Parts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just visited a well known cruiser shop in CA today and expressed my interest in the 70-series trucks, specifically a BJ74. Their response was that parts can be very challenging to find. Wait times can be very long. That's the short version of our conversation.

So fellas, what is the experience out there? Are 70 series parts made of unobtanium ?!

TIA

R.

That has not been my experience as the owner of a BJ 73. Some things are no longer available from Toyota but those are the exception. Beno, C Dan, Akela, Japan 4x4, Ens Toyota, Radd, EBI, Cruiser Outfitters, etc. can get what you need.

A little patience helps, but the same was true for my 62. Many parts are common to other series, other than diesel items and even some of those are around.

I have owned my BJ70 is nearly 28 years old (in Canada for 25 years and the States for over 3 years now) and I have NEVER been lacking for a part.

I agree with those that have posted before me. The key here is that you cannot go into NAPA, Advance, etc. and say I need a whatchamacallit for a 1986 Toyota BJ73 ... they'll tap tap tap on their computer keyboard and tell you the vehicle does not exist (or is that the 4.2l carb'd I6?), even if it is rattling away in their parking lot :hillbilly:

However, parts are available through sources and they are easier to find than some other non-USA rigs I have owned in the past (like a Steyr Daimler Puch Pinzgauer). Yes, some parts are unobtainium, but that is more about age than anything else.

Thanks everyone.

A few more things to keep it all in perspective. No, I'm not expecting to go to NAPA for parts, and don't even do that with my current 100-series rigs. I'm used to having to order parts directly from Toyota in the case of the TLC's. I've had vintage Porsche's (356 and 911) and a couple of BMW's and I am used to ordering parts and waiting a week or ten days. Those cars still have lots of support in terms of parts. I just don't want to be stuck for three months waiting for something to come from some random place.

If an HZ motored truck would make life even better, than I can certainly wait for those to become an option. This isn't something I'm planning to do in the next couple of months, and it wouldn't be my daily rig. More of a weekend fun truck.

Having owned several 70 Series Cruisers, including the two I currently own, I have never waited more than a few days for parts. The only exception was waiting on parts for my 2H rebuild which shouldn't be an issue with a modern 1HZ.

In all honesty, anyone looking at any Toyota 7x/8x or diesel should be waiting one more month until the 1HZ and 1HD-T engine become legal for importation. Both engines have *significant* parts support in North America through normal Toyota parts procurement channels.

Chassis will be either 6x specific (all available) or 8x specific (all available).

Transmission parts are all available.

Steering components are all available.

Most all engine components are available (including things like glow plugs, injection pump, cylinder head, cylinder block, etc.)

This development will really open up the Toyota diesel influx in the US with parts support available. I'm looking forward to it.

Beno gives very good advice ..... But some of us have zero patience. ;)

Beno gives very good advice ..... But some of us have zero patience. ;)

It's time to sell the old stuff so I can afford the new stuff. :)

It's time to sell the old stuff so I can afford the new stuff. :)
Sooooooo ..... Are you saying you are selling your latest addition? Is the shifter still glued to the back of your hand? ;)

Have you done the 2mm lift and the 3 inch tyres yet?:hillbilly:
I'm looking for a good parts guy to supply the required items. Any suggestions? ;)

Tom Thumb?:grinpimp:

With all this 1HZ talk, I need to start a thread to convey how cool it is to own a 2H or 13B-T. (Engines that can be repaired with bailing wire and duct tape)

Last edited:
As long as he does not get "short-changed"........:rimshot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom