Anyone seen/used this? Uncrate grill (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wagonteeth

Hippoverde
Threads
very cool... did you figure out how it holds on? And what's that website about...all kinds of stuff. Of course I'm guilty of a cursory look.

I just googled the grill and thought Uncrate carried it, until searching a bit further and finding that Frontrunner makes it. It looks like a strap goes round the tire to secure it in place. should be too hard to make a more secure (theft proof) securing method.

Uncrate.com is a website of bad ass stuff. Usually right when a product comes out or before it comes out Uncrate will have it up on their website.

So, you use it and it gets covered in oil/grease/soot etc. Then you drive down the dirt road/muddy road with it hanging on the back of your 4wd and it'll still be 'clean'??

Am I missing something? Seems daft.

I just have a 3/8" section of plate steel with 4 legs, instant BBQ plate for the bush and thick enough to spread the heat. Old canvas bag so I can just toss into the back of the 4wd. Used the same unit for 20+ years.

bbq2.jpg

cheers,
george.

^ same here (when wood burning is allowed); ~ $20 @ walmart. And most of us have a trash bag that hangs from the spare...

Looks like about $10.00 worth of material.

george_tlc, you have pictures of the legs and dimensions on that grill of yours? thx

Good point about it getting dirty. Looks cool on the tire, but it's clean too. At least it'll break down so you could carry it inside, but then it's expensive if a piece of plate will do the same thing and carry the same way. Maybe I'll pick up a 3/8" plate and make a bracket to allow a leg to mount to it that can be driven into the ground

george_tlc, you have pictures of the legs and dimensions on that grill of yours? thx

Nope, sorry, it's back in oz and I'm in the US now :)

It's just some scrap 3/8" steel plate and 4 legs welded on. A mate has a similar setup but 4 welded nuts to screw 4 long bolts in as feet - the problem with that is losing the bolts...

I'm actually looking at a new design (after 20+ years) so that the legs fold flat using 2 long 3/8" rods bent to form folding legs. I'll weld 4 3/8" ID tubes to the bottom of the plate to catch the rod ends and cut to form limit stops (maybe at 120 deg). Not rocket science :)

legs.jpg

cheers,
george.

So, you use it and it gets covered in oil/grease/soot etc. Then you drive down the dirt road/muddy road with it hanging on the back of your 4wd and it'll still be 'clean'??

Am I missing something? Seems daft.

I just have a 3/8" section of plate steel with 4 legs, instant BBQ plate for the bush and thick enough to spread the heat. Old canvas bag so I can just toss into the back of the 4wd. Used the same unit for 20+ years.

bbq2.jpg

cheers,
george.
nothing like warm beer and eggs for breky

Warm beer - eeek! No chance of that - ARB fridge set to -5C ensures the beer is COLD :)

Those are empty cans from the previous evening...

cheers,
george.

I have a cheap little tripod set up with a grill from a charcoal grill. It packs down easily, can be set up on uneven ground while keeping the food from rolling/sliding, and is adjustable height. It's been working for me for the last 6-7 years with no issues. We did lose the grill surface off the back of an ATV on a trip once. We headed to the local hardware store and had a fresh new one in - hand for a few bucks. Can't beat that!

Warm beer - eeek! No chance of that - ARB fridge set to -5C ensures the beer is COLD :)

Those are empty cans from the previous evening...

cheers,
george.

as nice as a fridge would be, not needing my beers to be cold must be saving me a ton of dough. (jk; I'm green with envy- or is that just warm beer face?)

I used the Front Runner spare tire mount grill for the first time a few weeks ago. Not sure what the big deal is about the dirt. I guess I have the habit of wiping down my cookware before using it and cleaning after. Worked as expected and stored itself behind my Trasharoo no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom