Rear Jump Seat Sticker Detail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1416701037.788049.jpg

I failed to photograph my jumps seats before powder coating. I have the reproduction stickers but remember another marking, perhaps red numerals, ink-stamped on the label. Does anyone have a picture of the correct location of the label and maybe a closeup of an original label?

I did some research on the sticker placement for my 76 FJ40. Here are some photos collected from Mud threads. The original labels appear to line up with the canvas strap, and are placed half-way or further down. There are 2-digit numbers stamped on both sides of the two dots on the label. The label is oriented so the characters having the heavy lines are placed closest to the seat material, which appears to be up-side-down. Many of the restorations show the label placed near the top of the back instead (with the heavy-lined characters at the top), perhaps to allow the label to be seen through the side window. The placement and orientation in these examples may or may not apply consistently.

76 with the sticker at the bottom
Jump Seat 76 - bottom.JPG

Close up of that sticker, numbers appear to be faded black
Jump Seat 76 - bottom closeup.JPG

Another 76 with the stickers more towards the center.
Jump Seat 76 - middle.JPG

Why didn't I take more pictures? I don't have the top on but from the bottom of the hardtop to the bottom of the glass measures 10". To see the sticker with the hardtop on means the sticker has to be within to top 2" of the metal seat back. Now I'm starting to think that the first time I saw the sticker was when I removed the top.

I can't see mine without a mirror. I think you're going to an unnecessary detail, but to each his own. I think that's just a QC sticker.

Why didn't I take more pictures? I don't have the top on but from the bottom of the hardtop to the bottom of the glass measures 10". To see the sticker with the hardtop on means the sticker has to be within to top 2" of the metal seat back. Now I'm starting to think that the first time I saw the sticker was when I removed the top.

Interesting, I just looked at my '76 seats and there is no sticker, no residue where there was one. I have pretty much every other sticker there is, so maybe they weren't on every one?

Interesting, I just looked at my '76 seats and there is no sticker, no residue where there was one. I have pretty much every other sticker there is, so maybe they weren't on every one?

The original stickers were thin paper. With minimal adhesive apparently, on my brand new 77 FJ40 they fell off within a year of purchase.

Mine are still there, but they're not very legible. I know for a fact that I've run a wet towel over the backs of the seats at least a couple of times over 35 years to clean off trail dust. Oh, and they probably absorbed a fair amount of Malamute drool over the years from taking my dog for rides (barking rides :)) with the hard top off. :D

The original stickers were thin paper. With minimal adhesive apparently, on my brand new 77 FJ40 they fell off within a year of purchase.

Last edited:
I did some research on the sticker placement for my 76 FJ40. Here are some photos collected from Mud threads. The original labels appear to line up with the canvas strap, and are placed half-way or further down. There are 2-digit numbers stamped on both sides of the two dots on the label.

Out of curiosity I emailed your closeup label to a friend in Japan. The kanji to the right of the “mtk” circle is ken sa sumi meaning “Examined/Inspected.” The kanji on the 2nd line is “Showa 53 (year of emperor) . 9 . 24” Converting Japanese dates since the Meiji period (Showa 53 = 1978) gives an inspection date on that sticker of Sep 24, 1978.

That's what I expected. Pretty cool, anyway.

Out of curiosity I emailed your closeup label to a friend in Japan. The kanji to the right of the “mtk” circle is ken sa sumi meaning “Examined/Inspected.” The kanji on the 2nd line is “Showa 53 (year of emperor) . 9 . 24” Converting Japanese dates since the Meiji period (Showa 53 = 1978) gives an inspection date on that sticker of Sep 24, 1978.

Cool. I looked into the kanji characters to see what was there.

Jump Seat Decal - translation.jpg

Last edited:
Trying to determine what the MtK logo on the jump seat sticker means. Found the Marutaka Co. According to their web site, in 1961 they opened a location to manufacture Land Cruiser seats. A photo from the site showing assembly of modern seats.

Marutaka Co. seat assembly.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom