Chuck box/camp kitchen (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry it Essex clearens store.The box # is 650990 they sell online for $155 plus shipping got these two for $164 after tax and yes its the real thing..not sure about my truck but its a 98 with ome 864
ForumRunner_20120526_112937.jpg
ForumRunner_20121103_175410.jpg

Last edited:
here is what i used, still need to put some deviders in side of them, i was just making sure it would work here.

picture.php

i got it from sportsmans guide for $99

here is what i used, still need to put some deviders in side of them, i was just making sure it would work here.

i got it from sportsmans guide for $99
They look like surplus military medical chests.

They look like surplus military medical chests.

that's what it is, just one it is two sided with a cover that locks in to separate the sides or top and bottom. every thing but the grill fit inside, the down fall is they are heavy buy themselves so once you put everything in them they have some weight.

Do you have a steel or aluminum one?

Pound for pound I don't find the aluminum surplus military medical boxes to be any heavier than plastic of similar size and strength.
I have two of the short top size and use them frequently.
mil med box.gif

yea rusty, i agree just after you get the camp stove, food pots and pans, cast iron at that, and propane tanks, well it got heavy, but not so heavy i could not pick it up.

I usually load the boxes after I put them on the roof rack.
If they are riding on the rack I typically only carry sleeping bags and light stuff in them.

When I solo camp I can load my stove, tent, sleeping bag, food box and cooking stuff in one and still lift it into the back of my lifted FJ40.

I picked up this used Flight Case for $50 at Repurpose Materials, here in Denver. I customized it for my Chuck Box. It's sturdy as all get out, air tight, and fits everything I need to cook and serve for 8 people quite well. When camping, I set it on a couple of short 2x4's to keep it up, off the ground, as well as easy to access. Check it out.
Camping Chuck Box 001.jpg
Camping Chuck Box 002.jpg
Camping Chuck Box 006.jpg

Gonna hot glue it in place and then put 1/4 polur on top
ForumRunner_20121124_151537.jpg
ForumRunner_20121124_151604.jpg

TJ's - that is simplicity well done. I'd suggest you rebuild it with 1/4" ply and it would weigh a heck of a lot less.
I like the design, essentially identical to my truck box.

TJ's - that is simplicity well done. I'd suggest you rebuild it with 1/4" ply and it would weigh a heck of a lot less.
I like the design, essentially identical to my truck box.

Thanks Cruiser. I will rebuild it maybe with Birch or the 1/4", but not till I get a table saw. It really SUCKED using a jig and circular saw especially when you need straight and precise cuts. Simplicity was the name of the game for this build. Cant wait to use it this weekend.

Thanks Cruiser. I will rebuild it maybe with Birch or the 1/4", but not till I get a table saw. It really SUCKED using a jig and circular saw especially when you need straight and precise cuts. Simplicity was the name of the game for this build. Cant wait to use it this weekend.
images

I understand, I'm no expert so I use any number of cheater straight edges to make my cuts. I've got an
old piece of cedar 1x3 I've used for years to cut full lengths of plywood. I also have an old fold up wooden table
that is at least flat and has good edges as well for clamping to. Have fun, J

I understand, I'm no expert so I use any number of cheater straight edges to make my cuts. I've got an
old piece of cedar 1x3 I've used for years to cut full lengths of plywood. I also have an old fold up wooden table
that is at least flat and has good edges as well for clamping to. Have fun, J

I like the idea of using another piece of plywood for a fence--same size, easy to clamp.

I used only a skil saw for many years before I got a table saw.
Yeah, the table saw makes it easier, generally, but for a small job like a grub box it's easier more oft than not to just fence and skil saw stuff rather than drag out the table saw.

In case you wanted a 'high end' unit.... This is what I've had for tailgating the past 5 years:

Last edited:
This is just for camping right? You're not going to drive with that there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom