A440F Rebuild Cost (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1989 Fj62 A440F transmission stopped upshifting past 2nd gear after a 60 some mile drive I made. Took it to a local transmission shop (Transmasters here in Encinitas, CA), They say the transmission needs to be rebuilt and just quoted me $4500 to do so.

$4500 .... what?! Am I crazy or does that seem crazy?

The shop also disagreed with me when I mentioned I felt like the transmission could benefit from an additional tranny cooler.

Can anyone weigh in with what you have paid for an A440F rebuild?

Thanks!

Does it seem like it is hanging on 2nd and won't upshift, or does it seem like it is shifting out of 2nd, but not engaging 3rd, and revving like it's in neutral?

If the former, two possibilities pop into my (non expert) mind.

1) Could your transfer be in low range? (sounds stupid, but I've forgotten I'm in low a couple times when I've headed out onto the road).

2) Your governor circuit could be gummed up / blocked. The governor pressure is basically a hydraulic proxy for speed, and is one of the inputs used in the valve body to dictate what gear is selected. There is a procedure we often refer to as the "party trick" that shocks the governor circuit and can loosen crap that is blocking it. It involves getting up to speed, then throwing the selector into park for a couple seconds (the park pawl won't engage at speed, it just buzzes a bit), then back to drive.

And yes, and aux tranny cooler is a very good idea in the 62.

Had mine rebuilt for $2483.97 which included a new torque converter in 2013. Only regret was not getting the transfer rebuilt at the same time, then realizing later I was getting gear oil migration into the tranny. A transfer case rebuild later, all is well.

Last edited:
Mine was around 5000 about 10 years ago, I have no idea if they rebuilt T-Case but I assume they did.

Now I'm swapping for manual so I'll have a rebuilt a440f for sale.

I was once quoted about 7000 AUD by a shop in Australia. That included the transfer case too. As well as the upgraded a440f parts.
Based on that, 4500 seems a bit steep.

I think the a440f should always have a separate cooler.

Thanks for the info fellas!

"Does it seem like it is hanging on 2nd and won't upshift, or does it seem like it is shifting out of 2nd, but not engaging 3rd, and revving like it's in neutral?"

RockDoc ... its the latter. After 2nd its revving like it's in neutral.

Another good question to ask might be "How much can I save by getting a good used A440F from the mud classifieds rather than having this one rebuilt?". With the popularity of diesel/V8 swaps there should be a few floating around. I would think you could get a good unit for 1/10 of the $$ you are talking for a rebuild.

I don't know my California geography, but one of the first people I would check with is Georg (orangeFJ45 I believe is his mud handle). He runs Valley Hybrids in Stockton(?) and specializes in engine swaps and geartrain concerns in cruisers. Good honest guy too.

A bump for Georg for sure,he got some major stash in his storage. It's about 433 miles from Encinitas to Stockton.LOL

How about trying to flush all that dirty fluid from your tranny and drop the pan and see if any metal debris collected on the magnets.just my 2 pennies.

Had similar issues many moons ago it was my Kick Down Cable that was all corroded and wouldn't allow my transmission to shift properly
wasn't expensive, but was a pain to replace.

Speaking for myself, $5k (rounded) is plenty of motivation to spend LOTS of time chasing down other solutions. I'd start with a drain and refill after trying "Rodney's party trick", then hunt down a low-mileage used trans here on Mud. Thirdly, I'd go for the manual trans H55f) swap for about $2500.
An auxiliary trans cooler is hard to argue against...perhaps they are being specific in rightly saying the cooler won't fix your slipping issue?

I'm with Wile...I'd go H55f if MUD can't help you fix it yourself...

EDIT: ...but that is just an opinion, so I guess it really doesn't help you much in the pricing analysis info that you are looking for...and a biased opinion, too, since I prefer standard transmissions to automatic on 4WD...

Last edited:
http://westcoastcruisers.com/transfer.php

Also, he's a long haul from you, but Georg in Stockton is a guru with these trannys. (OrangeFJ45 on MUD). If you're gonna have it rebuilt, have a guy who's familiar with these do it, or at least, sell you one.

As a data point, is a DIY tranny rebuild an unreasonable approach? Assume there is a rebuild kit and the FSM looks pretty detailed. Special tools and pullers may be an obstacle. Just wondering.

Last edited:
Welcome to the a440f crossroads... Which path will you take? :poof:

I would definitely try the cheaper solutions mentioned previously while determining your long term strategy with the vehicle - primarily how much modding/swapping are you willing to do because the h55f is a very tempting option. $4500 isn't much to go on though if you go the rebuild route - shop reputation/experience, warranty, etc are important and add 'value'. Who wants a rebuild (regardless of cost) that kept going back for adjustments/troubleshooting - not I.

When I was at the crossroads I purchased direct from Wholesale Automatics in April 2007 after deciding to stay OEM and learning Rodney was the messiah of the slushbox. Cost ran ~$5500 for a rebuilt a440f, modified 'extreme' valve body, cooler and gauge (and misc shipping/import fees). It took 6mos to arrive (Oct'07) and was installed Nov'07. Since the install I've had zero issues although I don't 'wheel' so it hasn't seen that type abuse. I've run 33x10.5 MTs since the install (not the same set though o_O), covered ~40k miles most of which was highway and I usually cruise ~70mph and the highest trans temps I've seen was ~215* in stop/go traffic after exiting a highway during TX summer but it normally runs ~180*. So although pricey (and running $6100 today from WCC) this is a quality 'rebuild'.

Keep us posted! :beer:

Had similar issues many moons ago it was my Kick Down Cable that was all corroded and wouldn't allow my transmission to shift properly
wasn't expensive, but was a pain to replace.

As a newbie with the same issue, I am so glad to see this thread and this reply! It sounds like you did the replacement yourself- is there a thread floating around somewhere with any pointers?

That price for a rebuild job just blows my mind. I buy re manufactured (new) 4L65E transmissions for swaps for $1,800.00, built to my specs. I get that it is not a mainstream trans, but damn.

As a newbie with the same issue, I am so glad to see this thread and this reply! It sounds like you did the replacement yourself- is there a thread floating around somewhere with any pointers?

There's a procedure to follow, It wasn't hard to do just a pain in the neck. If I remember correctly I bought an A440F service manual and It took you through the process step by step. I'll dig through some stuff and get you the manual number it was really helpful. Very doable repair.
:beer:

As a data point, is a DIY tranny rebuild an unreasonable approach? Assume there is a rebuild kit and the FSM looks pretty detailed. Special tools and pullers may be an obstacle. Just wondering.
Agreed, I wouldn't spend resources either trying to rebuild one of these transmissions myself or even paying someone else to rebuild it.

But, as others have pointed out, the symptoms the OP describes might be caused by a factor that is within his control to fix, and not necessarily requiring a transmission rebuild.

If the OP convinces himself that the cause of the symptoms is in fact a transmission problem and the transmission needs to be rebuilt/replaced, if I were in his position, I would trust the judgment of a guy like Georg at Valley Hybrid and swap in a good, used transmission...if I was going to stay with the automatic transmission...

If you choose to rebuild it, be ready. Do it in a CLEAN place, and have multiple containers for all of the small parts like check balls, springs, etc. DO NOT USE TOWELS WITH ANY LINT! With a messy job like this, you will need a lot of rags to help soak up atf. Lint can clog the valves, not allowing proper fluid flow/pressure. I would take pics often and early, it will help in the long run. Honestly, if you haven't been taught how to do it, I would leave it alone. There are waaaay too many things that can go wrong, and it's a pain to get everything back in order if something is tweaked.

There's a procedure to follow, It wasn't hard to do just a pain in the neck. If I remember correctly I bought an A440F service manual and It took you through the process step by step. I'll dig through some stuff and get you the manual number it was really helpful. Very doable repair.
:beer:
Here's the FSM I mentioned. image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom