currently are made in alum. but the 90s -mid 2k were in steel varieties. KHS had some older steel models with nice long toptube geometries. gary fisher had some. marin . gunnars can sometimes be found in the $500 range used (the rockhound is 853 steel) voodoo made some nicer old steel hardtails. jamis dragons of 90s era can sometimes be found in that $500ish range. bontrager race lites and ibis mojos if beat up enough might drop to $500-700 but still have lots of curb apeal.

where are u in texas? which craigs are local ? if nothing is available you can double check with a shop my roommate manages / its a mtn biking non- profit and has a nice rotation of used bikes come thru that get refurbed/sold to fund their kids program. i will ask him what hes got floating around in that size thats nice steel. www.tripsforkids.org

Last edited:
any of the older kona steels can be found cheap and unlike most older bikes......had a longer cockpit ( toptube length). alot of the same kona names currently are made in alum. but the 90s -mid 2k were in steel varieties. KHS had some older steel models with nice long toptube geometries. gary fisher had some. marin . gunnars can sometimes be found in the $500 range used (the rockhound is 853 steel) voodoo made some nicer old steel hardtails. jamis dragons of 90s era can sometimes be found in that $500ish range. bontrager race lites and ibis mojos if beat up enough might drop to $500-700 but still have lots of curb apeal.

where are u in texas? which craigs are local ? if nothing is available you can double check with a shop my roommate manages / its a mtn biking non- profit and has a nice rotation of used bikes come thru that get refurbed/sold to fund their kids program. i will ask him what hes got floating around in that size thats nice steel. www.tripsforkids.org

In the Fort Worth area, still looking. That be great, let me know if you hear of anything nice.

also- if its relatively flat and mainly for excersize and 25mi trips to work......you might look for skinnier wheeled ( faster) options like cross bikes or 700c bikes with wider tires (28-32mm) knobby etc so u can still hit dirt. they would be a ton faster for commuting yet still retain some offroadable durabilty/ grip with a knobby cross or skinny 29er tire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom