differences in fj40 and fj43 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1978freebornred

78 fj40 LE and 79 fj40 LE w/ stock ac
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
i thought it would be good to show what the differences are between the fj40 and 43 the fj 43 is a longer wheelbase but how much longer? Is the frame different could one simply add on to the rear of the frame and move the spring perches? the hard top what is the window configurations?

- Basically im thinkn of stretching mine 20 inches or so because i have ambulance doors that i could use as the window on the top and a spare hardtop for donations of fiberglass ... and i want to go about it in a way that i can still drive my cruiser while im working on it IE work on weekends and not make it immobile and still preform better hauling trailers and have more room inside... and still be the best offroad as possible.

For 5" (or so) longer wheel base, I'd leave the front (rear spring) perch alone and either flip 40 springs, or use 60 springs (possibly flipped) and move the rear perch. By my thinking, you could keep almost all the vehicle weight on the stock frame rail. Your extension would only be holding 18" of body tub and hardtop. You'd need to of course add 18" to the frame. But this would simplify the frame lengthening project compared to adding a chunk in the middle.:D

In this thread, https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/160124-60-series-springs-42-a.html, Cruiser drew states that 60 series springs move the axle back about 5" on a 40.

Last edited:
thanks bikersmurf! i was wondering how to do that... since I would rather have a stock looking one as an aqualo... I have a shakle reversal lift is that what you mean by flipping springs? yes adding in the middle seems like a nightmare.

Correct me if I'm wrong,

FJ 40 Wheelbase Length 90 Inches
FJ 43 Wheelbase Length 95.7 Inches
FJ 45 Wheelbase Length 116 Inches

Does this make each version carry different rear length Cardan Shafts?

I assume the front shaft should be one length and the rear ones would be the ones changing depending on wheelbase length.

Im currently restoring my 75 FJ43 with its original 2F and 3 gears on the floor.
here is a link to my build thread

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/411777-1975-fj43-resto-mod-project.html

This would put the wheel base at 5.7" longer.

I've seen the body reported as 14, 16, & 18" longer. Anyone know for sure?

I have to admit, that I'm contemplating flipping my rear springs (possibly swapping in 60 main leaves) and stretching the body when I replace the 1/4 pannels. A little bit of a frame stretch, and some ambulance door windows grafted into the hardtop... It would be quite a bit of work, but it would be really cool to have some extra space and a unique rig. I've also heard that Bj44s ride/drive nicer.

The frame is 14inches longer at the rear... the springs are same as a 45.. front perch remain as it.. rear shackle moves backword.. this automatically shifts the axle abt 5.6 inches back.. increasing wheelbase.

An extra 5.6" in wheelbase... How would this affect the ride? Anyone stretch their 40 or driven a 43/44 care to comment?

I'm seriously considering stretching my 40 into a 43 when I build new rear 1/4s. (whenever that day comes)

I have now owned and sold and driven an 81 FJ43, a 74 FJ43, a 82 FJ43 and soon a 78 FJ43 plus some FJ40s. The FJ43s ride considerably more smoothly than an FJ40. It is still a solid axle truck but rail road tracks etc do not jar as much in a FJ40. The turning radius to get into tight parking spaces is not as good as an FJ40 but an FJ43 is not really a long truck anyhow. I need to check the weight as the FJ43s feel a bit pokier going up the Colombian mountains but I think that has more to do with individual truck's motor condition etc. The 74 FJ43 with the F engine and 3 speed and manual steering really surprised me on how well it drove. The 82 FJ43 that I am working on now is the BEST riding of all trucks so far. We lifted it a touch by using slightly longer shackles and we replaced the broken stock rear springs and added new pads and 2 leaves. This gave the truck about a 2 inch lift. We put 265/75/16 AT tires on 16 inch rims. The ride is fantastic. This took a lot of experimentation but I am pleased with the results. Keeps the truck basically stock but gives it a better stance and avoids having to buy and install an expensive OME lift.

If you can slide the rear axle back like the poster said above you could possibly convert an FJ40 to an FJ43. The easy way to do it would be to get a Colombian FJ43 steel half tub (new) and then a nice condition used fiberglass Colombian hard top. I would buy both then adjust the rear axle and the frame length to get the tub and the top to fit. Could be a future cool conversion kit???

Or just buy a genuine left hand drive FJ43.

1974 FJ43 with 31 inch tires and no power steering. Drove and rode like a Cadillac with fixed custom Colombian metal hard top. Probably my favorite truck so far. Very original and turned out great.

IMG_4003.JPG

1982 FJ43 in red. A lot of mechanical work done and full repaint into this one but should turn out fantastic (this is before we painted it below). I rode in an FJ43 with OME lift and reverse front shackles. It rode very well. This red one rides BETTER. Surprised me. Guessing about a 2 inch lift you can see the clearance under the rear wheel well. about a 32 inch tire. The OME lift is higher at 2.5 to 3 inches.

IMG_3368.JPG

Here is an all steel new FJ43 tub. Made in Colombia. Would be nice to add the longer rear side facing benches. These trucks take 9 passengers easily. You can see the extra overhang. The rear driveshaft is longer. Otherwise there are very few differences between the FJ43 and FJ40.

IMG_4030.JPG

It comes down to more than adding inches to the back of the frame or changing springs around to make a 43.
The front half of a 43 is identical to a 40 series the 43 ,44 and 46 are the same in frame dimensions the frame stretch is before the wheel arch and after the frame arch mostly at the back end of the frame.
If you look at the pics above you can see there is a few inches more in between the door and the front of the rear wheel and in the rear it is noticeably longer.
The ride on a longer wheel base is much nicer over all length is not that noticeable to me considering I also drive 60 series which are much longer I do prefer the 44 overall to the rest of my cruisers plus the extra room in the back is nice .

Aftermarket, or made by Toyota in Colombia? That looks darn close to OEM..How much $ do they run?

Tub is aftermarket. Toyota no longer makes body parts that I know of. I am getting a lot people wanting me to bring these in. There are a few sources down there. PM me to let me know what you need.

Current 1979 FJ43 in Olive I am finishing for a client... This truck was 95% rust free. Unfortunately we found some badly done hidden repairs in the rear section which we corrected. It has its original tub. This is going to be a great truck in a great color with new AC/heat, 5 speed and disc brakes.

IMG_5835.JPG

I had a 82 fj43 for a year. Hard top. Power steering. Great cargo space and handling with big tires. Narrow tires made it really stiff. The fiberglass tops made in colombia are heavy. Sold that rig and a bike to get the 80 series for the family.

And never regretted it ? :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom