12h-t block heater (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, yet another noob question. There seems to be something of a range of answers on putting a block heater in this engine. I've hunted for a frost plug to pop out, with no luck. What gives? Is a block heater possible, and if so, where.

I put one in last year. The ones that replace a frost plug are easy to install if you remove the engine from the truck and pull most of it apart.
I am lazy and just went with a circulating style heater that taps water from the lower rad hose, heats it and delivers it via convection to the heater line at the rear of the head. The heater fits nicely under your battery and only requires a slight massage of the inner fender to do a clean install. The heater cost around 100 bucks at Traction, prob the same price anywhere else...except Grainger which is twice as much !
I think it was a four beer install but your consumption may vary.

I think there is a frost plug heater, but kind of a bugger to install. I put one of these in my 2H and it worked quite well
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOWER-COOLA...1-1-2-ZEROSTART-BRAND-600W-110V-/121043357549

quite inexpensive, and with a clamp on each side of lower rad hose, a drip tray underneath, its' only a few minutes to install with not much fear of any kind of air pockets being formed. The nice thing is, the coolant is heated, not the oil so you will have cabin heat quite quickly after engine start as well. BTW, make sure you order the correct rad hose diameter.

My truck had one of those in it when I got it. My reason for going with the convection style when I replaced the punky lower rad hose was that there is no check valve in the system so are you not heating the coolant in the rad up which is made to dissipate heat ? What I like is that I have heat the moment the truck fires up . Maybe yours works just as well as I never used mine....
If you can swing it a Webasto is the way to go.

I installed one in mine. Search my thread, I wrote an extensive one on the block heater. Make sure you get the right size!

It's not that hard to do, but requires removal of the oil pressure sensor. Make sure to put the wires back correctly or you'll fry your oil pressure gauge. Just two wires and I got them wrong.

FYI, I replaced mine simply because it was leaking.

I think there is a frost plug heater, but kind of a bugger to install. I put one of these in my 2H and it worked quite well
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOWER-COOLA...1-1-2-ZEROSTART-BRAND-600W-110V-/121043357549

quite inexpensive, and with a clamp on each side of lower rad hose, a drip tray underneath, its' only a few minutes to install with not much fear of any kind of air pockets being formed. The nice thing is, the coolant is heated, not the oil so you will have cabin heat quite quickly after engine start as well. BTW, make sure you order the correct rad hose diameter.

Hey @cruiserpilot! Do you recall the diameter by chance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom