Cold weather cycling gloves/mitts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What temps are you looking for the gloves to cover? I know a few guys around here will run the lobster style gloves in the coldest part of the winter when we are hitting single digits consistently.

These are my go-to for 99% of winter riding. I commute to work, but I live in Salt Lake City, Utah - so it doesn't really get "cold" in the same way it does in northern states. It rarely goes below 20*. For temps between 30* and 55* these are great. The rubberized mitt folds out of a pocket and is totally wind proof, it it gets warm, it tucks back in and you have regular fleece type gloves. They're on sale for $25 a pair at nashbar right now too!
1446766.jpg

I also have a pair of these Koperdell lined neoprene gloves. They're great when it's cold and wet. Totally waterproof and warm as well. They're kinda $$ though. I bought em on a closeout for $20 - actually bought two pairs since they were really cheap so I've got a backup when they wear out. Otherwise at $100/pr I don't think I'd be a buyer, but they are pretty nice.

If it's colder than that, I'm probably just going to drive.

You should also check these guys out: http://45nrth.com/products/softgoods

I've had good luck using big winter overmitts from LL Bean and Outdoor Research: they're big enough to allow some room for gloves below and shifting on regular integrated road bike levers. And, the layering options are nice.

I don't see heated gloves in your link, but would be reluctant to rely on batteries for heat. On a long ride in really cold temps, you can get real cold real fast if things go wrong, and you have to keep riding. My winter riding season is just getting cold here in Michigan, and I'm still pulling out the same old gear that works.

For winter riding i use two pairs of gloves - a thin wool pair for warmth, and then a thin windproof pair over the wool cycling gloves. i find that beating the wind is the crucial part.
What about these heated cycling gloves.
http://www.sport-lover.com/Cycling-Gloves-c12.html

Do you think heated cycling gloves will help?"

This also depends on what you are considering cold..... I have ridden in everything from single digit temps with 50%+ humidity to double-digits while it is snowing and the same gloves did not serve the same purpose. However, your idea seems right, thin underlayer for warmth then windproofing/waterproofing layer. Only problem is that you need to find a top layer that breathes well.

True about the wind. My ride to work is about 6 miles but all downhill.

The ride home my hands typically stay warm or warm enough.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Alan
Use Specialized neoprene. The neoprene cuts the wind and stays warm if swewting. Warm i guess is relative seeing as you are e in Duluth lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom