New Guy trying to choose a LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

I am a newbie so this is my first official post. Though I have been reading threads on this site for probably 2 years. Anyway, I have been wanting to get a new vehicle since I sold my truck last year and have been researching like crazy to find the right vehicle. I have decided that I want a 100 series LC but I am having trouble deciding on the year and I was wondering if some of you could chime in. I had narrowed it to the 2003-2005 models because of the 5-speed transmission. I had considered the 2000-2002 but have found from many post there seems to be some problems with the 4-speed in the 2000 and maybe 2001 models. I am also shooting for a budget of $15,000 and have some wiggle room with that but looking for one under 150,000 miles. I know that the timing belt and water pump replacement seems to be the biggest things with these vehicles so I didn't know if a 200,000 mile vehicle would be a problem or not. I just want to see what you all thought and would recommend and if there are any years better than the other.

Anyway I hope I posted in the right area, all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Sounds like you are on the right track. You'll probably have to find a good deal or spend tad more to meet your criteria. The only other thing I would decide on is if you want a nav or non-nav (ability to upgrade radio).

Just an FYI, I picked up my '03 (5 spd!) with 96k for $18k. If you're wiling to go up to 150k miles I bet you can find one at or near your budget.

Sounds like you are on the right track. You'll probably have to find a good deal or spend tad more to meet your criteria. The only other thing I would decide on is if you want a nav or non-nav (ability to upgrade radio).

I was reading that some of the ones with nav have issues with the MFD causing problems and are expensive to have replaced. Not sure how true that is but NAV is not something I need to have.

Just an FYI, I picked up my '03 (5 spd!) with 96k for $18k. If you're wiling to go up to 150k miles I bet you can find one at or near your budget.

What other major maintenance concerns are there after 150,000? I know the timing belt should be replaced every 90,000 so it would need replacing by 180,000 I am assuming. But I could go up to $17-$18,000 If I found the right vehicle.

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but there are deals out there if you're consistent with your search and act quickly when you find the right one. Here's an example:

http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/4766101633.html

I think this is underpriced, but it shows that you can find a 2003 - 2005 within your budget.

I'm in San Diego but I am willing to travel to pretty much anywhere in the CONUS if i find the right car at the right price.

I was reading that some of the ones with nav have issues with the MFD causing problems and are expensive to have replaced. Not sure how true that is but NAV is not something I need to have.

I don't believe it is common, but that is the one caveat with the nav. With the availability of aftermarket nav/radios now, it would be a plus to buy one without an OEM nav unit if you happen to find one.

Nav is not really a big deal either way IMHO. I think you are heading in the right direction looking for an "03+. I would dnot worry as much about the miles as I would a good rust free vehicle with a maintenance history.

If I lived in SoCal, I would wait until I found one local to avoid rust. May have to pay a bit more, but worth every penny to find an all original CA truck. Suppose AZ and NV works too.

My only concern with some of the SoCal cars is this area is expensive and most places do not have garages so sun damage seems to be pretty prevalent on most cars down here. But I will keep a look out for a well kept one.

Thanks all for the advice so far.

I'd say 04! But I'm a lil bias =)

04 was first year for back up camera, blue tooth phone, green tinted windows instead of brown, and I'm pretty sure the first year with the 10 way power adjustable seat for the passenger (I think). It is also the last year to have glass headlamps from what I've read. Though Toyota didn't go one piece till 06, so it seems weird to me that they'd have 05 be the only year with two piece plastic lenses. Maybe I'm mistaken about all of this headlamp stuff, but my 04 has glass lenses.

04 cons: I'm pretty sure this is the year that people have been reporting nav failures from. Mine works fine.

...via IH8MUD app

If you have a few months you'll find one in SoCal. Try cars.com and auto trader.com too

What other major maintenance concerns are there after 150,000? I know the timing belt should be replaced every 90,000 so it would need replacing by 180,000 I am assuming. But I could go up to $17-$18,000 If I found the right vehicle.
The timing belt may or may not have been replaced on time, search the forum for a picture of where the sticker SHOULD be place if the dealership did the work. If an independent garage did the work good luck, they probably threw the sticker away with the plastic bag.
You might also consider base lining the fluids, serpentine belt and hoses.

My only concern with some of the SoCal cars is this area is expensive and most places do not have garages so sun damage seems to be pretty prevalent on most cars down here. But I will keep a look out for a well kept one.

Thanks all for the advice so far.
IMHO the best used cars live in Seattle. Easy life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom