Best garrage welder? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
I have been thinking about getting a wire feed welder for the garage. I have a few questions about what size and pros and cons of different wire/gas set ups and also some safety precautions for the garage. I have been around welding alot, but have never owned a welder and dont know much about them yet. Here are a few questions:

- Welder size
- brand
- flux core or gas?

Like i said im fairly new to this, so i dont know much about welders themselves.
Thanks guys

Last edited:
I recently purchased a miller 211 and love it.
Dual voltage so I can bring it to my construction sites and run it off 110/flux core If needed. Small and portable.

220 in my garage for home use with gas.

It ran about $1200 from my local welding supply but you can snag it from cyber weld for $1100 and free shipping. I did the local thing to support my neighbors and if there is repair issues I can just bring it in.

I think the miller 180 is about 8-$900 and is about the same power

if you have 220 in the garage and don't plan on being portable the 180 is a good model

I looked on Craigslist for months trying to find a decent used one to no avail. If your in a big city you should Be able to find a decent used one.

I've heard you can get lease returns for about 2/3 the cost of new for refurbished models

Look in the welders thread, lots of solid opinions from real welders not a noob like myself. I was tired of being a mooch and using buddies shops, wire and supplies. Not that they cared, but.......

https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?threads/The-welders-thread.818508/

I think the 180 has a $250 rebate going right now while the 211 only had a $100 rebate on accessories

Last edited:
For a budget welder, I have an Eastwood brand 240v welder. I think it's a 180amp model. I've had it for 3-4 years now and it's been excellent. There's been a few minor issues - like the first gas regulator guage wasn't functioning - sent me a new one right away. Welds great. Quality seems high - it's a lot closer to a Miller than the off-brand 180amp machines like the Northern tool or HF stuff. (30% duty cycle - cheap ones are usually 15% or so). My parents own a metal fab shop so I've use a lot of different welders, and I still think this is a good value.

Don't think that a small physical size will save any shop space. You still need a cart and a bottle, so if you find a good deal on a larger 250 amp size welder, it will already come with casters and you won't have to buy a cart.

Another MIllermatic 211 happy owner here .. for in shop welding with gas or outside with fluxcore .. has been always a good machine for the MIG flavor.

Thanks for the replies.
So what else is there that i need to think about? I know that i might need to get the power changed for the garage. Or is there a way to avoid that? What is the biggest size machine i can run on the power i have now?

Hey guys,
I have been thinking about getting a wire feed welder for the garage. I have a few questions about what size and pros and cons of different wire/gas set ups and also some safety precautions for the garage. I have been around welding alot, but have never owned a welder and dont know much about them yet. Here are a few questions:

- Welder size
- brand
- flux core or gas?

Like i said im fairly new to this, so i dont know much about welders themselves.
Thanks guys

To properly answer that.... What do you plan on doing?

Light fabrication? Less than 1/4" steel? Aluminum??

I have had, and used quite a few wire feed welders, and if you are just looking for light steel fabrication, I highly recommend the entry level "Real Gear 140". Inexpensive and will do what you need, so long as you are not welding 3/4" steel in one pass. Little machine, but I have successfully welded some seriously thick stuff with it (with a bit of pre-heat) to make a thumb for my backhoe, a full on snow plow mount for my 4Runner and tons of frame repair/mod on my FJ40. Still going strong.

I am rebuilding my trailer. So i will be welding on the frame, axle, tub. So its all about 1/4. All steel. I think a 180 will do fine. I just need ti do a little more research before i decide

Im leaning towards the Millermatic 211. Is there any other welders i should check out before i decide?

There are plenty around the same range ( amp range ) several brands, and it would depends on what you want, stick to the top brands or try new ones ( cheaper ).

You will find that you can do plenty with a 110V 15A welder, and that the cheaper brands (like Real Gear) will do just as much welding for 1/2-1/4 the cost of the bigger brands, such as Miller and Lincoln. I own a big (280Amp 100%duty cycle) miller welder, it has been sitting in the corner for 3 years un-touched, while I have used my little Real Gear to do everything I need.

Another mm211 vote. The auto set feature is helpful.

That Miller211 is a solid machine, I have a Lincoln 140 that I have been happy with, but I ran up against its limits pretty quickly.

I got a Hobart 180 Handler (220V) that has not had one issue in all the years I have had it. At time time, the sales rep at Linde recommended it over the Miller equivalent because of cost, and the fact that I told him I would only be using it occasionally.

Hi all,

I also have a Hobart Handler 230V welder that has been great. I bought it directly from Hobart as a factory refurbished unit for about $200 less that the regular retail price.

Good luck,

Alan

Talk about welding I just got a lincoln 125 flux core suppose to do fabrication ended up building some hog traps w/welder doing great so far. No real issues so far just flash burns. welder in training/trainer in welding lol. just getting use to machine but so far great very flexible especially since mostly welding outdoors no need for gas though kinda smokey. so far done exhaust, stainless header repair, wifes ls400 exhaust cat delete, and couple hog traps. great all around tool for home, ranch emergency quik set up and go. planing to do my extention and storage/garage/mancave slash hunting and thingamagiger place to be. but everyone has ther own preference mine satisfies me at the moment well invested $$$. have fun andbe safe welding. and happy holidays from Guam Where America's Day Begins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom