What Do You Cook On Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another Big a Green Egg guy here.

null_zps309e770f.jpg

I am surprised that no one has talked about cast iron. I never go camping without my cast iron oven, and one or two pans. The footed ovens are one of the most versatile camp cooking items. I have enjoyed stews, cakes, biscuits, cookies, roast chicken, duck, or just about anything that you can think of. My kids get the biggest kick out of making caramel corn over the fire. I never go without it.

I am surprised that no one has talked about cast iron. I never go camping without my cast iron oven, and one or two pans. The footed ovens are one of the most versatile camp cooking items. I have enjoyed stews, cakes, biscuits, cookies, roast chicken, duck, or just about anything that you can think of. My kids get the biggest kick out of making caramel corn over the fire. I never go without it.

Most if not all of us are cast iron users...and steel fits in to this category too.

But if you think you're allowed to drop a bomb by mere mention of camp caramel corn: You're not! :lol:

I'd be down with making it...cast iron dutch oven...camp or home!

Your turn :D

I'd like more detail on this caramel corn of which you speak.

Sent via the ether from my candy bar running ginger bread

^ X2 on the caramel corn...

I make different griddles and fry pans with left over plate steels from my projects. I like the "ole" fry a pound or two of bacon or ham ( up to 2 or 3 times ) in the pan.. and then "in essence" anneal the pot, oven, griddle or ... in a burning pile of sage brush, pine needles/cones, mesquite... etc.. it always leaves a baked in smooth non-stick surface.

My grandmother has done this with her cast iron and my salvage made campware I have made for her/myself over the years.

J

Most if not all of us are cast iron users...and steel fits in to this category too.

But if you think you're allowed to drop a bomb by mere mention of camp caramel corn: You're not! :lol:

I'd be down with making it...cast iron dutch oven...camp or home!

Your turn :D

"What do you cook on" was the question I was answering. Not looking to drop a bomb on anyone just looking to join in on the chat. Sorry if I did not fit in with what you thought the group needs to talk about.

"What do you cook on" was the question I was answering. Not looking to drop a bomb on anyone just looking to join in on the chat. Sorry if I did not fit in with what you thought the group needs to talk about.

No wadded panties here my friend and no thread police is me. Just my way of saying I'd like to hear all about your camp caramel corn! And no bigger thread hijacker than me :eek:

So offer up it up here...or elsewhere...but offer it up.

Please :flipoff2:

Is this a Dutch Oven? Maybe even another thread on this would be great as well.

Last edited:
When I was a kid my father smoked a lot of fish in an old fridge (yes in those days they were made of steel). The firebox went where the motor and compressor used to be, and a big fire inside took care of any paint or plastic bits. He only used oak shavings for the smoke, and as a kid that smoked fish with some fresh bread that my mum baked - heaven!

Bringing this thread back...

I made this bumper/camp grill today its 10 x 16, charcoal... if my customer doesn't want it... I'll be firing it up to try it out once I'm done welding it out.

You are now 5 pictures closer to selling to selling more bumpers. Include one with every bumper and see what happens.

I had seen a round grill that packs into the space in the spare tire before, but this is way cooler and less hipster.

You are now 5 pictures closer to selling to selling more bumpers. Include one with every bumper and see what happens.

I had seen a round grill that packs into the space in the spare tire before, but this is way cooler and less hipster.

HA! maybe so, I figured you guyswould appreciate it more than others... I thought about the buy a bumoer set and get a grill thing... GREAT MINDS!

Nice grill, what gauge is it made out of? What's the deal on the bottom, the intake?

10" A53 x 10gauge ERW light gauge pipe.. My steel guy lets me know when he has drops that I might be interested in... This is new steel.. I have access to all the oil/gas pipe a person would ever want... BUT NOT FOR A CUSTOMER TO COOK ON! HA!

Yes, that is the adjustable air dampner. Once I get everything where I want it I will tack weld a thread or dimple a thread so it won't fall off in transit.

Thanks guys,

J

I cook in my trusty barrel, it will smoke, and I can move the fire basket up to grill if needed. (I have a brinkmann 4burner but it needs new internals so it's been sidelined for now).

image.jpg

I broke down this weekend and bought a Masterbuilt 30-inch Electric digital smoker. My main reason was because I just don't have any time to cook these days and wanted something I could load up and leave it. Has really good reviews online. Also bought the pellet conversion for it so it should produce smoke for 10 hrs without reloading. Will post up how it works over the Thanksgiving holiday.

51tNH8jKBHL._SL1200_.jpg

I so love my wife's clients (sweet folks), look at what she brought home today;:clap:

101_1548.jpg

Practically new...

101_1549.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom