Espresso (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ordered some of the Sunrise Breakfast Blend from Adventure Roasting today, since the Redbird recommendation was solid.

image.jpg

This is super tasty as well!

This would make a good gateway coffee for someone recovering from Starbucks since it has some darker roasted beans (but not burnt!) thrown in the mix.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I had a cup of some Seattle's Best #4 last week... I could only take one sip before I had to pour it out. It tasted like charcoal. I used to like it, but I guess a few pounds of something better will ruin it for you!

Cam,
The Sunrise Breakfast has a decent 1/2 life post roast too! As most beans it has a sweet spot...typically 5-7 days for me on that bean...but not a dramatic fall off in flavor after that (out to about 10-12 days post roast).

Just ordering up some from Scott tonight! I've been wrapped up in Redbird and Londinium beans for months and time to get some Sunrise and Ugandan coming...my faves from Scott.

Kinda weird...the last batch of Ethiopian/Sumatra (self blended at 50/50) from Jeff has more astringency aftertaste than what we had earlier this spring. Not sure what that's all about...but can't seem to tweak the grind/dose to get around it. I assume, but don't know, he used the same green beans over the past several months; maybe the last I bought is new crop. And for compare it doesn't show up with the Blue Jaguar.

While in Hood River Oregon last week, for my brother's wedding, I discovered 10-Speed Coffee Cafe & Roaster. Normally I drag my mobile espresso/cappuccino making gear along for road trips but this time I decided to leave it at home and search out the best of what the respective local towns could offer. And to be fair: I'm glad I did!

To the point :D: Had wonderful tight cappuccinos at 10-Speed from a blend they were using; can't remember what it was but it was tasty. While there I picked up a couple of pounds of their single origin Guatemala A'achimbal beans. If you like pronounced flavors of toasted cashew, strawberry with a nice salty-caramel finish then I whole heartedly recommend you order up some of these beans. And at $17/lb (they also offer 12oz bags too), given the high quality of the bean and attention with the roast process, this is truly a bargain in today's better bean offering world.

The beans were roasted on 8/13 and with a 5-day rest for this mornings capps the flavor layer profiles are coming through nicely. Can't wait to see how more rest time effects the espresso this week. I ground 16g of beans into an 18g VST basket, pre-infused for 10-seconds on my LI with a shot weight of 30grams and the results were bullseye right.

After my usual morning cappuccinos today...I'll be ordering up some more for back-stock ;)

Excuse my pseudo latte art attempt :D

10-Speed Guat.jpg

Last edited:
edit...it is $17/lb.

Cam, given what I got out of the cup this morning I'd say 5-day rest. But very curious to taste how ensuing days this week, post roast, effect the profile. Hope it stays at/near bullseye for a few more days ;)

I've noticed, in general, lighter roast beans need and take a longer rest period than darker roast beans. But lighter roasts, again generally, have a shorter window of peak flavor profile offering compared to more traditional and/or darker roast levels.

hunting charge up

image.jpg

Whoa-a new toy. Did I miss something?

BTW-Fishing was great in AK, weather was good, average size up significantly this year for some reason.

Yes...the mypressi keeps proving to be unreliable. So I jumped off another cliff. But, damn the new kid makes uber tasty spresso:)

Field testing continues...

Yes...the mypressi keeps proving to be unreliable. So I jumped off another cliff. But, damn the new kid makes uber tasty spresso:)

Field testing continues...

So question: is it much different than an Aeropress? My brother has one and we used it at a cabin this summer. Made some damn fine coffee. I'm more a pour over and French press guy (not espresso I know), but if work as well or better than the Aero, I may throw down some change for a shiny new toy.

Aeropress is a nice, portable coffee maker indeed that can push out some very tasty juice; however its not espresso. If you generally prefer to drink pour over and/or FP I'd suggest staying in that corner...it's so much easier and less expensive than anything espresso ;)

Having said that: The Portapresso has, to date, pushed out some amazingly thick and smooth 'spro; it even surprises me and I've been consuming this stuff for 25+ years. When I want an impromptu shot in the afternoon, even when at home, I use the Portapresso instead of waiting for my LI to get hot hot.

My hunting buddy, is not an espresso drinker per se...he much prefers + milk; however he was head over heals blown away on what I pulled for him a couple weeks ago apart of our camp out/big game hunt together: Thick, sweet and so smooth.

Got it, thanks. Honestly I had never seen the device before, and at a naive cursory glance I could not tell exactly how it differed from the Aero. Having a product named let me look up more info, and I see how it's a more 'legit espresso maker than the Aero or Moka pot (which while utilizing pressure, both are both debatable on how much they qualify as espresso).

Thanks again for the info. I still have a preference more the other methods, but I still appreciate espresso (even barista'd for a while some 15+ years ago as an undergrad) and love to learn about the stuff :)

I'm not sure where, or how, I caught the espresso bug, but I somehow got infected. Dan the spressoman--- er, mon, hooked me up with a few (major understatement) tips on getting started.

I picked up this mid-80's Pasquini Livietta, a brown haired Swiss babe with an Italian sounding name. Don't let her petite figure fool you. She is all muscle, and built like a tank.

As far as machines go, this is probably comparable to an FJ62. It has an automatic and AC, but still rides on leaf springs.

image.jpg

image.jpg

After discovering that my old grinder (above) was not up to snuff, I found an entry level model on eBay to scrape by with while I save up for the real deal. As I'm finding out, the grinder is the most important tool in the bag.

I've spent the past week trying to dial in my settings, but today, after a fresh batch of the previously mentioned Sunrise Breakfast Blend showed up, I think I nailed it.

image.jpg

This was a buttery chocolate explosion in a cup. I'm sure I'm not even close to finding its true potential either. This was so good, I'm not sure I can bring myself to try it with steamed milk.

Anyway, I'm hooked. There's no turning back.

Last edited:
Benissimo!

Damn....

So I mostly drink my 'spro without milk (who wants crack that's been stepped on?), so I haven't had much practice, or luck, with the latte art.

For example, here's an early attempt at a "Rosetta"...

image.jpg

This morning, I couldn't quite get my grind right (my cheap intro grinder needs finer grind adjustments), so instead of tossing my brew, I tried to turn it into something latte-esque .

I actually had something that, if you squint real hard, almost resembles something!

I think hearts are kinda :rainbow:, so we'll call this a "halved onion":grinpimp:

image.jpg

Last edited:
Morning scrotum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom