Builds What's a Parts Guy to Do?? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That black fingernail looks like it absorbed a bit too much kinetic energy a couple of weeks ago.

Ouch!

:doh:

New crankshaft pulley went on tonight. 144ft/lbs for the nut. 145 was good enough for me.

image.jpg

Looks very nice and new. :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

And got that damn oil pan on.

image.jpg

image.jpg

And after a visit with St. Barnadus, head gasket and head decided to join the party.

:)

Correct HG Part Number for my iteration:

image.jpg

On the block as requested. Notice the overhang of the HG goes to the back meaning you really can only install it one way. It is very important, of course, to make sure the #4 rocker arm support is open since this is the oiling passage.

image.jpg

Notice the way the HG lays on the block and around the cylinders.

image.jpg

And the head on safely where it properly belongs in its mechanistic and simple world.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
For some reason, I was short 3 head bolts. As such, I just installed the other twelve finger tight. 90910-02050 is the correct head bolt part number from 1/1975 forward. I have found no other references for the 2F of any iteration.

I'm going to pick up the other 3 on Friday along with plugs and wires: plugs will be OEM correctly gapped Denso's (90919-01065) and the wires will be the correctly date stamped (2014) OEM Yazaki wire set (90919-21325).

Each head bolt got a bit of 20w50 on the threads and on the bolt head flange per the FSM instructions.

Should of scuff sanded and spray over repainted that oil pan.
The factory paint sucks.
Carry on young padewan.

I spy a PS bracket laying on the floor.
There are 2 ways to install that:
1. install bracket to block, install pump to bracket, bolt manifolds to head.
2. bolt manifold to head, bolt PS pump into bracket, install loaded bracket to engine block.

There is one way it won't go together: install bracket, install manifolds, install pump.

Hope this saves you a moment of frustration.
Carry on....

Hey Onur,
Does part # 90919-01065 just translate to a standard Denso W14EXR-U ?

I would have bet that you would have gone with an ultra cool early FJ60 (Hand Crank Provisioned) harmonic balancer bolt

The claw nut disappeared in 7/80, so theoretically never made it onto FJ60. What's weird is the hole for the starter crank is in the lower valence on all FJ60, but the radiator is in the way, and there is no claw nut. My personal theory (never looked it up) :idea: is that some non-US trucks without AC prep have a smaller radiator, allowing the crank handle to get through the hole. But still no claw nut...:hmm:

2. bolt manifold to head, bolt PS pump into bracket, install loaded bracket to engine block.

There is one way it won't go together: install bracket, install manifolds, install pump.

Carry on....

Indeed Jim. It's definitely a pinch with the bracket and manifold.

#2 will be my preferred method to install (hopefully today!!)

Last edited:
Hey Onur,
Does part # 90919-01065 just translate to a standard Denso W14EXR-U ?

I would have bet that you would have gone with an ultra cool early FJ60 (Hand Crank Provisioned) harmonic balancer bolt

That's right Peter. You can get the Denso branded part based on the above.

That said, the Toyota ones are stupid cheap. Like cheaper than a Starbucks coffee cheap. :lol:

A view that I can keep coming home to always.....

IMG_6690.JPG

Pushrods and their respective ends. Those will be installed today along with the head bolts, spark plugs, fuel pump, PS pump, oil filter housing and oil cooler.

IMG_6678.JPG

IMG_6681.JPG

IMG_6680.JPG

Carry on....
Sounds like experience talking there. :bounce:

A view that I can keep coming home to always.....

View attachment 998716

Pushrods and their respective ends. Those will be installed today along with the head bolts, spark plugs, fuel pump, PS pump, oil filter housing and oil cooler.

View attachment 998717

View attachment 998718

View attachment 998719
Hey beno, do the stickers on the rear side windows ever get in the way of vision? One of the things I REALLY like about my FJ60 is the fact that the A,B and C pillars are very slim making seeing all around you very easy. When I drive other more modern vehicles I always have to check my corners twice, my wife's A pillar on her Chrysler Town & Country has obscured a car coming down the road on my right quit a few times and caused some panic braking. Forget backing it up, the C pillars could obscure a building with that minivan.

LOVE the pics, even though I won't do a 2F again, it is nice to see someone keeping it alive. Also great to see the "certificates" of effort too - ie bruised fingers

dougbert

Got a bit more done last night....

Head bolts in and torqued. FSM calls for 97ft/lbs... I just rounded up a bit to 100 and called it good.

IMG_6692.JPG

IMG_6693.JPG

Then the pushrods went in. Used some moly lube on both ends and wiped down the shafts with some 20w50 on a rag.

IMG_6694.JPG

IMG_6695.JPG

And we got the new oil dipstick tube in. I like the part number label on it and just left it there. I put a bit of red locktite on the inserted portion to keep it in place since it is pressed in.

IMG_6702.JPG

Next, got the water pump attached. Gasket is separate. Gasket was placed onto the pump with a bit of FIPG and then a bit of FIPG put on the block side--not much though. New bolts were also used for the block to water pump connection.

IMG_6704.JPG

Aftermarket Aisin water pumps will have the TEQ ground off of the housing. That is an anathema to me and NOT acceptable. ;)

IMG_6705.JPG

Gasket and pump:

IMG_6706.JPG

New bolts w/wave washers:

IMG_6708.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom