80 horn issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LS1FJ40

SILVER Star
Threads
I've looked and couldn't find anything on anyone having problems with their horn not working. I have power to the relay. The relay is good (verified by buying a new relay). Horn works when I jump it at the relay. Should I have power at the connection behind the horn pad? Is it possible that the horn pad is bad? Thanks.

For the record, it's really nice checking these little things off my list of stuff to fix on my 80. I've checked off about 20 little things on her in the past few weeks. Amazing how easy some things are and how great it feels to have high speed on my blower and working brake lights. :)

Make sure you have a good ground at the horns. BTW, one of my first mods was to replace the wimpy sounding stk ones with a set from a Volvo.

Yeah, I thought maybe the horn was wearing out (intermittently working) so I purchased a new, non-wimpy horn. Hooked it up, nothing. Double checked the ground, tried to new ground, still nothing. Took the horn cover off the steering wheel and the wire and connection were good. Used a jumper wire at the relay and plug and it honked (scared the crap out of me!). Checked the relay and it clicks when I used a fused jumper. So it's somewhere between the relay plug in the engine and the horn button.

it could be the switch in the horn pad. you might try taking it apart and cleaning it.

That's what I'm wondering (switch in the horn pad). Going to work on it today. I don't really want to mess with the wiring over a horn. I'd just run new wiring if that ends up being it.

Take off the steering wheel and replace the horn contact plate. It's brass color and wear down over time. Easy to replace and not $$$

I tried cleaning the contact plate. There was very minor corrosion. That didn't work. I hooked up my continuity tester and traced the wire. I lose it somewhere in the engine compartment. Could I splice in to the switched wire and run a new wire? Or maybe I'll go with a push button on the dash? :)

The problem is that they wear down so it gets to a point where the pin won't reach the contact. Is your able to reach? It should be part # 84312-12040 is you have a 91-96.

I took the metal cap off of an AGC fuse (just had to heat it up and pull it off) and put it over the contact pin.

Others have used a spent 0.22 shell casing.

Also a good idea to clean up the area and grease it up while you're in there.

So I happened to have a few .22 shell casings laying around (actually my son did). So I put that on there. Bam. Horn is working! It's the little things. Thanks for your guys' help! Here are a before and after pic for whoever comes across this later. Look about 1.5" to the top left of the steering bolt.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1417114682.289029.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1417114693.016968.jpg

I had the same issue. I think the relay had a bad connection at the fuse box. It was either loose or dirty. I made sure it pushed down hard into the receiving end. Now my horn works. I broke the plastic steering column cover while I was diagnosing the problem. So my cheap horn fix is now going to cost $80 plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom