Cold weather cycling gloves/mitts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What do other winter riders wear to keep their hands warm?

Planning on riding all winter.

Currently using xc skiing gloves, but they aren't warm enough for my morning commute (now 0-10 degrees, and will get colder).

Might be switching to Gripshifts so I can wear choppers. Lobsters might work but I've never used them before.

So what do you fellow Mudders recommend?

Thanks, Alan.

sealskins
thin, light, wind/waterproof. The wind is the killer.
Sealskins and a heat pack will work great. Thin enough to put a big glove over it too.

they make socks too.

True about the wind. My ride to work is about 6 miles but all downhill.

The ride home my hands typically stay warm or warm enough.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Alan

I think ScottM commutes year round by bicycle in Michigan... He'd obviously have a lot more to add than this southern boy. You might want to PM him a link to this thread to make sure he sees it..

I use the Pearl Izumi lobster mitts for winter riding. I really haven't gone too many times when the weather is below 20 F, but I've never had cold hands. In fact, it can be the opposite. Sometimes the mitts are just too warm.

Betweem wearing a beanie, lobster mitts, regular tights, ski socks, polypropelyne t shirt, long sleeved shirt and a shell (not a jacket), I get quite snuggly on the cold rides.

I ride in the woods as much as possible. The only thing ending the season is heavy snow or ice.

Are the PI lobster mitts windproof?

Definitely, although my caveat is I use them for mountain biking, so I'm in the woods where its not too windy and I'm not hauling at 22-23 mph like a roadie.

I've had mine for about 10 years and they work/look good as new. They are also washer/dryer friendly.

+1 for the lobsters! Made all the difference in the world for me. It is currently snowing here, should get 6-9" in the next 24 hours and can't wait to get the mountain bikes out!

Uh...I disagree...if they have not changed the design since last year, I had these:

Pearl Izumi Barrier Lobster Glove at REI.com

And they are not windproof. They have this flexible membrane in between the fingers and my hands would get cold. I ride everyday in Chicago to work (only 4 miles) and have yet to find the right glove. I'm sure the lobster claws would work but I need one that is truly windproof.

I ride with my fingers on the brakes and on the shifters so with my fingers separated the wind will go through the gloves. If I "siamese" my four fingers I'm fine, but when split they get cold.

I just bought these:

Grandoe Crestone Gloves - Men's - '08 Closeout at REI-OUTLET.com

Thinking maybe they would do the trick...nope. I'm getting to the point when I think I just have those hands that are always gonna be a little cold.

True about the wind. My ride to work is about 6 miles but all downhill.

The ride home my hands typically stay warm or warm enough.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Alan

One way then has to be uphill....and downhill = less exertion = less heat = higher speed = more wind! = more cold!

It's the wind that kills me (I think) plus when your going 17mph or so you're sorta creating your own wind-chill.

or even a merino wool liner inside a windproof might work.

I'm just brain storming, under 30 and run instead. <-Just proved I'm a puss with that statement.

Big gloves, really big, I wear XXL on my average sized hands. I sometimes need a liner glove, two thin layers when it's below zero with wind. The air gap especially at the finger tips is key. The ability to add liners without ending up with tight gloves is vital, I used to be colder with liner gloves because they ended up tight. I rarely need to add liners with the big gloves. I don't really notice the extra finger length, it's not in the way. Also, if your arms get cold, forget about circulating warm blood to the fingers. With short gloves on cool days, I wear fleece sweatbands on both wrists to keep air from getting up my sleeves. On cold days, my winter biking gloves cover my wrists well, I wear the sweatbands over the gloves to wipe my nose. Much easier to wash sweatbands than the fleece pads they put on winter gloves for this purpose.

And I much prefer running in the Winter, but 30+ years of running hard and major injuries, I probably should cut back. Maybe next winter.

So far the best has been plain old leather choppers with wool liners.

Rode last weekend to work at -9F.

Thanks for all the replies.

On a side note the Innova Ice Husky tires are working out great.

How are the Husky studs holding up? My Nokians have carbide studs, they haven't worn much in many winters. The Huskys have replaceable carbon steel studs, I'm not sure which is better. The carbides dig into wet steel plates and rails, I wouldn't expect carbon steel to do that very well. Carbon steel is softer and rusts more readily, but the ability to replace them is pretty sweet.

The two center rows have worn considerably, which I was expecting since a friend told me this happened to his tires.

(He's had the same set of tires for 5 seasons)

My commute is on all pavement, with sections of ice. The ride in is also quite fast being all downhill.

The outer two rows look great.

We'll see how they look at the end of the season.

Alan

I wonder if they're standard studs used on running shoes or something? That'd be cool, I sometimes would like longer studs, but wouldn't want them all the time. Perhaps there are carbide studs available?

Cool, I see they carry carbide Nokian studs there. Looks like they simply slide in from the inside.

Now winter is coming, choose cycling gloves function should contain: Breathable,Snowproof,Wearproof,Keep Warm,Anti-skidding,Windproof,Waterproof

but just looking at the->Men's Green Thermal Tech Cycling Gloves- sport-lover cyclin gloves

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom