Builds SLOW 71 (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ron, looks good. Bet you cant wait to drive them little TITS off the tires.

Thanks Bob.
Bob,

I'm going to wear them off, just pushing the wagon back and forth in the shop!
niiice! those shackles look much better, the springs will settle a bit and give you a perfect angle; even if they don't settle much, you're worlds better than either previous placement. I remember moving my rear spring hangers back when I put the 4" lift springs on because the pre-broke-in springs had the drive shaft fully collapsed at ride height and the tires nipping at the leading edge of the rear wheel wells. I went 1" back, but as the springs settled, 3/4" would have been better...you can't really tell till they break in; every case will be different. always compromising...the idea of driving the rig onto the new springs before taking off the old springs is a grand notion I will always remember to do that before swapping any new spring in again...

I'm trying to finish some small thorns in my side and need your help. Working on the EVAP. system and let's just say it's a custom job. :) I have a LR tank with five vent nipples on the one side plus the filler neck. I'd like to use just one of the vapor separators, as 71's have two, one on each side of the body. The separators have three vent nipples in them, one on top and two on bottom. Pictures to follow, so hang in there. The filler neck. mounted on the body has two vent nipples off of it. I also have a charcoal canister up front.

So, I know one vent line from the filler neck will go to the tank and the vent on top of the separator will go to the canister, but can I combine some the vent lines from the tank, that go to the separator? I've got too many vents! Also, can I combine the two vent lines from the filler neck and run them back to the tank and do I need any check valves in the mix?

Any input will help.

Another question...Doesn't the newer pigs have only one separator with four nipples on it?

IMG_2682.JPG

IMG_2685.JPG

Last edited:
Pablo,

I was reading some of your earlier posts on this subject and learning a little. Please add any photos that you feel will help clarify.

Thanks!

alright, the ports on the bottom of the separator go to the ports at the left side of tank. the early one is 2 separators which each take 2 lines from the tank, that later ones had both separators built into one unit ao all 4 lines from tank go to all 4 lines on base of separator.;..the filler neck vents go to the tanks filler neck ports- they are larger than the vapor ports. the top line from the separators go to the canister. I thin k the early units have tees for the filler vent and the canister lines from the top of the separators- I BELIEVE...wait for confirmation on that... don't forget the check valve between the top of the separator and the purge canister...

Thank you Lambcrusher.

So, do you think I could connect the two filler neck vents into one line, to the tank? I'll put an ad out for the newer style separator with four nipples, as I'm using the space on the other side where the second sep. goes. I was thinking of teeing the four vents into two, but if I can get a newer style, that's the way to go.

Pablo,

I was reading some of your earlier posts on this subject and learning a little. Please add any photos that you feel will help clarify.

Thanks!

Well it looks like I only got one pic of the vapor separator, the rest of the pics were of the check valve that cracked, and then allowed the foul gasoline odors into the passenger compartment. That made for a pretty rough family vacation...

But you can see my '74 accepts the 4 vapor lines from the tank, and then the disconnected port up top connects to the charcoal can via the check valve.

MVC-268F.JPG
MVC-267F.JPG

I got my check valve from SOR used, but I have thought that a check valve a specif value could be used instead, just not sure of the specific value...maybe from a later cruiser or even minitruck at the Jyard? Happy ThanksGivings day!!! dont see why a tee in the vent could be bad;....tie them together and also have a look at BS evans custom vapor separator...it is basically a can with ports that flush out to the bottom of the can- just as there are 4 ports at the base of a later OEM spearator; and a port at the top with a hose to a check valve- just as the OEM...it is an open can on the inside, made of billet aluminium and round hollow stock and some nipples... the idea is under pressure (check valve) the vapor will condense into fluid as it cools down in the can; the remaining vapor is drawn into the charcoal canister and intake via the outer canister vacuum connections, and the re-fluidized gasohol returns to the tank thru the same lines the vapors come from...the filler neck vent line...there must be 2 vent ports on a stock early tank- that I'm NOT familiar with- but I would imagine they would just serve the same purpose and had been turned into one line in later models by the designers of the original system. if your tank only has one of the ports sized to the vent line hoses, then there is no problem teeing them together....think of it as the condensing end of a still...

Pablo,

Did you replace the check valve. If so, with aftermarket or oem.

I couldn't see any down side to just replacing w/ a double-ended brass nipple. It has been fine since...

I think the gas vapors may have made the plastic brittle over 4 decades.

Lambcrusher,

Thanks for reassuring my thoughts on this. This whole system is just to handle vapor. I'll try it with what I have and change as needed. Still need to get a check valve.

Now, how about some pictures, since we aren't doing much today. Got the side vents in permanently and the tail light lenses. That new rubber around the tail lights was a pain to get set. Working on all the different hoses, power steering and cooler, rad., a/c and heater, fuel vapor lines...a lot of hoses!

All the lights were disassembled and the housings were cadmium plated. Chrome was redone to add some bling! New tail light lenses from Owens Export.

Slow and steady!

IMG_2689.JPG

IMG_2686.JPG

IMG_2679.JPG

IMG_2688.JPG

Hi Ron, you should replace the name of your thread SLOW71 with SLOW and BEAUTIFUL 71.

Pascal

As always thanks for my fix on pictures!

I have been having ugly odors in the cab for a while and I think that I am going to explore all those lines that you have talking about above. That has to be where they are coming from!

Thanks for the hopeful fix in the near future.

Lambcrusher,

That new rubber around the tail lights was a pain to get set.

New tail light lenses from Owens Export.

Those rubbers are difficult to set, indeed!

How did you order from Steve? I recently contacted and told him that the grille marker light project has gone on too long w/ 0 updates.
I asked him to send them back to me, I just don't want them to go forgotten...

Pablo,

I was working with Steve on the grille light gaskets and he said he was getting the lenses made and mentioned you. He then talked about the tail light lenses, he was having made, so I bought a couple sets.

On the grille lights, he had to look for another manufacturer and it would take a while longer. Haven't heard from him since.

I agree, but I'm really not ready for the lenses anyway, so let's give him some time. Thanks for staying on top of this and with some luck we'll have a nice product to share.

Thanks pascal,

I've always believed in Function over Form, but I try to make it eye appealing along the way. At least in our eyes, not many out there that think a pig is beautiful!

Chirstiaan,

All those vent lines and fuel hose are quite the headache. I should have welded all the holes shut and started over. Finding the right size hose is one thing, but getting it to fit the holes is another, not to mention needing to find the right size grommets. Always something new!

While underneath the wagon, I spied a crimp in the rear air locker line. Looking closer, the air line and the fuel line were completely flattened.:bang: Seems when they straightened the frame, they must have clamped down there, so add those to the list. Doing the Landcruiser shuffle, 3 steps forward and two steps back.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom