Best cruise control for FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody installed cruise control into an FJ40? What brand? How is it working out?
Thanks.

I must admit , in all the years I've been reading MUD I have never once heard that question asked - good one .
First guess , most would recommend a brick and an upgraded seatbelt - other than that there are aftermarket units that can be used with manual trans setups . Trick is how it's tied into the brake switch and an additional clutch switch would be needed .
Sarge

Here's what I have...... since 2002 and not one problem:
Audio Vox CCS-100 Cruise Control

Back in the day it was $110. Very, very nice. Holds speed constant, disengages like it is supposed to. My son-in-law had one on his Jeep and had a similar experience.

Best wishes.....

Im gonna be trying the hillbilly cruise when my 40 is done, only off road mind you. I threw a hand throttle in it from a mine cruiser and made it work, not the safest on road but should work mint in the dirt.

D

Take a look at Rostra. They were the OEM for GM for many years (maybe others) and sell a universal kit: 250-1223. Their cruise controls are electronic and the CC module can be configured for different pulse per mile (or km) speed sensors including a magnetic driveline pickup which they sell too.

I used their wireless control switch 250-1483 with a CC module from a late 80s to early 90s GM truck. I'm running a 5.7L TBI with VSS and it wired/connected fairly easy. For an older carbed vehicle without existing VSS their universal kit and a driveline speed sensor should work fine.

CC is not for everyone but for my truck which sees a fair bit of highway use cruising to the desert and back it's been a good mod. I should have posted a howto thread on it a long time ago but never got around to it.

Hand throttle--like Darwink1 said--it won't disengage when you step on the brake, but a little flick of the wrist drops it out--Claudia has links of the install--it's all mechanical, so no electronic failures to contend with.

hand trottle1.jpg

Your right foot! 40's are meant to be driven :beer:

I found that there is a spot between the gas pedal and the transmission hump where I can sort of wedge my right foot and it will keep the throttle consistent. It has worked well enough that in 14 years of owning my 'Cruiser, I've never really looked into putting in something electronic.

I found that there is a spot between the gas pedal and the transmission hump where I can sort of wedge my right foot and it will keep the throttle consistent. It has worked well enough that in 14 years of owning my 'Cruiser, I've never really looked into putting in something electronic.

That's what I do too, but on the 700-mile days I've done, it sure would have been nice to have a cruise control.

Canadian market Fj40s and some diesel 40s came stock with a manual throttle control. Factory "cruise" which allows you to take your foot off the throttle on the straightaways.

X? Hand Throttle - great off road - great on road - especially on those long straight Nevada roads that go on forever, with nary another vehicle in sight!! Best mod I've done thus far!!

View attachment 998642

Can you post a pic of the carb connection Danny?

I've got a hand throttle like pngunme, but mine is a bike brake lever connected to the gas pedal. Like a deadman switch, if you let go, it let's off the accelerator. When adjusted correctly, full throttle of the hand throttle is right about freeway cruising speed.

And you hold this lever constantly when in use? How do you steer and drink your beer? :beer:

@myquestoyota

As Eddy said, his has the deadman feature... mine does NOT... I up the speed by pulling up on the lever, I down the speed by pushing down on the lever.

Here are the pics

Hand Throttle.JPG

You can see the cable coming out of the firewall, running over the valve cover and terminating at the bellcrank
HandThrottle (1).jpg

This is simply a pair of 'joined' electrical ring terminals - one fastened to an existent threaded hole in the valve cover, the other bent to form a simple 'guide' to keep the cable in place.
HandThrottle (2).jpg

This is the bracket (that came with the kit) attached at a second unused threaded hole in the valve cover
HandThrottle (5).jpg

This is the attachment point at the bellcrank - I looped it thru the hole in the bellcrank and doubled back to fasten it to itself.
HandThrottle (4).jpg

To remove the valve cover, I disconnect the cable at the bellcrank and unscrew the two bolts on the valve cover. Easy to disconnect and easy to re-connect.

hth

Cool, thanks for the pics. I think I have the proper gas pedal that would allow me to use that instead but wanted to see yours also. I also like the shift mounted one and thought it might look hinkey but yours looks pretty clean. But if I go to the gas pedal a dash version would probably be the straightest shot. Thanks again for the pictures, that makes a lot of sense. Not so worried about the deadman feature as pushing the clutch pretty much takes a running engine out of the equation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom