Looking to buy a Tacoma Pick up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there

Been a toyota fan and we own 3 in the family.

Considering a Tacoma pick up to haul stuff around and occasionally will be on snowy roads and dirt roads.

Should i go for a 2003 or the newer model 2005 ?
Insisting on a manual and Xtra cab.
I believe the 2005 have better seats and roomier. What about reliability ?

Most of them in Lebanon are imported from US with 100 k miles +

I found a 2003 with 108 k miles but V6.
I was told the early i4 is just as good and better on mileage.
Will the I4 be significantly better on gas mileage ?

Pls advise.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415824223.889599.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415824243.122858.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415824260.358101.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415824284.326752.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415824306.261591.jpg

Last edited:
Hi there the 2003 Tacome TRD V6 has 254 k miles as per Autocheck.
Looks like it was rollled back when exported. Autocheck report is clean.

I guess too high and probably will need engine refurb soon.
Pls advise ?

Should i avoid gen 2 2005 ? Read 2005 is a strange year for Taco s with all the changes.

Truck will mainly be uses on road with occasional off roading / trailing.

if you could afford it I would go for the little newer model, and with 4 doors. but not sure how much more expensive that is. but regards technical which one is the better choice I have no idea.
All I know is that both are very cool looking especially when you put bigger tyres on them like 35"s or so

I prefer a cab and a half.
Is 200 k miles too high for Tacoma trucks ?

The 5z engine has been proven to go 300K+ before rebuild. My Tacoma at 105K is just getting broken in. Have no idea what to offer $$. Good luck.

Both the V6 engines (2003 and 2005) and proven solid, but any truck with 200+ thousand miles is going to need some attention. I don't think a full overhaul should be expected, but you'll have to check on serviceable things like timing belt, water pump, throttle body, ball joints, steering rack, wheel bearings, clutch. The 2005 was a new model year for the Tacoma, but not the 1GR engine, so the issues were in other areas like frame/body mount issues, ring and pinion failures, 6 spd tranny problems (throw out bearing?) and maybe others I've forgotten. But a lot of the issues were with folks who wheeled hard and so understanding the history and usage of the truck would be important.

My feeling on the 4 cyl versus 6 cyl is that the gas mileage differences aren't significant enough to outweigh the advantages of the V6 power and torque. Seems like it's only a few MPG difference between the engines.

FYI, I have a 96 extra cab 5 speed with a 3.4 with 311,000 curently. This truck is my daily driver and has been for the last 15 yrs. Sure the rack will go out after a few hundred thousand but even worn out you can keep going. Stuff will eventualy go bad, but very rarely break. The take home message is this. These trucks will put up with any BS you can provide, and still get you home at the end of the day. By the way this truck has seen more rough roads at high speed, and more overall debauchery than most, living in KS salt from its early years, to MT 40 below winters (without being plugged in)chained up on all fours for 15.:steer: I cant say enough about the reliability of these trucks (I also have an 80). I did refresh the motor,rack at 295,000, trany and transfercase at 300,000 ish. Just know that you are buying a very quality product if you invest in a Tacoma. By the way I am not a car dealer! :moon:

I believe the power difference between the 6 and 4 is much greater than the difference in gas consumption. I have a 2014 4cyl, and it's so weak compared to the 6s. My 30+ yr old FJ would probably smoke it. Conclusion, extra cab + 6cyl is a winner.

Thanks a lot guy.
I ll be going with a V6. Is a TRD worth it ? I guess it comes with small lift and e locker.
Anyone knows where the e locker switch would be located on 2004 Tacoma V6 ? Asking as I am on travel and a close friend is checking the truck for me.

Jay

Button just left of the stering column says diff lock. Make sure it works. Easy enough to just install a button/place TRD stickers on a rig.

Thanks guys.

What engine fresh ups would be needed at 254 k miles ?

I had a 96 with 260k on it last year. Ran/drove perfect. Had my kid fit in the back I would probably still have it. In the first generation there isn't much of a difference in mileage between a 4 and 6 cyl in the 4x4's. In the second generation if you're talking manual transmissions there is. I had an 05 extracab 4x4/5 speed that I averaged 22mpg with. My brother in law has the same truck with a V6/six speed stick and he struggles to get 18. I've got an 05 V6/auto 4x4 now and I average 20. I wouldn't sweat buying one of these with 200k plus on it as long as it's been well kept and isn't rusty.

Is a TRD main difference in the rear locker ?
Would a V6 in a 2003 have significant more power over an I4 ?

The 95.5-04 trucks have a 150 horsepower 4 cylinder and a 190 horsepower 6 cylinder. Second gens are I believe 158 horsepower 4 cylinder and 236 horsepower 6 cylinder. If you're hauling stuff, putting bigger tires on, or towing the V6 is worth it for sure. If you like to pass people from 50-70 MPH a six cylinder is a must. But the 4 cylinders are pretty torquey and perfectly fine for most. I actually put a set of shocks in a friend's 02 regular cab last weekend and I drove it about 50 miles. Went just fine. I put 100k on a second gen 4 cylinder I bought new and loved it, especially the gas mileage. But passing at speed required downshifting 2 gears. There are some early tacomas with lockers that aren't TRD models too. But they are rare. On a first gen it's pretty easy to swap the locker in afterwards if you don't have it. On second gens the whole rearend housing is different because they used the same 3rd member for the lockers as the first gens. Second gen non-lockers have a beefier rear. But on second gens you could get an optional limited slip (mine has this) also in the larger rear.

Thanks a lot.

I am looking at 1st Gen 2002-2004 Tacoma. Seems they are more reliable and cheaper.

Any comments on mileage between a V6 and i4 ?

A coworker with a 4 cylinder regular cab says he gets 21-22 highway with his. I've had 4 1st gen V6 trucks. 3 manuals and an auto. I drive mostly highway and never saw 20 out of any of them. Usually 18.5-19 or so.

Hi all,

I have a 2007 Tacoma extra-cab 4wd TRD with the 4.0L V-6 and 6 speed manual transmission.

This truck sees mild off-road use incidental to vacation/pleasure trips.

Lots of power, the Bilstein tuned suspension rides good, front seats are comfortable & very supportive.

The "extra cab" is actually quite large, and the fold down seats are O.K. for adults on short trips.

I don't like the electronic "turn dial" 4wd/low range activator. The rear E-Locker works well when I can get it to engage.

Mileage is "O.K." but certainly not impressive.

Regards,

Alan

I have a Tacoma double cab, long bed, TRD Sport V6.
Gas mileage is about 17-19 in the summer, and about 15-16 in the winter (different fuel blends).
Power is great, it's comfortable and adults can sit in the back seat for extended periods of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom