Builds My '78 FJ40 "44" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That last pic sure shows a happy dog, and of course a happy bearded one. (from another bearded one, my kids are 27 and have never seen me with a shaven face)

Don

Great news!

nice looking rig ,it could be the photo but the hood does not look aligned right .good luck with it hope it lasts many years

That last pic sure shows a happy dog, and of course a happy bearded one. (from another bearded one, my kids are 27 and have never seen me with a shaven face)

Don

Yeah, Gunner is great fun!! My daughters are both in their 40's, they never notice when I grow a beard, nor do they notice when I shave it off.

After twenty years of shaving, in the Air Force, I started growing a beard periodically and my Wife always complained that I looked younger without it.

But, after several times of shaving it off and her not noticing it was gone, she no longer complains when I quit shaving... wait, maybe she no longer notices when I grow it... hadn't thought of that...

Excellent news, keep trucking!:cheers:

Thanks!! Gunner and I drove almost 600 miles in the last three days and loved every minute of it!! We are very fortunate to have such diverse scenery and so much solitude in Nevada!!

Just get out of Vegas or Reno and make sure you have plenty of fuel..

nice looking rig ,it could be the photo but the hood does not look aligned right .good luck with it hope it lasts many years

Good eye!! It's not the photo, it needs to be aligned - it was on my list, but got dropped somewhere along the way - thanks for reminding me!!

Great tread Danny, it's nice to see you are having so much fun and visit great places.

Nice picture from you and Gunner, only next time to look better try not to stick your tongue out.

:cheers:

Well... I've gone through this thread and found that I have a few updates to make...

44 is in great shape - it runs and drives better than I could ever have hoped!!

I'm at a point that I can maintain it, drive it and enjoy it!!

To get to this point, I recently installed my 22 gal aux tank (with @Downey 's guidance and some answers/insights from other MUDders - thanks all!!). I ran into two issues during the install...

1) the Centroid fuel sender (custom built at E120/F17) wouldn't work with the OEM fuel gauge. This is how it was explained to me: Centroid has changed their sender from a potentiometer-based sender to a digital sender and their digital sender can't handle the pulsing voltage found in the OEM gauge (due to the OEM gauge's built-in voltage regulator - Centroid refunded my money;

2) The first Pollak 42-300 kit included a defective 42-159 (6-port switching valve) - I sent it all back and the replacement was fine. I was going to carry a spare valve, but others have also received defective valves and if I buy a spare, I would have to install it to be sure it works. Instead, I will be sure to carry extra soft fuel line and, if needed, will plumb around the valve in an emergency.

The location of my DPDT Switch and Pollak 6-port Switching Valve was copied from @bsevans - his pictures clearly show their locations. I didn't bother with fitting another fuel door right now, I just wanted to get it installed and use it. I reserve the right to change my mind and re-do this, with a locking door, later.

Here's the @Downey filler neck and gas cap - I removed the passenger gas can carrier and filled the holes (I'll re-do this in the spring, when it's warmer):
IMG_2995.JPG

Since the tank sets next to the exhaust on the driver's side, I wrapped the exhaust with fiberglass wrap and sprayed several coats of DEI HT Silicone Coating. I also cut a heat shield from the heat shield I removed from the bottom of the tub and installed it between the tank and the exhaust.

The tank and skid plate are not beveled at the rear and set almost evenly with the spring hangers - some MUDders expressed concern regarding departure angle - I thought about it and decided that, since I'm not a rockcrawler and I have no intention of being really rough with 44, this tank will serve my needs perfectly:

Once I add my hitch back, the tank will set about an inch or two lower than the hitch - not the best pictures...:
IMG_2992.JPG

IMG_2991.JPG

The last (and one of the best) thing I did was install a $7 suicide knob - what an great enhancement to my power steering!! It's so much easier to drive off road, with my left hand using the knob and my right hand on the gear shift and hand throttle!!
IMG_2994.JPG

So, now... just drive and enjoy it - with Gunner!!

'Later', I will strip out the mats and insulate the firewall and floor, as well as the top - still trying to decide just how I want to do this.

Caveat... I really expected to feel the Nevada heat through the top (especially with no headliner) - I am amazed that I have never felt a bit of heat through the top - kudos to Toyota for their fiberglass roof cap - maybe that is why they went with fiberglass...

Oh, I also stuck my 'FOURTYFOR' badge on the back - couldn't get '44' (no numbers) or 'FORTYFOUR' (8chars max) - so, 44's alias is FOURTYFOR.
IMG_3684.jpeg

shelfboy, I actually forgot this yet again... but, spent a couple of hours working on it yesterday - better?

IMG_3004.JPG

I like to be prepared... so, I (may have said this before...) wired 44 so it can be towed (the existent wiring was all screwed up). The four holes in the front bumper (see pic above) are for mounting the tow bar. I don't plan on towing it, but if I ever break down in the middle of no where and can't get going again, I will notify my WIfe, via my SPOT Messenger and she will drive the Tundra to the GPS coordinates. I keep the tow bar in the back of the Tundra. I can mount it and tow it home.

I have towing, via a couple of policies... but, most only tow from roads that are on the map.

I also re-tested all this after installing my aux tank - all works.

Last edited:
This is a great thread, and I have really enjoyed reading it. Thanks much for reminding us why we originally wanted FJ40's.

Thanks Louis! 44 has made retirement SO much more enjoyable! Don't misunderstand, retirement was already great - but working through 44's issues has been great fun and going places and seeing things that Gunner and I would not have otherwise gone and seen... priceless!!

I have been less than impressed with the dismal light provided by the dome light. It's not a light if you have to strike a match to see it!!

So, today, I took the dome light lens off to clean it and cleaned a hole in it - so, rather than put it back I decided to follow in the footsteps of my foreMUDders...

I removed the dome light completely (and stowed it away with the emissions stuff, in the event I need any of it down the road) and replaced it with a rocker switch. I then extended the hot wire around the two sides and back of 44 and placed an LED Strip at three strategic locations and grounded each strip on one of the handy bolts.

Now, the flick of the rocker and I have enough light to actually find whatever I lost.

Not great pictures, but I did my best... Here's the rocker switch
image.jpg

Strip over Driver's seat
image.jpg

Strip over passenger's seat
image.jpg

Strip over back door
image.jpg

Strip over back door provides an abundance of light - and I have that battery powered dome light as well.
image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom